Blank Clock Dash Panel??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Blank Clock Dash Panel???

I have read the enormous VDO thread and find no mention of anyone selling alternate Dash Panel plate where the factory clock, lighter and Hazard are normally. I would like a new one that I can fit a round VDO Clock to. ANy ideas for alternate ones? I found 1 stainless version on UK ebay, but it was drilled for regular switches.

Machine shop item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Does a VDO clock even fit in there?
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Many people have done it, why wouldn't it. The factory clock fits, and a VDO is not really any bigger, just round and not rectangular.

The factory clock uses a plastic bushing flywheel motor, that simply wears out. WHy on earth someone made one with a cheap plastic bushing is beyond me. We are talking saving MAYBE 1 cent per clock... MAYBE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I have made them from a rigid plastic that I buy from out local plastics supplier.

Its very easy to work with and has a slight texture to blend with dash panel, if your interested I could get you the name of the plastic so you could try and source it local.

I use 3/16" but there is other sizes availabe. I can get some pics of it and a dash panel I built for my series 2a .

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Stephen Peters, Safari HP, made some out of aluminum, both black and silver, with all the cut outs, maybe he could make one with out a cut out. Call him.

Old February 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I will check with him... in the meantime I think I found something that fills all my needs. The Raptor Engineering center (centre) console. It does negate the need for the panel cutout cover. http://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk/

Ed- I would like the name of the plastic you were using. I used to work with sheet plastics, but forgot about every name.... A memory jog would be great!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
clock, dash