1988 Land Rover Santana 2500 (Series 3?) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 7th, 2016, 11:49 PM
terryjm1
Terry
1988 Land Rover Santana & 98 D1 TDI

1988 Land Rover Santana 2500 (Series 3?)

I own a 1988 Land Rover Santana 2500 (88" wheel base) and have determined over the past 16 months of ownership it is most closely related to the very late Series 3 model. It has the front end and interior look of the D90 but mechanically is very much mostly Series 3.

I have done quite a bit of parts sourcing to make it a very nice example (NTO Defender doors, new aftermarket rear door, new front wings, fiberglass PUMA bonnet, new fender/headlamp panels to give it the D90 look, steel instrument binnacle, and other stuff I can't remember at the moment). All kinds of other smaller bits have been sourced as well.

I am now considering some NTO Defender front seats. My current question relates to the runners. The set I am looking at picking up can be had with or without runners.

Do any of you know if the runners in a late Series 3 or possibly an early Defender are interchangeable with a much newer set of seats or should I buck up for the new runners? I think I know the answer but the runners currently installed work quite well. Actually, the upholstery isn't too bad either but the springs in the bases are broken.

I have attached some pictures for those of you like me that like to see photos of other Landys. Sorry, I don't have any photos of the front available at the moment but it looks like a D90 with funky headlight trim and different indicators, which I will be swapping out.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	159244

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	159245
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2016, 11:57 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Most here are not very Santana savvy other than his 70's and 80's music. How about some pictures of your current seat mounts.

Obligatory Santana running his frets photo:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2016, 12:07 AM
terryjm1
Terry

Seats

Can't get any pictures of the seat mounts at the moment. In reference to your photo, my wife calls the truck Carlos... Yep, she sure does.
Old October 8th, 2016, 03:08 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
not the first time I learn of a santana being named carlos...
the first and original is a offload college whom many of us met at old mar, his santana is the one at the beginning of the movie Black Hawk Down. it has a dent on the left vent below the windshield. a story write up was done about him and the truck on RN magazine and rover owners magazine.
I gave him the name tag off one of my uniform shirts and when he had the truck restored, the name tag was framed and placed on the dash... we called it the original santana....
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&d=1457668405

I believe the defender seats are a straight fit on these funky rovers...my current customer has a set of new puma buckets on his 110, Believe all 8 seats are new puma. 2 front 2 rears and 4 facing each other in the cargo area.
good luck on your parts search.
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:30 PM
terryjm1
Terry

Thanks for the information!

Great information that helps a lot!
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:17 PM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 Santana

Cool Santana. I'm in the process of importing a 1990 Santana 4-door myself and it looks like the interior is basically defender with LHD. The previous owner updated the front seats but I did buy a set of seat risers to be installed before it is shipped to the states and my contact said the defender risers should work. My issue is finding a set of 2nd row seats as the owner mysteriously had them removed.
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:11 PM
terryjm1
Terry

Thanks for the reply! Does your 4 door have the 6 cylinder diesel? I did buy the seats and will update the post when I install them.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
terryjm1
Terry

Santana seat runner question answered

I finally got a chance to see if the NTO seats will fit the runners in my Santana. They do not. The Santana seats are wider. I could probably make them work but one of them is broken so I am going to just source some new or good used Defender runners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
land rover, series