Clutch problems any ideas? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Clutch problems any ideas?

So I put another motor into a 1965 Series IIa. The truck was not running so I have no idea how it acted before. The new(used) motor had a new pressure plate and clutch disk. It was different that the one that was on the motor that came out of the truck (the original one had that big washer "thing" in the middle of the pressure plate, and the one on the new motor did not). Started it up and it runs great but I can not get it to go into gear, it just grinds. So I did the following:
1. Max out all the adjustments for the clutch.
2. Put a new slave cylinder on.
3. Removed the drivers side wing and replaced the clutch master cylinder, ah
4. bled the system out so many time my hands are raw from cold brake fluid

Any ideas what could be going on here? I am thinking of pulling the motor again and going back to the old pressure plate and clutch disk, OR is this a transmission problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!! I will have pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Are you sure the slave is moving the linkage inside the bellhousing. Maybe one of the pins in the linkage is broken/missing and it cant release the clutch.

Hope this helps.

Daniel
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Yep, I pulled the pin on the outside of the bell housing and feel the resistance. I guess I am going to need to yank the motor again. Argh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM
s3landy
Mike Wallace

The clutch plate with the big washer assembly is the old style typically for series 11,11a and the newer type without it is for series 111. Aside from the washer assembly, as long as the diameters are the same the old style can be used in place of the new style but only by removing the washer assembly. If you try to use a newer style with an older thow out assembly it won't work.

Mike
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Daniel asked this but I didn't see you respond Byron, but to be sure it's bled you should have someone press the clutch in and verify the linkage is moving. Perhaps force the linkage by hand and make sure it disengages that way?
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
s3landy
Mike Wallace

With the new style pressure plate and the old style throw out assembly, you now have a 1/2" gap that you can't make up so it won't work.

Mike
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3landy View Post
With the new style pressure plate and the old style throw out assembly, you now have a 1/2" gap that you can't make up so it won't work.

Mike
Exactly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, problems