Chassis swap: Military SIII 109 2-door under IIA 109 Station Wagon - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:15 PM
1953lr80
Jeremy
'51 80", RRC, LR3

Chassis swap: Military SIII 109 2-door under IIA 109 Station Wagon

I am contemplating the purchase of a Series IIA 109 civilian Station Wagon that needs a new chassis, but only if my brother's Series III 109 military 2-door chassis will go under it 'readily.'

Having searched it appears that this would not be straightforward because it would require cutting off brackets and trial-and-error fitting, mostly related to B-pillar and rear seat brackets/mounts. The brackets on the rear crossmember may also be different.

I know that for some people this is easy, but I know my limitations when it comes to fabrication work.

Anybody have direct experience with this?

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
No experience, but it sounds like a bitch.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:30 PM
1953lr80
Jeremy
'51 80", RRC, LR3

Thanks, Jeff.
That confirms what I'd suspected and I have enough experience to know to steer clear of the project.
The 3-door military chassis is very nice but we'll find it a home under an exMOD 109.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The military chassis is slightly stronger, has the removable gearbox crossmember too, and also the lower (front) spring hangers (think the rears are just extended shackles? It's been years since I was under one)...square rear crossmember though.

/If/ you had the room, you could strip both vehicles down to the chassis, then compare and chop/weld the needed brackets off the mil chassis to the civvy one.
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

I've got one in my driveway. I've put about 100,000 miles on it since I bought it in 1999.
Old April 18th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

I didn't make the swap but I understand it wasn't that difficult.
I don't know the differences in mounting the tub vs. four door SW but a few brackets can be moved from the old chassis to the new one. Rear tub brackets are the same. As mentioned, removable crossmember under the gearboxes, two position front spring mounts at front and rear so by swapping between military shackles and civi you can do a proper 2" lift. Crossmember at front driveshaft is made to make greater clearance. The chassis spring bushings are a different size than the civi model. Rear crossmember is rectangular rather than tapering at the rear corners.

What else? H'mm?
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:39 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Yes, I've done it. It not bad actually. Tub supports need to be modified for the drop floor for the second row seating and that's really about it. Takes a bit of light welding.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
109, door, siii