2.25 vs 2.5 camshafts ?? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice post TeriAnn, am glad there was no drainage ditch on that stretch of road in Eastern Montana where you took the required off road venture !!!

You were a trooper to drive that Green Dormobile all the way to NY and back for the Greek Peak Anniversary Rally in 1999. Hard to believe that was about 14 years ago and we were both driving 2.25 powered campers back then...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2013, 08:27 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I echo what has been said, upgrade the engine. Stick something in there that makes the truck come to life. Also that'll be great for you because now you will enjoy the truck more.

My 2.25 is in great shape and here on the east coast, I can cruise at highway speeds no problem. That said, I have no idea how much it'll suck in the Rockies. Next time that engine takes a crap, its getting yanked for something else (no clue what that something else will be, but I will figure it out!).
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Rover 3.5 V8 (cough)

I have one under the work bench....

(I know. I got my flame proof coat on and hiding under the table)

Hmmm, If I was going with the buick motor I'd at probably go for a little more displacement although if it's for free, that's hard to argue against.

In any case it's going to be a while before I'm willing and able to do anything more than keep the stock 2.25 alive for local trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You were a trooper to drive that Green Dormobile all the way to NY and back for the Greek Peak Anniversary Rally in 1999. Hard to believe that was about 14 years ago and we were both driving 2.25 powered campers back then...
The Virginia Land Rover club guys were a great social group and introduced me to the joys of Mississippi Mud.

On the coast to coast drive I was really happy to have a hand throttle. Most of the trip out was made with the hand throttle set to carb wide open and my foot off the accelerator pedal. In the interstate slow lane of course. On the way back I spent a lot of time in Canada then decided to drive a loop around the great lakes just because I could. When I hit the Rockys I did a pin ball imitation hitting all the national parks from Glacier on South. It was a slow but fun trip. Took me a good month to drive home from NY.

What's hard to believe is that I have been driving the same Land Rover for 35 years now and the 302 has been powering my truck for 14 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 26th, 2013, 05:55 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Talked to a guy from Thailand this week who lives in USA and has a Defender.
He drove a 2.25 diesel powered 109 back home and said he was regularly passed by rickshaws on upgrades in the city.
Doesn't something seem wrong with the power output of the 2.25 in that picture?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yes it was good visiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
The Virginia Land Rover club guys were a great social group and introduced me to the joys of Mississippi Mud.
Loftus Hitchens brought a whole case of that Mississippi Mud to the 50th @ Greek Peak.
It was good at the time.
Fortunately most of us have graduated to the farmhouse saisons and belgian tripels.
When we want a kick, it's Samichlaus Helles, World Wide Stout, or Midas Touch to name a few.

Glad the 302 has been good for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions