Anyone here done a 200tdi swap into Series? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Question Anyone here done a 200tdi swap into Series?

I can't believe I'm even thinking about this route, but I recently scored a tub and am getting ready to start my chassis swap / rebuild on my '71 IIA 88".

Pulling the tired 2.25 petrol is obviously on the list. So....if it's out, I'd LOVE to slap in a 200tdi.

My question is - who here has done it? Are there minimal mods needed to pull this off? It's also worth mentioning that I'm not interested in changing the chassis....I've got a nice galvy number at the moment and don't want to compromise the finish.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Here you go and she (Teriann) is also on this board.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...conversion.htm
Old December 25th, 2013, 06:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Here you go and she (Teriann) is also on this board.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...conversion.htm
Interesting...I had NOT seen that. Did a quick read, but will look in more detail...however from what I see looks like a Disco 200 will fit the factory mounts (which I did not want to modify). It's giving me some hope here.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Baaaaahaaaaaa......

Awesome! Merry Christmas Jaydro
Old December 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bobeck. Go see his.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Oh lord

I don't want to hear any more nonsense from anyone...

I've lost the title. Jaydro is the new king.

Old December 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Oh lord

That would require years of observed behavior....I think your title is safe for some time. Besides you still have YOLO
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Oh lord

The difference? I'll actually get my shit done . Plus, I'm buying parts for trucks that I actually OWN (not hoarding shit for something I don't have). Hell, if I can score myself a set of 88 axles I'll have a rolling chassis assembled in a New York minute.

Plus, fixing a truck thy I've owned for 10 years doesn't put me into Jaydro status just yet. Though admittedly my hair brained thought du jour of a diesel conversion does get me close.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Nobody I know of...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Nobody I know of...
between you and Dave I'm kind of surprised he asked the question. I suggested Dave since that's not even 7 miles away.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 25th, 2013, 08:27 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Bobeck. Go see his.
Apparently I'm an idiot...no idea how this didn't dawn on me. Though now that I do think about it for some reason I didn't/don't think his is complete an/or running. But he obviously knows his stuff, will hit him up!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:00 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

He has tons of info on the 200di conversions. I think on his blog he put up something about 200tdi into a series so I'm sure you could glean some information out of it. (edit: scroll down on the oily blog to 4/7/11 for some info there. He may have more stuff on his facebook page) Richard was very knowledgeable. Did my 2.25 petrol to 200tdi in about a half a day when I was living in the UK for my daily driver 90.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

He has tons of info on the 200di conversions. I think on his blog he put up something about 200tdi into a series so I'm sure you could glean some information out of it. (edit: scroll down on the oily blog to 4/7/11 for some info there. He may have more stuff on his facebook page) Richard was very knowledgeable. Did my 2.25 petrol to 200tdi in about a half a day when I was living in the UK for my daily driver 90.
What are the thoughts on skipping the turbo when putting the 200 into a Series? It seems that in this scenario, you can also just use the stock Series radiator (a plus since mine is only a couple years old). What he says about the stress the additional low end torque the turbo puts out can have on the gearbox & rear axle makes sense...don't want to start breaking stuff.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:39 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
What are the thoughts on skipping the turbo when putting the 200 into a Series? It seems that in this scenario, you can also just use the stock Series radiator (a plus since mine is only a couple years old). What he says about the stress the additional low end torque the turbo puts out can have on the gearbox & rear axle makes sense...don't want to start breaking stuff.
Yeah. If you read everything he's got on his site related to 200 anything you can learn a lot. Lots of people are very anti removing the turbo because "it doesn't make sense" even though it does in this case as he has laid out. He has a lot on there. If I get stationed back in the UK ever I'm going to buy a tax free series and have him convert it to 200di and that will be that.

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yeah. If you read everything he's got on his site related to 200 anything you can learn a lot. Lots of people are very anti removing the turbo because "it doesn't make sense" even though it does in this case as he has laid out. He has a lot on there. If I get stationed back in the UK ever I'm going to buy a tax free series and have him convert it to 200di and that will be that.
I was a little surprised about the turbo removal....but then once you think about it, I don't want to start snapping half shafts or a ring & pinion on a regular basis. And as he said, if you need to do 80mph a Series isn't for you. I can do 70 in mine as-is (no overdrive) but it sounds like a jet taking off, and I've felt that is the threshold for as fast as I want/need to go in that tin can. And let's face it....a Series is a death trap as they are.

Question: is a turbo-less 200Tdi as dogish as a 2.5NA?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Did you read this page? http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200difaq.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glencoyne Website

• "It will be really slow. I know because I've driven a Disco with a failed turbo, and that was slow."
I'm sure it was. After all, a Disco 1 is about 50% heavier than an 88 inch Series vehicle, much higher geared, with more rolling resistance from the permament 4wd. And of course a Disco is intended to offer car-like levels of performance and refinement, and only just manages to do so on 111 bhp, so if you lose some power you'll really notice the difference. It's not really the same kind of vehicle as a Series II or III, is it? I'm not saying that a 200Di is as fast as a TDi. Of course it isn't - it's probably got around 30-35% less power. But if you are happy with the performance of a good standard 2.25 petrol, you'll be just as happy with a 200Di. If you are running a 2.25 diesel or an old tired 2.25 petrol with worn bores I can guarantee you will feel the difference - in both performance and economy. And if you do the 200Di conversion and then feel you need more power, just put the turbo back on (along with the intercooler, oil cooler and a free-flowing exhaust).
  • "If you want a non-turbo engine, why not just fit a 2.5 diesel from an old 90 or 110?"
Fair question, but I reckon the 200Di makes more sense than the old 2.5 N/A, and here's why. Firstly, to fit a 12J diesel (from a 90 or 110) to a Series vehicle you need to cut and weld the offside engine mounting on the chassis, as the 12J has a low-mounted injection pump and will foul the chassis. No great problem if you can weld to a reasonable standard, but not ideal if you have a nice new galvanised chassis, and it can be tricky to get the modifications exactly right so that the engine sits level in the chassis. There is another version of this engine, the 15J (ex Sherpa 300 van) which has a high mounted pump, but this one doesn't have a sealed timing cover which makes it less than useful for off-roading. And timing belts for the Sherpa engine are now almost impossible to find. In any case, whether 12J or 15J, both have the same fuel injection, cylinder head and combustion chamber design as the old 2.25 diesel. So although significantly more powerful than a 2.25 they still aren't going to be as good as an engine with direct injection, either in terms of throttle response or fuel economy.

Old December 25th, 2013, 10:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I had not made it that far yet....but that's GOOD stuff right there. I'm actually thinking drop in a 200 sans turbo/intercooler, especially if I can bolt that stuff on later.

So I guess it may soon be time to get my hands on a Disco 200! (cough)
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 25th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I ran a 200tdi withi the stock series raditor with a standard 200tdi intercooler next to it for some time and it worked well. I used a disco 200tdi with a defender exhaust manifold, with the alternator relocated to the top left of the engine (when looking it it from the front of the truck). In my opinion, it is not worth running the 200tdi without the turbo. If you go easy on it, you can keep the stock 4 speed series tranny and stock running gear. With this setup, I even had room to run power steering from a D1/defender .
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
In my opinion, it is not worth running the 200tdi without the turbo.
Glad you said this.
It is not worth doing without the turbo.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 26th, 2013, 06:13 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you are thinking of ditching the turbo because it's too difficult to fit with the orignal tins and radiator and all, you are only partially correct. There are solutions tho, and getting an intercooler in there isn't all that hard a problem. No, it won't be a Rover type intercooler, and it may take some creative fitting, but it can be done.
The turbo itself can be relocated by using a 300 turbo. Ez peezy.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, series, tdi