1967 nada 109 help! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Eric Siepmann
1966 Land Rover Series 2a SWB
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
The NADA 6 cylinder 109 had the largest drum brakes. Way bigger than a 4 cylinder 109. Both 11" diameter but I believe the 4 cyl was 2 1/4" wide and the NADA 6 was 3". Substantial difference and worked well, also more difficult and more expensive to get parts for but work well.

If you are interested in a disk conversion for safety purposes and the many thousands of dollars being quoted are scaring you away, I'd suggest you look at the disk brake package from Rocky Mountain Products. It is the Torrel Industries conversion, was incredibly easy to install myself and if I recall correctly, only cost about $1400. It is for the front axle only and the rear drum brakes compliment it nicely. The replacement parts are AC Delco (GM North American) as used on the Pontiac Grand Am.

To read the very thorough installation manual http://parabolicsprings.com/index.html

So easy to install if you have basic mechanical skills, can follow written instruction and can read English. The kit even includes obscure tools you might not already have in your tool box. Packaged in two compact wooden crates that will nicely hold your old drum sets in case you want to swap back when you sell. LOL

Old school technology given ROAM and a european company re-cast the swivel housing to get a much better disc brake kit. All thanks to Timm Cooper!

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The wider brakes were not unique to the 1967 NADA 6 cyl....
Yes, All 6 cylinders and the later Stage One V8. Seems to me at the end of production all had the 3" x 11" brakes, but that simply wasn't the case in Land Rovers available on this side of the pond as they stopped importing them in 1974. In the US of A they stopped importing the 109 after 1967 but they were still available in Canada up 'till early '70's but as far as I know, only with the 4 cylinder.

It wasn't uncommon over the years for owners to upgrade to the big brakes. "Options" as we have known them on cars for the last few decades, simply weren't available like that when buying a new car. They came in standard factory specs and you got what you got. There were minor dealer added items that could be had, like a winch or a PTO.

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Tom Rowe
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
As Tom pointed out, he had experience with a 1967 diesel that had the wider brakes (or at least that's my interpretation).
That's correct.

I would think that the wider brakes became an option in 1967 or someone swapped the front brakes over to the wider ones because one thing is for sure, the wider brakes were not a requirement for the 2.25 diesel because of anything high performance!
Yeah, I was very surprised when I pulled the wheels and saw the wider drums. I asked the owner, who's bought it new, if he'd ever had the brakes upgraded and he said no. I suppose it may have been an option, but I just assumed they started fitting them for some weird reason.
Less likely, but still possible I guess, is someone previously had done a brake rebuild and used the 6cyl parts without telling him. But that would require replacing the backing plate also which, I'd think, would be red flag on the invoice.

Interestingly, he also had a really oddball, but factory, charging system that I've never seen reference to in any Land Rover manual. The only place I've seen it discussed was in the Haynes Automobile Electrical Manual which is now out of print.
Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
A few topics:

It is much cheaper to do the work yourself. If you are going to keep the LR long term you really should learn to do your own wrenching.

Your drum brakes: All 109s have 2 leading brake shoes which gives better stopping in the forward direction than the common one front shoe and one trailing shoe arrangement. The downside is that without the trailing shoe the 109 brakes poorly in the rearwards direction. If you stop a 109 in a steep nose up position you will have a hard time keeping it from rolling backwards. Front disc brakes can be justified as a safety upgrade in a 109.

I have a web page that can give you an idea of what is available in the way of disc brakes for Series trucks.

You will want to convert to the brake pedal mounted power brake system. The servo unit that came on the Santana has a lot more boost that the Series LR booster and is a direct bolt on to the Series brake tower.

I have a how-to page on converting to power brakes:
The page is a draft but is fairly good.

The LR 6 - You need to keep on top of the exhaust valve adjustment. They are notorious for burning exhaust valves because they take work to adjust them.

Scotty adapters - The LR four cylinder & six cylinder bell housings take a different bolt pattern. Yes Scotty some some drilled for the 6 cylinder pattern and some for the 4 cylinder pattern. However later ones were drilled for both the 4 and 6 patterns and could be used on either.

And yes I have a web page covering these adapters too:

When you LR six becomes in need of a rebuild or replacement I strongly suggest you go with the Mercedes OM617 conversion. Robert has done a very good job designing his conversion.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada

My Land Rover web site

My Triumph TR3 web site

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions