1964 Series II what should I do???? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:03 PM
Nathan Garnand
67 series
When I got my first series 11a 88 last year I couldn't wait to swap everything. But I soon realized it was to nice to break up. And it was nice just the way it was. So I just cruise it around town.

So I picked up a beat up rolled over 74 series 3 88 that hasn't ran in over 10 years. I thought for sure this was the one I was going to swap everything out of and build. But I got it running and it now runs a drives better than I could imagine.

So for me I decided build my 74 and keep as much land rover I could. So I am staying stock motor and trans. I am going with Alcan springs with new shock locations and lengths. I will be running 33 inch tire. Rear axle has 24 spline upgrade and front and rear lockers from past owner. I am planning on running a fuel cell and get rid of the factory tank location. I had a GenRight TJ bumper modified for 8274. I will add some sliders and hit the trails. Make more dents and enjoy it. Fix things as I go. Yeah I will have no power and will have to tow it any real distance. But I have a truck for that.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:40 PM
1960 109, w/200TDI

Nobody has ask so I will; what is the intended use for the 88 in the future?

If you are just going to drive it occasionally(likely) I would just leave it stock.

If you are going to hit the local trails, stock drivetrain but upgrade the springs to parabolics and brakes to disc ( Forbyn Bros. | Quality parts for your classic Land Rover not affiliated)

Taking long hiway trips? can't beat the diesel option for mileage or the V8 for speed lots of build threads on the web. I put Defender seats in mine for comfort, a friend has seats from a dodge neon in his, another Corbeau....

Mostly though it sounds to me that you just want to put the 88 body on a D90.

my .02

1960 109
1960 88 Ignotus
Blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:40 PM
95 D90
A friend of mine transplanted a long weelbase series III on a classic galvanised frame. Had the bulkhead also galvanised. Had to fabricate a new trans tunnel and front floor boards. The mechanicals are classic v8, auto trans , coil springs etc... all classic parts. From the outside its a series III, from the inside its a series exept wigh disco 1 front and rear seats, all new carpets, leather, headliner, hidden gun case, and room for 7 foot driver and front lassanger!! And 8 foot passangers in the back seats!!

This was a nut and bolt show quality restoration and numerous mexhanical upgrades such as a eeeasy access spin on remote fuel filter, disco gas tank, carbs I stead of fI etc...

He removed the paint so tye body has a brushed aluminum finish. It looks nasty!!! all the nostalgia of a series with tye power / comfort od a classic.

Good luck with your project.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
1993/Defender Tdi200
I would say if you want a powerful, comfortable 4x4 then there are many options out there, such as defenders and American 4x4. If I had a near original Series II like this one appears to be I would just focus on making a few true to its original concept improvements. For me that would first of mean all restoring whatever needs restoration to its original state and then perhaps swapping its engine with a Land Rover 17H engine and a late Series II all synchromesh gearbox while retaining the original gear lever, instead of the straighter round knob one that came with this box. I would also change to a alternator based charging system, simply because it’s more reliable and practical if you want to install a radio or other such “modern amenities”.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
64 series IIa x3
v8 swap or leave it stock. find a donor truck - steal drive train. you wont regret it.
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:22 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
My vote would be to leave it stock and if you need a faster more comfortable ride on occasion pick up a disco for a couple thou. Craigslist is flush with good options if you consistently watch and have a little time to pounce when they pop up.
Old August 11th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Derek Borror
1969 109 gone - Rockin a 97' D1 now
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Remove the paint from the galvanized bits. They like that and will respond by running better.

Or if you don't care for double clutching, you can "upgrade" to a fully synchronized Series III gearbox without changing its basic character. A good running 2.25 with an OD isn't going to be fast, but should be fast enough.
Completely agree. I swapped in a Series III gearbox/transfer case and have a fairly OD. Not sure I want to go much faster in a Series than what that can provide. You get get up to speed...not fast...not on an incline...not with a headwind. But I am still going to test my speed/fear theory out with a 3.9l/r380/lt230 swap myself.

"I think we are good...its still dripping"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions