Defender Source Forum banner

Adapter plate for series

Tags
series
4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  1962siia88 
#1 ·
Hey all:

I'm attempting to make an adapter plate to mount a 2.8l chevy vortec/atlas to my series 2a transmission. This is my first time ever doing anything like this without a "kit" so I'm trying to learn as I go. Feel free to point out all the ways I'm blowing it if you want. I'm aware that this engine might very well break my series transmission, but I want to give it a shot. I'm trying to make something similar to a Scotty's adapter for this engine. I've milled down the chevy bellhousing and a series flywheel cover and got them to the combined thickness to have the series clutch release mechanism work properly with the chevy pressure plate and now I'm on to the issue of getting everything centered.

Here's a pic from a bit ago to show the rough basics of the adapter:

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/crockettbrat/?action=view&current=P1010735.jpg

I've now bolted the portion of the chevy bell housing to the engine and I've bolted a series 2a 4cyl bell housing to the portion of the series flywheel cover and I've got the thing all clamped together. Using a dial indicator on a magnetic base on the flywheel I'm getting everything centered and I have a goal of being within .005" of center. When I stopped for today I was out by .017" so I'm close. A little more filing and I'll be there.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227/crockettbrat/xnn project/?action=view&current=P1010045.jpg

I'm concerned about the lack of precision fit between the series bell housing and flywheel cover. It seems like the centering will be thrown off when bolting up the series bell housing to my adapter plate. The series bell housing is cast aluminum and the mating surface isn't machined. I'm going to make a bushing out of bronze (like with a Scotty adapter and the stock series set up) that will live in the center of the flywheel to hold the end of the transmission shaft in place, but I really want things lined up properly so this new set up has a chance to last without eating parts up from misalignment.

Am I incorrect on the precision of the series bell housing and flywheel cover? Do Scotty's adapters address this somehow that I'm missing? Any input appreciated as I want to get this centered properly before I weld the two parts of the adapter together.

Thanks.

Daniel

ps- I'm also doing a SOA and adding power steering and hydroboost brakes while I'm at it. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm aware that this engine might very well break my series transmission, but I want to give it a shot.
A 2.8 Chevy? Doubt it. A V8 maybe.

I cannot see how you are going to benefit from using the 2a transmission. Why not use a chevy bellhousing, an NP435 and try to mate the Rover transfer case to the New Process gearbox? Even better use a Dana 18 transfer case that you can put a drum brake on, has the correct offset and can be fitted with super low gears? That way you need only clearance the frame crossmember for the front axle. Since you are doing a spring over, your prop shaft angle will improve greatly with the TC output further back. A relocation kit will place the transfer case controls in the same place as the old Rover ones. Yes you lose the yellow knob, but the new "bulletproof" transmission/TC will give you way better low end gearing and you can fit it with a Saturn overdrive. While you are at it, drop in an LS6 instead of the 2.8. It weighs about the same and has about three times the HP.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. My next project will have a v8. This project is to see if there is a modern version of the standard Scottys iron duke swap. I don't have to modify my bulkhead for this or move the radiator out to fit anything. The 2.8 is all aluminum and puts out similar power as a rover v8. The engines are readily available and cost almost nothing (I paid $250 for the engine and 5sp tranny)

I will probably use a np435 and adapt it to the series tc as this has been done by others if and when I break the series gear box but I want to see if the series gear box can handle the power of this engine.

Any input on centering the engine and transmission? Thanks.

Daniel

#5 ·
I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as 02batsea. You could save yourself a lot of work by using a trans that already mates up to your chevy motor. They just work on adapting the series t-case to that transmission. BTW advance adapters has a series tcase adapter on the market now. In my opinion the series t-case is the strongest part of the equation.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Steve I may take you up on the help at some point.

Regarding the usual manual transmissions (sm465, np435,etc) none of them mate to this engine without an adapter and no one makes an adapter yet. I've seen several builds using the 5 cyl engine with the 4l60e mated to Toyota t cases. This engine came with the automatic so I could go that route but I don't want an automatic in this rig.

Any way. I'll probably just get the centering to within .005" and weld it. I'll let folks know how it goes.

Daniel

#7 ·
My quote from Novack Adapters for a new NP435, Dana 18 adapter, Ford bellhousing and throwout bearing, arm and hydraulic conversion kit was about 2k including shipping.

#8 ·
Hey Jeff

It came with the aisin ma5 tranny.

I had a line on a scottys adapter but it fell through. They centering pin holes on the Scotty will line up with this engine but the bolt holes are all off. I was originally going to use one and fill the original holes and drill new ones to fit the 2.8. At this point I'm committed to giving this a shot.

Thanks.

Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.