32/34 dmtl install questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Rabid Squirrel
Craig Thran
1979 Lightweight Series iii

32/34 dmtl install questions

Installing to my 2.25. Need some guidance from those who know. Exhaust linkage and throttle? These are going on my 1979 Lwht.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Rabid Squirrel
Craig Thran

I have the intake, exhaust manifold&carb from 83' 2.25L 110.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Rabid Squirrel
Craig Thran

The downpipes are different. Could use a part # to link manifold to series exhaust. Also the 32/34dmtl is cable driven. Do I need a later defender throttle assembly or just modify a cable in place of rod linkage?
Thank you
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2012, 08:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
There's no exhaust pipe other than the regular old petrol (NTC1794K) downpipe with the three bolt flange. Maybe you can make that work, or have a downpipe made at a muffler shop.

As to the throttle linkage, you could do what I'm doing on the 200 tdi. I'm using the rod linkage. The transition to cable is at the passenger side where one of the rod linkage bell crank arms has the cable connected to it. There are oodles of trick little 1/16th cable swage fittings which will let you get as tech and fancy as you want. You need a cable housing stop somewhere on the engine, more or less in line with the cable. Bicycle cable works just fine. These come with a wide variety of ends, doubtless one of which will fit the Weber. A Honda mc throttle cable will probably work as well.

Defender throttle pedal does not fit footwell without bending it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Am I correct that the intake does not cover the hole on the top of the series (early 110???) exhaust? If so, just bolt down a steel plate on top of the hole.
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I believe the exhaust manifold for the 90/110 2.25 petrol puts the downpipe a bit further forward. Plus the downpipe studs are bigger. The 90/110 exhaust is a little larger diameter (I think) which would help with breathing. I think the 32/34 in the 90 has more top end than a Series truck. My 90 didn't run out of steam on hills the way the Series trucks do. I think the best option for the exhaust is to get the 90/110 downpipe and then take the truck to a shop with the old series exhaust still installed so they can see how it is supposed to run, then let them build you a 2 inch or 1 3/4 system.

As for the linkage, some folks have made the throttle pedal and cable work on a LHD series truck by drilling the center of the 3 bolts that hold the tab off the steering box bracket on top of the footwell and routing the cable through that. Didn't look appealing to me so I am doing something more like what o2batsea is doing.

basically you can use bike cable just make sure the cuts in the housing are clean and that it doesn't chafe or make any crazy angles. you will need to fab some type of bracket to hold the cable housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Squirrel View Post
The downpipes are different. Could use a part # to link manifold to series exhaust. Also the 32/34dmtl is cable driven. Do I need a later defender throttle assembly or just modify a cable in place of rod linkage?
Thank you
Craig
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Rabid Squirrel
Craig Thran

Thanks Ren. This is what I have read on the various Google searches. Is there a part number for the proper downpipe? 90/110. You are correct. The exhaust manifold is different and a larger diameter is in store. This should liven up the old lump a bit along with a 2.5 cam.

The Lwht I just imported from Liverpool. Its rhd, so I will need to look further into the cable ideas a bit more.

------ Follow up post added October 25th, 2012 06:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Squirrel
Thanks Ren. This is what I have read on the various Google searches. Is there a part number for the proper downpipe? 90/110. You are correct. The exhaust manifold is different and a larger diameter is in store. This should liven up the old lump a bit along with a 2.5 cam.

The Lwht I just imported from Liverpool. Its rhd, so I will need to look further into the cable ideas a bit more.
Looks like the part number above must be the right one you speak of Ren?

------ Follow up post added October 25th, 2012 06:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Am I correct that the intake does not cover the hole on the top of the series (early 110???) exhaust? If so, just bolt down a steel plate on top of the hole.
I have the complete assembly (32/34 carb, intake, and exhaust manifold) from 83' 110 2.25l.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions