2.6L, 6 pot rebuild - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:53 AM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
2.6L, 6 pot rebuild

Any ideas how to remove this tube? Is it press fit or threaded? Getting the block machined and would like it removed for ease of transport.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424587966.403783.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	114330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:40 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
It's the dip stick tube ,
Light twisting and maybe a plastic dead blow hammer very gentle to drive it out .

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2015 11:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
It's the dip stick tube , Light twisting and maybe a plastic dead blow hammer very gentle to drive it out .
It's a press fit as I recall
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:37 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
It's the dip stick tube ,
Light twisting and maybe a plastic dead blow hammer very gentle to drive it out .

------ Follow up post added February 21st, 2015 11:41 PM ------

It's a press fit as I recall
Nope not the dipstick tube, that is on the other side. This is the drain tube from the crank case vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:51 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I loved the 2.6 in my 109, kept up with it and it was fine. Having to pull the wing and down pipe was a pain to do the exhaust valves, but never had any valve problems. Keep the oil up and things in tolerance and it was a fun drive. Good luck and I'll watch your progress. My engine didn't have those shims as far as I recall.
Huh? Guess I should keep my head up my arse because I've never pulled anything other than the valve cover to adjust exhaust valves.

I will say the only tough thing I have encountered with these is finding undersize crankshaft bearings.

Great motor if you've a good one and take care of it.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:02 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I coincidentally got a call today from a shop with a 67 NADA 2.6 109 customer today.

Customer- "water pump, thermostat, water pump gasket, thermo gasket, radiator upper hose, lower hose, brake drums"

Me-

NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA

literally everything was NLA, even the brake drums...
Zach, buddy, hate to break it to you but just because RN can't get it doesn't mean it is NLA. If that were the case Id have been gone long ago lol.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM
toad
Cutter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Huh? Guess I should keep my head up my arse because I've never pulled anything other than the valve cover to adjust exhaust valves.

I will say the only tough thing I have encountered with these is finding undersize crankshaft bearings.

Great motor if you've a good one and take care of it.
I should have gotten a lesson from you Matt, I could never do it without dropping the down pipe, which I had a difficult time doing without dropping the wing. I think I tried to do it a few times but the cursing eventually led to pulling the wing.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Zach, buddy, hate to break it to you but just because RN can't get it doesn't mean it is NLA. If that were the case Id have been gone long ago lol.
NLA just means NLA from Land Rover directly, there are always other sources for parts
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:10 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
NLA just means NLA from Land Rover directly, there are always other sources for parts
just bustin yer balls mate!

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2015 05:14 AM ------

..RN is definitely more convenient than tracking down some twat in a shed "down by the river" somewhere in Yorkshire.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:37 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Rebuild is complete and engine installed and running great. More details on the G&R forum. Will try and get some pics up here as well.

Wondering if anyone has any good gouge on dynamic timing for a 2.6L. I know what the static timing should be and I am sure that LR never published anything like dynamic timing data for a Series 2.6L. Just curious if there is some corporate knowledge on the subject out there.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Final product

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	136249

First start...fired right up
trim.DE111C23-0599-4A90-B423-33233682B011.MOV
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landerley View Post
Wondering if anyone has any good gouge on dynamic timing for a 2.6L. I know what the static timing should be and I am sure that LR never published anything like dynamic timing data for a Series 2.6L. Just curious if there is some corporate knowledge on the subject out there.
Looks to be there, in the workshop manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	136250  

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Looks to be there, in the workshop manual.
Wow, thanks Red90 that is exactly what I needed. What workshop manual do you have? That looks significantly more detailed than my copy of the "Green Bible".

Larry
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Wow, thanks Red90 that is exactly what I needed. What workshop manual do you have? That looks significantly more detailed than my copy of the "Green Bible".

Larry
That is from the Series 3 Workshop Manual.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Larry:
I have both the 2.6 Series IIA workshop and parts manual supplements for the I-O-E 2.6 with the NADA engine.
Since you have the euro 6, thought you might like to have the NADA 6 for reference.

Also will get pictures of the box(s) of rover 6 cylinder parts I have in the attic.
I do have a NOS crankshaft for your euro 6 engine.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Strange head bolts

Name:	Head Bolt.gif
Views:	107
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	136373

Another question: Why do they have this groove on the small headbolts just above the exhaust manifold? The bolt extends through the head into the exhaust ports. It appears they are designed to let exhaust gas travel up the bolt and into the head. Except there is no where for the exhaust to go. The metal head gasket doesn't have a raised area around the bolt hole, so the bolt doesn't even seal and results in a small exhaust leak between the cylinder head and block just above the exhaust manifold.

I think I can fix the exhaust leak by putting some sealer in the grove. But I assume that groove is there for a purpose so I am leery about doing it until I understand what is supposed to be going on there.
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:48 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Larry:
I have both the 2.6 Series IIA workshop and parts manual supplements for the I-O-E 2.6 with the NADA engine.
Since you have the euro 6, thought you might like to have the NADA 6 for reference.

Also will get pictures of the box(s) of rover 6 cylinder parts I have in the attic.
I do have a NOS crankshaft for your euro 6 engine.
Very interested Robert. Let me know what you have.

Larry
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:09 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I know you cut grooves in the threads of an old bolt if you are using it to clean out the threads in the hole that it goes in. But you are suppose to use proper bolts after you are done cleaning the threads out.

Quote:
Attachment 136373

Another question: Why do they have this groove on the small headbolts just above the exhaust manifold? The bolt extends through the head into the exhaust ports. It appears they are designed to let exhaust gas travel up the bolt and into the head. Except there is no where for the exhaust to go. The metal head gasket doesn't have a raised area around the bolt hole, so the bolt doesn't even seal and results in a small exhaust leak between the cylinder head and block just above the exhaust manifold.

I think I can fix the exhaust leak by putting some sealer in the grove. But I assume that groove is there for a purpose so I am leery about doing it until I understand what is supposed to be going on there.
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
I know you cut grooves in the threads of an old bolt if you are using it to clean out the threads in the hole that it goes in. But you are suppose to use proper bolts after you are done cleaning the threads out.
These are the correct head bolts. All three of my engines have them and all of the small bolts have this groove.
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Attachment 136373

The groove is to cut through any exhaust residue and carbon so the head bolts won't seize in the block and break off. They won't let gas escape.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Explorer0863
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8

Registry
What a great project. I love those engines and admire you for keeping it original.

Found tis thread "by accident" while looking for stuff to read while taking care of my sick mother. It brings memories, (LOTS of memories) of my first LR: a 69 Sta Wgn with the NADA 2.6. This was back between 99-01. No longer remember. My engine, while running, had many problems due to lack of proper maintenance. I debated for many months replacing it vs. rebuilding it. Almost bought one of Robert Davis' engines back then, but at the end I decided to keep it original and rebuild it. It took close to a year but the end result was fantastic.

A few years later I decided to move on to new/different projects and sold it to a guy in Philly. He flew one-way to Orlando, completed the transaction and drove it back home. He didn't have a single problem on that long drive.

I won't hesitate to buy another NADA 6 cyl for the right price. They only built 811 on that production from 67 to 69 and I don't know how many are still alive with the original engine. Mine was #798.

Thank you for sharing and documenting this engine project. A lot of good info and a great future reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-971278700.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	142579   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1874279757.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	609.9 KB
ID:	142580  

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild