Electrical Mystery Seeking Solution - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Electrical Mystery Seeking Solution

Had an experience this morning that supports my long running theory that electronic circuitry is based on Black Magic rather than on science.

My wife called me a few minutes ago from a grocery store parking lot and told me that our 110 would not turn over. Earlier today she had shut it down / restarted at least 4 or 5 times without a problem. I had her check the coil wires and try a bunch of other things to no avail. Finally I asked her: have you used / changed anything since it last started: “yes … I turned the heater blower off”. She turned the blower back on and the engine tuned over on the first try.

So in summary: heater motor off = no start; heater motor on = start no problem. She verified this by trying it a few more times.

Is this happening because our electrical voodoo mojo is just lacking today? Or is it possible that our heater switch commandeered control of the coil over the course of the winter? Any ideas that don’t involve sacrificing the family pet, self flagellation or handling snakes would be greatly appreciated (I tried all those with my last electrical problem and none of them work).

One possible clue for any believers in electrical science: the roads are wet today so wires are likely wet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Obviously, the heater blower was supplying the necessary air to keep the Lucas fire burning.... without it= no start!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
check all of your grounds, behind the dash and fuse box and make sure the engine block/starter are well grounded also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 11:02 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
check all of your grounds, behind the dash and fuse box and make sure the engine block/starter are well grounded also.
Exactly. It sounds like the ignition switch is grounding thru the heater.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Do you have a "normal" heater with the fan speed controlled by the lever on the side of the binnacle? It switches the ground side of the fan motor, so that would be pretty damn weird.

You say "not turn over". That means no starter action... But then you talk about the coil..... So, is it cranking but not firing or not cranking?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Exactly. It sounds like the ignition switch is grounding thru the heater.
The ignition switch does not "ground" through anything. It switches the power supply only. The starter, starter relay and coil all ground locally to themselves.

We need a better explanation of what is going on.

Is everything stock or has there been any obvious messing around by a PO with the wiring? What year truck?

Old March 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
It cranks but will not fire unless the heater switch is above the off position. It is the standard variable speed heater control - controlled by the lever next to the binnacle on a ROW 1986.

One detail I had not thought of before: my son messed around with the radio wiring last fall - he knows even less about wiring than I do. The radio still does not work so I assumed he didn't screw anything up and never looked at what he did. The heater motor has likely been on every time we have driven since then - until today. Based on the comments above, if he loosened a ground wire somewhere then this could be the result?
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Really baffling. The heater motor gets switched power via its own fuse and the speed lever switches the ground side of the motor. There should be no interaction with anything else in the wiring.

I would start by pulling the binnacle and looking over the wires that go to the heater switch and looking for problems or PO modifications. Beyond that, you need to grab a meter, a schematic and start tracing faults. If you don't like electrical things, you need to learn fast or find someone that does.

Old March 9th, 2016, 12:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It would be pretty amusing if the PO took the +12V for the ignition from the heater/blower control
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It would be pretty amusing if the PO took the +12V for the ignition from the heater/blower control
That does not explain it though as it is ground switched.

Old March 9th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

If you turn the heater off while the car is running, does it stall or stay running?
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Uncle and good luck. Monopolization is never a good thing.
Old March 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Well at least my Black Magic theory is still in play.
I have not tried to turn the heater off when the truck is running, I will try that tonight.
I will also take a look behind the binnacle and at the fuse box this weekend to look for anomalies - starting with ground wires.
No one has touched the ignition wires and the ignition & starter work fine regardless of the heater position. The engine just won't fire unless the heater is on. Maybe Nomar got it right with the heater fan doubling as a bellows.

------ Follow up post added March 9th, 2016 12:46 PM ------

BTW ... thanks to everyone for the comments and ideas. At least I have a place to start.
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
attached is a wiring diagram of how it should be wired
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0570.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	144646  
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Interesting diagram.
Reading it the switch sends the (-) current to the blower motor.
There are 2 paths one for half speed that has a resistor and one for full speed.
The (+) side of the blower motor gets power through the IGSW and Fuse Box.
This is the same way the late Series III's are hooked up, but for some reason some jackass decided to put an inline fuse in the White with Orange circuit instead of passing it through the fuse box (probably because the Series III fuse box is smaller than the 110).

So I think the real question here is how can a switch that sends (-) power to a blower motor (which is what the diagram shows) interrupt the (+) power going to the coil.
Furthermore, the engine is grounded because it spins over.

Andy, let's try an experiment.
I want you to take a set of jumper cables and attach one to the (-) side of the battery and attach the other side to the coil body (not any of the coil wires) and then turn off the blower and see if the engine starts.
If it does start this way, as weird as it sounds, the ground for the coil at the bulkhead is being drawn through the base of the blower motor.
And the (+) is not being interrupted to the coil.
Andy please verify this with a test light to the (+) side of the coil with the key on the run position, but the blower switched off.
Please ground the test light to the (-) battery and not have the jumper cable to the coil from the (-) battery when you run this test.

My guess is with the blower switched off the engine will shut down without the (-) jumper cable mentioned above.

If this is as I describe the problem is the bulkhead is not properly grounded.
If it is not, I have no idea what is wrong.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My heater blower motor would run whether the car was switched on or not, I replaced the fuse and it was fine. I would start with replacing the fuse for the blower motor and for the ignition.
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:16 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Great, thank you. I will try the jumper cables and also replace the fuses. Hopefully I can get to it tonight and will report back. I won't be home Thursday or Friday so if I can't get to it tonight I may not report back until this weekend.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
and the verdict is ????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical