2.6L, 6 pot rebuild - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2014, 02:46 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Yes I do know. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
Stuck waiting for a valve spring compressor and socket big enough for the front starter dog, so decided to peek inside the second motor. Not as good as the first.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418769728.533634.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	108790Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418769748.487044.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	108791

Cylinder stamped A which is smallest size and most likely original. Judging by the scale buildup and fluorescent green sludge I don't think this PO ever heard of a cooling system flush.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418769915.419974.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	108792

Interesting water pump. The one on the left is from this motor.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418770171.602493.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	108793

Definitely aftermarket and looks newer. I am guessing the PO couldn't figure out why the motor was getting hot and thought new water would help. But I don't think a new water pump is going to push through that blockage.
Old January 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Tear down complete. Everything in the block looks good. It was rebuilt recently (before it sat for a decade) you can still see cross hatching. There is some corrosion in the cylinders but it is all below where the rings hit. Does anyone think that will be an issue?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421272001.670346.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	111067Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421272137.408750.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	111068Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421272174.502336.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	111069Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421272377.232786.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	111070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2015, 11:36 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landerley View Post
Everything in the block looks good. It was rebuilt recently (before it sat for a decade) you can still see cross hatching. There is some corrosion in the cylinders but it is all below where the rings hit. Does anyone think that will be an issue?
Mild rust corrosion will be cut out by the rings as long as there isn't any severe pitting and the rings haven't corroded to the piston and stuck in place.
Obviously the rings need to float free to be able to function as designed.
Spraying the cylinders with PB Penetrating Catalyst (Blaster) works extremely well to loosen and disperse rust.

Since the 2.6 is nothing more than a series I engine with 2 more cylinders, it has 4 rocker shafts.
Two in the head and two in the block.
It is paramount to make sure these are in good serviceable condition.
If not new or good used serviceable rocker shafts must be used.
Then you can pick the best of the rockers to install.
Stay away from ones that have a thick coating or white metal to make up for excessive wear.
Make sure the rocker shaft bearings are tight or replace them as well.

After you reassembly,verify you have proper oil flow over the rockers when you run the engine.

Good Luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can also home the bore.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Robert, thanks for all the pointers. I removed all of the pistons and the top rings in two of the Pistons are stuck. I don't see a lot of corrosion, but they are stuck pretty good. My plan is to soak them in diesel and try to get them out. Any other suggestions on how to get these unstuck?

I am waiting on a new bore gage to get here. If the cylinders and pistons are all in spec I think that I am going to get it honed and put in new rings.

I have new lower rocker shafts and a good set of head rocker shafts. John Wearing is sending me a new cam and set of followers/rockers. The cam bearings all looked pretty good.

I have the crank shaft removed and it has .01 oversized main bearings so it must have been ground and I can also see the fresh marks where it was balanced. I happen to aleady have a set of NOS main bearings that are .01 over so I will most likely just replace those while I am at it. What is the best way to remove all the grease that they pack these parts in?

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the exhaust valve seats that are in the block. I have replacements but they look like they could be a real pain to get out and the manual ( which usually makes everything sound easy) makes this sound pretty tricky to do without damaging the block.
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:07 PM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
Six of one ...

Yes, they sound cool but they do leak and produce only marginally more power than the 2.25. Parts for the Weslake head may cause you problems. Unleaded fuel is also an issue. However, the ancient IOE engines do not seem to suffer valve recession as badly as the OHV engines. You may have headaches tracking down replacement parts for the Clayton Dewandre remote brake servo. When all is said and done, they are cool vehicles which should be preserved. I passed on one in December for the reasons above. But I tip my hat to your perseverance!
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBullsBollocks View Post
Yes, they sound cool but they do leak and produce only marginally more power than the 2.25. Parts for the Weslake head may cause you problems. Unleaded fuel is also an issue. However, the ancient IOE engines do not seem to suffer valve recession as badly as the OHV engines. You may have headaches tracking down replacement parts for the Clayton Dewandre remote brake servo. When all is said and done, they are cool vehicles which should be preserved. I passed on one in December for the reasons above. But I tip my hat to your perseverance!
Think Larry has the Euro-Six which does not have the Weslake head.
I have a NOS rebuild kit for the Clayton Dewandre remote brake servo and a box of parts filled to the brim with new pistons, bearings, and various other parts.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old February 12th, 2015, 08:47 PM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
You da man!

Dr. Davis, you're right! I looked at the pix and the one pictured is the standard head. Same rules apply for valve recession on that flat head engine. That may have been the last IOE engine in world wide production. I remember Rambler had a flat six until the mid-60's. MG, Triumph, etc., all had OHV or OHC engines by that time. I considered purchasing a NADA 109 out here in December. It needed a good bit of work, (paint, upholstery, the usual bits) but it was complete and relatively rust free. Brakes did not work and my UK parts guys said it would be tough to get those servo parts. I pitched what I thought was a fair offer and he declined. Someone gave him stupid money on a "buy it now" deal. I didn't shed any tears, as I had also turned down a triple header in October. A guy had two 88's (running) and a 109 SW for sale. We danced around a very sweet price for the lot. I could have made some money on that deal, but I didn't have storage space for three more Rovers! I can stop whenever I want ... really ... I know I can ... see ... I just did it twice ... I'm cured!
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have a 109 that came from Austria with a IOE-6 and just happen to have a kit to drop the Mercedes OM617 3.0 Liter 5 cyl Turbo Diesel in place.

Turned out really nice.

Well, Don, if you find another... there are engine alternatives.

Larry, am here if you want to PM more questions and good luck with the rebuild.

Old February 12th, 2015, 10:31 PM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
MB diesels.

From what I hear, you have perfected that conversion! Those are great engines and I will consider one for my next project. Like you, I come across Rovers without engines all the time! Are you in Richmond or VA Beach?
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I coincidentally got a call today from a shop with a 67 NADA 2.6 109 customer today.

Customer- "water pump, thermostat, water pump gasket, thermo gasket, radiator upper hose, lower hose, brake drums"

Me-

NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA NLA

literally everything was NLA, even the brake drums...
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I coincidentally got a call today from a shop with a 67 NADA 2.6 109 customer today.

Customer- "water pump, thermostat, water pump gasket, thermo gasket, radiator upper hose, lower hose, brake drums"

Me-

All of those parts are available on John Craddock's website. When I stopped in last fall they said they now had a source rebuilding 2.6 water pumps so they have come down drastically in price, as long as you have a core. His is like mine and has the smaller wheel studs. Those drums are crazy expensive (103!). You can get by with the much cheaper late model 3 inch drums if you work out a spacer for the studs (some Brits will tell you you don't even need the spacers). I am pretty sure that the brake servo on the 2A 2.6 is the same as what came on the later series 3. That is what my parts book and Craddock's website says, 37.10 which is pretty reasonable.

Maybe the NADA 2.6 have some more unique parts that are harder to find than my EURO 2.6. But I think that that there is a lot of fear-mongering when it comes to how hard it is to get parts for a 2.6. Granted not as easy or cheap as a 2.25, but with the power of the internet and reasonable international shipping rates (especially when you consider we don't pay VAT) I don't think it should be the deal breaker on a good vehicle that many people make it out to be. And as the good Mr. Davis points out there are always conversion options!

Update: OK after a little more research I see what you are talking about with the brake booster. Up to suffix F they used an inline remote servo (very hard to find), mine is a suffix G which is when they switched to the standard servo arrangement that was carried into the series 3.
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:58 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
All of those parts are available on John Craddock's website...
Maybe the NADA 2.6 have some more unique parts that are harder to find than my EURO 2.6.
You're correct...
The NADA 6 is very different from the EURO 6.
It is a short stroke version of the P3 3.0 Liter car engine.
Different head, water pump, and so on.
Even the block machining and the oil pan differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I coincidentally got a call today from a shop with a 67 NADA 2.6 109 customer today. Customer- "water pump, thermostat, water pump gasket, thermo gasket, radiator upper hose, lower hose, brake drums"
Me-
Back when I worked on lots of NADA 6 cylinder engines, Lanny (@ RN) and I went through parts lists and found items still available from Rover for the P3 3.0 engine, that would fit the NADA 109 2.6 engine, but were not available from Land Rover.
I even put several of the P3 3.0 liter car engines into NADA 109s to get much better performance.
That was about 20 yrs ago and NADA 2.6 parts were NLS back then from Land Rover.

The original prototype for the Range Rover had the 3.0 liter car engine under the hood.
This was before Rover bought the Buick V8 thinking they had something much better.
In reality both are crummy engines.

Old February 13th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Yes! Nada and euro are very different!
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
That's good stuff, thanks for the background and history. I knew the Weslake head and water pump were different but didn't realize the block was also different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Lanny (@ RN) and I went through parts lists and found items still available from Rover for the P3 3.0 engine, that would fit the NADA 109 2.6 engine, but were not available from Land Rover.
I have noticed the same thing with the Rover P4 engine and Euro 2.6. The part numbers are the same and it seems I can get better deals and availability going through some of the classic Rover parts dealers rather than the classic Land Rover parts suppliers.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:28 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I have noticed the same thing with the Rover P4 engine and Euro 2.6. The part numbers are the same and it seems I can get better deals and availability going through some of the classic Rover parts dealers rather than the classic Land Rover parts suppliers.
Your post was a good reminder that I have a stack of NOS P4 Euro head sets that I think fit the 2.6 Euro as well.
There is also a new 2.6 Euro crankshaft up in my parts loft.

Old February 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Robert,

What is the part number on the head sets? Any chance you have a carburetor kit, part number 606098?
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert,

What is the part number on the head sets? Any chance you have a carburetor kit, part number 606098?
I'll get the part number for you.
Carb kit for an SU or Stromberg?

Old February 13th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Landerley
Larry

Registry
Stromberg

Would also be interested in any distributors or distributor bits you may have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild