Alternator Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Alternator Question

My random Argentine alternator only charges above a certain RPM, around 1000 or so, so I assume it must be from some other vehicle. Wouldn't a normal alt charge at idle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

We had a similar issue with a scout alt. that would kick in and charge when revved up. I'm completely guessing here but it may be the hot wire that feeds the regulator or the regulator itself. Does it continue to charge once it kicks in or do you have to keep it revved up for it to charge?
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's so damn sporadic. The truck actually died today at the end of a test drive. So the alt doesn't know when to charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

is it a generator or alternator?
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
is it a generator or alternator?
Alternator

Semper Fi!
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

gotcha... should work then
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:14 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Im having the same problem and mines an alt. It charges above 850-900 but at an idle at a stop sign it will start to disscharge. Its a GM type alt im thinking its just turning to slow at idle. It has a hand throttle so i bump it up in the winter or at night so it will charge in stop and go traffic. I have thought about a smaller pully to get it to spin faster?. Its a real pain and would like to fix it if possible.

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Shoot, I think you are on to something I didn't catch. The alternator has the larger pulley swapped over from the generator, so it's likely spinning slower anyway.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Is it worth the hassle? Just get a proper alternator and pulley... It should charge at idle.
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Is it worth the hassle? Just get a proper alternator and pulley... It should charge at idle.
No, hence the question. I'll be getting a new alt.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
An alternator at idle will be putting out such a paltry few amps that it is virtually not charging at all. There are some diodes that are what they call "Low turn on" in that the alternator will begin charging at a much lower RPM. It isn't unusual that you aren't seeing any amps below 1000.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
An alternator at idle will be putting out such a paltry few amps that it is virtually not charging at all. There are some diodes that are what they call "Low turn on" in that the alternator will begin charging at a much lower RPM. It isn't unusual that you aren't seeing any amps below 1000.
Understood, but by that logic the motor is running off the battery, which doesn't make sense in a low RPM truck that could spend much of it's life off road below 1000 rpm.

Either way, the alt is intermittently charging.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

What flavor and model number is it? The alt. that is.
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce
What flavor and model number is it? The alt. that is.
No clue. Argentine special!

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Understood, but by that logic the motor is running off the battery, which doesn't make sense in a low RPM truck that could spend much of it's life off road below 1000 rpm.

Either way, the alt is intermittently charging.
It's not "logic" it's the way it is, no matter what alternator you have. Yes, alternators do charge intermittently. The alternator voltage sense wire is connected to the battery to determine the battery's voltage (or state of charge if you will). The alternator voltage regulator turns on the alternator output based on a factory low set point, usually somewhere around 13 volts.
Once the VR turns on the output the alternator will charge as much as it possibly can given a particular RPM. When the battery voltage once again reaches the high set point the alternator will turn itself off. The engine could be revving at 4000 rpm and the alternator will not be charging. This kind of VR is "dumb" in that it's power output curve is linear. There are external VRs that are "smart" in that they provide stepped increments of battery charge voltage based on the battery state of charge. That is, bulk charge, absorption charge, and float charge (there's a fourth charge rate called equalization that an alternator can't really handle).

If your battery is at, say, 14.4 volts at idle, then the alternator is not going to put out any charge current because the battery is full.
Hope that makes sense to you.

If anything, your alternator's VR is bad, but since you say it does put out charge, it is probably not that.

1968 2A 88

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It puts out a charge, but is intermittent for some reason. At idle, it won't charge, but when I rev the motor it does. Then when I drive the truck it starts to run off the battery.

I still disagree that a motor idling is running off the battery (my logic point), as a motor is supposed to run by itself if you disconnect the battery. Am I off base on that? I've always diagnosed engine electrics that way.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
BS. My stock 200TDI alternator gives a solid 13.5 volts at idle with the lights on and heater on full. I have a dash mounted digital gauge and know how the alternator is performing all of the time.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just went out to the garage and checked the system again. It won't charge at idle, and when I rev the motor I get about 13v if I'm lucky. When I disconnect the battery the truck dies. In old skool auto mechanics this points to the alt as the culprit. The VR is an Echlin VR-32 and is new.

Semper Fi!
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
On a vehicle with an alternator, don't disconnect the battery while the engine is running. You can fry the diodes in the alternator as there will be no sense voltage and the alternator can run up the voltage pretty quickly.

Sounds like you need a new one. And, a proper sized pulley. I have some extra pulleys here if you need one but they are available elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Just went out to the garage and checked the system again. It won't charge at idle, and when I rev the motor I get about 13v if I'm lucky. When I disconnect the battery the truck dies. In old skool auto mechanics this points to the alt as the culprit. The VR is an Echlin VR-32 and is new.
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
On a vehicle with an alternator, don't disconnect the battery while the engine is running. You can fry the diodes in the alternator as there will be no sense voltage and the alternator can run up the voltage pretty quickly.
like in less than half a second. There is such a thing as a "zap stop" for knuckle heads who do that or have a 1,2,BOTH,OFF switch and turn it to off when the engine is running.

------ Follow up post added December 6th, 2011 01:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
BS. My stock 200TDI alternator gives a solid 13.5 volts at idle with the lights on and heater on full. I have a dash mounted digital gauge and know how the alternator is performing all of the time.
Your battery should be reading 14.2-14.4 when the alternator is actually producing current. At 13.5 it's doing zippo. That's resting voltage for a fully charged battery. In addition a dash mounted gauge will be suffering some amount of voltage drop due to the wire resistance. Only when you put a multimeter across the battery terminals will you get a proper reading.

1968 2A 88

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator