A $5k Land Rover Series III 88" - What would you expect? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:33 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

A $5k Land Rover Series III 88" - What would you expect?

What would you expect to see for a $5k Land Rover Series III 88"? I saw one that was a diesel, pretty beat on the inside. Ran ok, but had a whine in 4th gear. Brakes were horrible! Ride was extremely bumpy. Needs some tlc on the inside, like floor mats, door panels, and 1 window frame. Body wasn't perfect, but it was pretty straight. Not much rust. Lower miles. Lots of oil around the engine. Soft top.

Would something like this be worth $5k? Or would you expect to find something that was pretty much restored at that price?

I am asking to temporarily fill my need for a Defender.

Also, can these diesel's even get fast enough to drive on the freeway? I didn't test it out, but something was telling me that it would be lucky to get going 50-60mph. I already know it would be loud as hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:47 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

For a min I thought you were talking about this one

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1662533450.html
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Goo! That looks pretty rough. I would say the price is HIGH. What can you get though for $5k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2010, 01:15 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

5k gets you a worn out truck but with a solid frame and bulkhead, or a sorted truck that needs welding. Restored is 10k+ usually.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:55 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

So this guy got a total bargain for $6k is what you are saying?

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...nto-buy-37538/

------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2010 01:01 AM ------

The bulkhead on the one I saw was ok. There was a little hole in the right side by your feet, and on the left on the outside of the frame. Both are very small holes. Maybe a pencil size hole on the left outside, and a dime size hole in the inside right by the passenger's foot. I assume this will need replacing.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:54 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
For a min I thought you were talking about this one

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1662533450.html

this is all original Land Rover and it is rust free

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have a 10k formula that holds pretty true. To have a decent, safe, solid driver is 10k. If you pay 5 expect to put 5 into it. if you pay 8 expect it to need anther 2. etc, etc. If a new frame is needed add 4k. This is for rigs that go through my shop and has shown to be realistic. If you do the work yourself that will obviously save large $$.

A 2.25 diesel will not drive at hwy speeds very well even if fitted with an OD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

This truck seems to be a steal for the price
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/1663958052.html
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

A guy here in Woodside had a series that he sold here on the board to a member. Not sure what year it was but it looked very fairly rust free and ran like a top. I think he got 6k for it. It was the yellow one that had everything painted on it. Anyone know who bought it? I think it went to the midwest.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Does seem like a steal for a solid truck on a galv frame....the only thing i wonder is why would you need to "pull it away"

I sold my 1961 109 in January to a guy that said he would be back for it in 2 weeks. Its now been 3 months and he is overseas on a job and wont be back for at least another month. He is willing to take a loss on it if you are interested. Its a frame off restoration.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
had a whine in 4th gear. Brakes were horrible! Ride was extremely bumpy. Needs some tlc on the inside, like floor mats, door panels, and 1 window frame. Body wasn't perfect, but it was pretty straight. Not much rust. Lower miles. Lots of oil around the engine. Soft top.
In other words, it was a perfectly normal Series Land Rover

Quote:
I am asking to temporarily fill my need for a Defender.
Big mistake. they may look similar but the overall experience is very different.

Quote:
Also, can these diesel's even get fast enough to drive on the freeway? I didn't test it out, but something was telling me that it would be lucky to get going 50-60mph. I already know it would be loud as hell.
I've driven from DC to Maine in a 109 diesel SW. There were times I could barely make the 40mph posted minimum speed. They are fine on the flat and going downhill. Any kind of uphill grade, forget about it...

I have sold two series land rovers in my life, both 88's in good solid running condition, both for the same price of $6500. Maybe could have gotten a bit more but probably not much. Not show pieces by any means but both VERY solid with no rust and no expensive issues. Both fully rebuilt but with classic land rover "patina"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1173.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	26223   Click image for larger version

Name:	greenhellsofttopfront copy.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	26224  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, series iii