Defender Source Forum banner

Electric Fan controller?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ontheway 
#1 ·
hi all,
I have my S3 109 200tdi up and running again. Now my thoughts turn to improving the electric fan control. Currently I have a Kenlowe unit in place. I dislike the fact that I can't manually switch the fan on or off from inside the truck. The ability to set a temperature for my fan to come on at is nice though. I also dislike the fact that the temperature sensor goes inside the radiator and protrudes through the end of the hose. seems like its asking for a leak there.

Can anyone recommend a fan controller that they really like?

Cheers

#2 ·
If you want to manually switch the fan, that should be simple to add with the current controller. You should also be able to move the probe to a proper port. I use the AC temperature switch port.

#3 ·
Check out red90's homepage. One day I'll round to doing my own web page

#4 ·
I have the X-engineering one. Requires you cut the rad hose (top or bottom apparently doesn't matter but I cut the bottom. Reason being I want the fans to come on if the rad doesn't do enough cooling which is measured at the bottom hose.) I believe you can add an override switch to this system. The thermostatic probe has 2 options for on and off (different temps). In the winter I have it on the higher temp and in the summer it's on the lower temp but mine is connected to my A/C fan (I have a viscous in place) and in the summer that fan is on most of the time. It is nice though when off roading with the windows down and a/c off to have the fan come on at cooler temps.

#6 ·
The FAL controllers are not a great idea for an off road vehicle. They don't do wet.

Dccontrol work well or go the more traditional waterproof relay and standard temperature switch route with your own wiring. You can drill and tap the AC switch port on the t. stat housing for a switch of your choice.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Your concern is shared with the Kenlowe fan.
I'm looking for something simple, effective and robust.

The 200TDI doesn't really get that hot in the first place, but right now the whole setup is just too much of a bodge for my liking.

#9 ·
If you still have the aluminum coolant outlet that mounts just above the thermostat, there is a thermo-switch that will control your fan.
This is best done via a 3 way switch with 1 or 2 relays, depending on how you wire it.
The 3 way is wired to:
On all the time
On only when the thermo-switch comes on via the coolant temp
Off all the time (for wading)

#10 ·
What's wrong with the one you have? If it is installed the way the instructions tell you to, it works great and doesn't leak. The wiring diagram shows an option for having a remote switch. The one I bought from the display board at my local auto parts store works perfectly and has for at least twelve years. Easily adjustable.

#11 ·
In between the fan being installed for the first time, the engine and radiator were removed and put on a pallet for export from the UK and arrival into the US.
During that process, some pieces went missing, including that piece that the sending unit rests on, that sits between it and the hose.

I could just stick it in the radiator and gum everything up with silicone, but it seems a bodge job.

I did pull the wiring diagram from Kenlowe's site, but the remote switch diagram I saw was for a two speed operation, not an on/off switch. I'll look again.

Lastly the fan itself doesn't seem particularly stout.

#12 ·
What John said.
I fitted a simple on-off temp switch from Summit Racing, wired to the ground side of a Hella waterproof relay and fuse holder mounted on the RH inner wing. On at 195, off at 185. Fan was on there when I bought it; I'd have to look for some markings, but it does have it's own plastic shroud.

#13 ·
I don't trust the Kenlow control. Or it may just be the hodgepodge wiring jobby by our mate good ol shade tree bob in the UK

I wired a bypass on off switch. And BTW considering at highway speeds she never gets over 180 or so until I hit a hill I always know when to switch it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.