Front Marker Lamps - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Front Marker Lamps

This is too embarrassing to ask... but I have no options...

I tackled most of my electrical gremlins... removed dead-end wires, connected loose wires, removed/replaced speaker wires (yes, they used those to wire the truck ).

All of the lights work expect the front DS marker lamps... I get 12V at the terminal, which is good...

Now, how on God's green earth I remove the front marker glass covers to change the bulbs???

I've tried twisting them, pulling, from the back... to no avail. I don't want to break anything...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0222.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	40247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0223.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	40248  

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	40249  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Pedro,

Those don't look like the series lights I bought from RDS....mine have two screws that hold the lens to the base.

Sort of an unrelated question, but how do you remove them from the headlight surround panel?
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

You have to get those chrome rings off. Try turning and pulling at the same time. There may be a small hole in the bottom of the bezel.
The light holder base is riveted or screwed into the headlight surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Both the lens and ring are held in place by an outer rubber lip that sits over the base of the lens & ring. The ring keeps the rubber lip surrounding the lens base tight against the lens base. Removal is a matter of prying the rubber lip off the ring then lens base.

First you remove the outer chrome ring. You can use a small fine bladed flat blade screwdriver to pry the rim out. Then do the same for the glass lens.

New rubber boots are available if needed. Reinstalling the lens and ring usually takes me two fine bladed screwdrivers and a little liquid soap for lubricant. You need to pry up the lip that holds the lens or ring in place, push the lens in place and work the lip up around the lens base.

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Pedro,

Those don't look like the series lights I bought from RDS....mine have two screws that hold the lens to the base.

Sort of an unrelated question, but how do you remove them from the headlight surround panel?
Ed, I know very little about these trucks. Learning new things every day. But, I think these are original glass covers. The rear are all Lucas in red.

Also, my headlights worked fine and did not do anything to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
You have to get those chrome rings off. Try turning and pulling at the same time. There may be a small hole in the bottom of the bezel.
The light holder base is riveted or screwed into the headlight surround.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Both the lens and ring are held in place by an outer rubber lip that sits over the base of the lens & ring. The ring keeps the rubber lip surrounding the lens base tight against the lens base. Removal is a matter of prying the rubber lip off the ring then lens base.

First you remove the outer chrome ring. You can use a small fine bladed flat blade screwdriver to pry the rim out. Then do the same for the glass lens.

New rubber boots are available if needed. Reinstalling the lens and ring usually takes me two fine bladed screwdrivers and a little liquid soap for lubricant. You need to pry up the lip that holds the lens or ring in place, push the lens in place and work the lip up around the lens base.
Great info. I'll try that tonight.

P

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Like this one?

http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php...ach=9313;image

I thought that the lens was held in place by the rubber bit, no?

Never mind....I had missed TeriAnn's response.
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
Like this one?

http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php...ach=9313;image

I thought that the lens was held in place by the rubber bit, no?

Never mind....I had missed TeriAnn's response.
The link does not work. It's asking to login.

Can you post the pic?

Here is the back of the truck... Picture from PO.

Thanks,
P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IIA.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	40253  

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Okay, try this one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side light.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	40254  
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:42 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
All the lamps are operational. Thanks!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp