Flat towing a series thoughts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Flat towing a series thoughts?

So I have flat towed our IIA for years so I am good to go there. My question to all of you is whether or not you find it necessary to detach rear drive shaft or just free wheel hubs and put t-case in neutral?

I always removed the rear d-shaft at the rear diff just in case but I need to tow it tomorrow for a short distance and do not want to fuss with the drive shaft.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I fit free wheeling hubs on all four corners. Tom Bache showed me that trick. More than 10 miles I would pull the driveshaft. Manual says, t-case in neutral, trans in 4th.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Yeah I know I just did not want to deal with it for only 45 minutes. I will probably pull it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2010, 01:55 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
You could also just pull the real axles out. Slightly less of a pain that removing the drive shaft in my opinion.

Daniel
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Tallergypsy
Ray Wood
1984 Australian Built 110 4BD1

I've been towing Series around on their wheels using an A frame for thirty years and thousands of miles and never had a problem. The only thing you absolutely have to do is engage the transmission in fourth gear and put the transfer case in neutral. Forget to do this you will damage the transmission.

There is an obvious reason why the transmision gets damaged if you leave the transfer case in gear and put the transmission in neutral (the mistake most people make). Towing with the transfer case engaged causes the gearbox rear main shaft to rotate without the lay shaft rotating. No oil is splashed around in the gear box and the result is that the bronze bushing between third and fourth gear overheats and fails.

Series trucks tow very sweetly and the steering follows the tow car ver precisely - provided of course that the steering relay and box are in good shape.

Ray at Roverdrive

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, series, wing