Another Series 3 gearbox ???????????/ - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2015, 11:10 AM
73S3BLIMEY
Steve LaHue
1973 LR S3 88

Question Another Series 3 gearbox ???????????/

73 SIII 88 - Blimey
The problems: Jumps out of reverse, Under climbing load heavy clicking noise, cruising light clicking noise, definite slop in drive train, usual leaks, never feels like it is in first but it never jumps out.
My son is a heavy equipment mechanic and is convinced we can rebuild it,
My question: other than a kit of seals, bearings, bushings, syncros, and gaskets, are there any major parts which "always" need changed?
While we are asking for guesses, who will win the Belmont Stakes?
I also cannot find a schematic of the transmission with all of the parts named so we will know the names of the parts we identify needing replacement.( Rovers North only names the parts you can buy from them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2015, 12:21 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
The LR Workshop manual (The Green Bible) has step by step Lego style instructions for rebuilding your transmission. Anyone can do it with a good set of picks, snap ring pliers, and patience. Sounds like you may have a bad lay shaft bearing, and like you said its good to replace the other bearings while you're in there. You pretty much nailed the list of the essentials to change, just inspect every gear for chips, pits, and other general wear and replace as necessary. Also, gears and transmission parts are getting hard to find, so RN charges accordingly, it may be cheaper to look to Paddock or Craddock for spares as well.
When resealing I would NOT recommend the factory recommended hylomar, yeah it's technically what's called for, but there was no greater feeling of defeat than properly resealing a whole transmission and STILL having it leak like sieve. Any non-corrosive (towards aluminum) RTV should work effectively.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:20 PM
73S3BLIMEY
Steve LaHue
1973 LR S3 88

Thank you

Appreciate the input. I do have a green book. Probably because I have never taken a gearbox apart, I was having trouble putting the pictures of an assembly to where it goes in the box. Also afraid I would see a broken something and not know what it was called. I just found a Haynes manual with a good parts named schematic. I have had good luck getting parts from English companies. Shop 4 Parts has rebuild kits for the gearbox and transfer case that contain the disposable rebuild parts and gears and shafts if needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series