Does anyone sell a SS set for a series2 88? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Does anyone sell a SS set for a series2 88?

Since its going to be a Beach Rover, I'm compiling the parts to galvanize but I want to use SS bolts everywhere I can....But does someone sell SS kit for the Series like is done for the Defender?
Also, what is the best washer to use in conjunction with the SS bolts and nuts to prevent galvanic corrosion?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I'm not an engineer, and I don't play one on TeeVee...

But this interest in Stainless fastners in contact with aluminum puzzles me.

The charts that I've seen discussing galvanic corrosion seem to place stainless further from alloy than zinc (a galvanized fastner).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ga...ion-d_906.html

Tell me why I'm wrong....please...

Here's a table with some potential numbers.. http://www.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/...256B490032613D
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I want to say it was crown14 that started a build thread he was doing for a customer where he galvanized everything, I mean everything and used stainless for all the fasteners because it was going to be a beach truck. Very very sweet job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
JBinAlabama
john

Interesting!
I suspect that the most important factor is the washer surface between the two!
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
I'm not an engineer, and I don't play one on TeeVee...

But this interest in Stainless fastners in contact with aluminum puzzles me.

The charts that I've seen discussing galvanic corrosion seem to place stainless further from alloy than zinc (a galvanized fastner).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ga...ion-d_906.html

Tell me why I'm wrong....please...

Here's a table with some potential numbers.. http://www.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/...256B490032613D
Yes, normal plated fasteners are usually Cadmiun or Zinc, which is better... Most stainless fasteners are weak as well.
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:30 AM
dav1550
Dave Morgan
74 SIII 109sw / 00 SII

Admittedly I’m near ashamed to say went way over the top on necessary fixings, but I got fanatical here and there on the restoration on mine…… here’s a photo of the fixings for the outer wings…http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...1/100_0213.jpg
Stainless ¼ - 28 , washer and lock washer, with hard fiber washers……

Yes; I know it was over kill in that application and a few other locations on the 109…..But getting back to the original question……. Wasn’t able to come across a kit per-say of stainless fixings for the truck, but found that McMaster Carr (out of Atlanta) was as good a source as any in acquiring the stainless fixings, nylon, fiber and assorted insulation washers….

I had a list of sorts at one time of what went where, but it boils down to ¼-24 & 5/16-28 in a couple differing lengths will cover most applications where high strength is not needed on a series truck, such as the stock sill brackets, roof, wing fixings, etc, etc,

Though overall you’ll be well ahead of warding off corrosion and deterioration of the truck by good assembly practices, paint in itself makes for isolation between alloys, along with caulking applied where called for….. What I’m trying to say and not to belittle the original assembly as they were slapping these things together on a 60's / 70’s era assembly line with the goal getting units out the door,,,,,, is that just the fact of hand assembly and fretting the small stuff in putting the truck together as it should have been done will go a long way in keeping the gulf waters from turning your creation to dust any time soon…

Best of fortune
Dave
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
JBinAlabama
john

Thanks Guys,

Hey Dave, what isolating washers did you use?
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

There is a company in the UK that sells kits for rovers.
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Albersj51
jason
1967 2a

Dav1550- would you happen to have the list of fasteners from your resto? I hope to start reassembling in the next few months and this would be very helpful! No where if there List of bolts, washers, etc
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
dav1550
Dave Morgan
74 SIII 109sw / 00 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinAlabama View Post
Thanks Guys,

Hey Dave, what isolating washers did you use?

Naïve as I was the first batch of washers I got were insulating washers, like for in the use of wiring electrical connections; some type of composite fiber deals that worked fine, but foolish in application due to cost……….. What I ended up using mostly as an isolation washer were PVC washers along with a scattering of nylon washers here and there…..
I got like a sack of a couple hundred in both PVC & natural nylon for ¼” and 5/16” bolts and that pretty much took care of the majority of the fixings other than the small #10/5m bolts, which one small pack of nylon washers was a plenty.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2011 07:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albersj51 View Post
Dav1550- would you happen to have the list of fasteners from your resto? I hope to start reassembling in the next few months and this would be very helpful! No where if there List of bolts, washers, etc
Sorry to say no, I don’t have a list of the fixings………When I was in the midst of the rebuild kept a ruff running total of what to order from McMaster Carr, but it never materialized into a definitive list,,, short on the 5/16 bolts as I recall and too plentiful with the ¼” when all was said and done so discarded it….
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Fyi I have come across lists for fasteners needed for various series.
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:47 PM
JBinAlabama
john

COOL Guys!

Airborne, will yo share your series list?
I'm doing an 88 (or 2 now)

I think the delrin washer from McMaster Carr makes the most sense.
Does anyone know what ECR uses?

Thanks Again!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Another option you might consider is to have your original hardware re-zinc plated. I did this when I went through my 88" the first time. As I took the rig apart I bagged and tagged every little bolt then made a list of what was in each bag (i didn't save this unfortunately) and dumped them all into a bucket when I was done. Took the bucket down to the local zinc plate place in Oakland. IIRC it was about $50. The hardware came back looking brand new except the ones with paint on them. I still save every nut and bolt and have at least another bucket or two to take down to the zinc plater eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 2005 009.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	40597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 2005 011.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	40598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 2005 012.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	40599  
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
JBinAlabama
john

Great idea!

I will do that!
I have been bagging and tagging all parts and hardware as I remove it so this is logical!
PS: GREAT LOOKING DASH!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series