Turner Burner Size Large - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old December 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Turner Burner Size Large

Trying to fund a new mountain bike so I am selling my turner.
Size Large
Full XT components with XTR calipers
Rock Shox Reba Uturn fork
Fox Float R Rear Shock
Easton EC90 Carbon Post
Easton Carbon Monkey Lite bars
Oury lock on grips
Chris King Headset
Mavic 717 rims
Salsa skewers
New SRAM chain

No pedals

Figure $1100 or best offer for the bike.

I will box it but you pay for shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4128063475.png
Views:	224
Size:	980.6 KB
ID:	45200   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4194404911.png
Views:	216
Size:	1,010.2 KB
ID:	45201  

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Which saddle is that? Looks sort of like a Fizik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

wtb. I now ride a specialized. If someone wants the bike I will throw in a second wtb. Slightly lighter version.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The timing sucks, but what do you think it would cost to ship it to GA?

Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will pay shipping
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Barry $1100 doesn't include pedals ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Pedals are a personal preference.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I can only imagine you would be considering a Turner 5.5 Spot as an upgrade?

I have a Burner and it rides amazingly ... softening up the rear shock to a little softer than you think it should be and it rides like a dream!!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yes it is great. Next bike is going to be a 29er
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Yes it is great. Next bike is going to be a 29er
Nooooo! A 29'er??? Don't give in. Is it at least going to be a SS HT? That's the only setup I would ride with 29" wheels.

Good deal on a very nice bike. Those frames new were close to $2k right?

If anyone is looking to get into mtn biking, this is a great deal on a US Made frame with a great ride and solid parts.

Barry - any idea what Turner is going to do with Sapa closing their frame production? http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraig...ng-operations/

I'm sure you know but when I sold my Turner RFX years ago I advertised it on the mtbr Turner forum. Had a guy drive like 2 hours to get it.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Interesting article.

29 doesn't appeal to you? I would think it would be perfect in nj. I have friends who will now only ride it. I figured it was where everyone was going with this. I have an opportunity to get a sick deal on a rocky mountain and I was debating between a full suspension bike or a hardtail, both 29.

It looks fun.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Interesting article.

29 doesn't appeal to you? I would think it would be perfect in nj. I have friends who will now only ride it. I figured it was where everyone was going with this. I have an opportunity to get a sick deal on a rocky mountain and I was debating between a full suspension bike or a hardtail, both 29.

It looks fun.
Its more of a joke on the nj mtb site. Lots of the hammer heads on there have 29ers and are always trying to get others to drink the kool-aid. I can see for taller guys that want to ride fast how a 29er would be good but there would be 5' 2" girls asking and they'd say go bigger wheels. I would be thinking - could she even pull the front wheel over a curb? But looking at how your Turner is setup and riding a large I can see you enjoying one.

For me, I like to flick the bike around too much on jumps and log rides and stuff. And need as much clearance as possible. For me a good 26" full sussy bike with big knobbies works best. I'd be afraid of folding a 29er wheel. But, I might build a bigger wheel rig at some point and ride for speed and miles vs fun.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I'm not fast or anything. I have a friend in new Hampshire who is my go to guy on what to get. He isn't pushing anything on me but his primary bike is a 29 singlespeed. He is the type of guy who breaks frames. He loves the big wheels in new England. My turner is fun but riding in la in general blows. We are lacking trees. I have a singlespeed 26 with a carbon fork now and love it but I am far from fast at least going up. Figure with my height an going down the 29 will be great and easy to whip around.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Throw this on the classifieds section of Expedition Portal- there's a good following of "expedition bikers" there that might snatch this up. I'm very happy with my Spot Brand single speed 29er- the geometry is perfect. I'll throw a picture up here if you want to see it.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Please do
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Yeah I'm not fast or anything. I have a friend in new Hampshire who is my go to guy on what to get. He isn't pushing anything on me but his primary bike is a 29 singlespeed. He is the type of guy who breaks frames. He loves the big wheels in new England. My turner is fun but riding in la in general blows. We are lacking trees. I have a singlespeed 26 with a carbon fork now and love it but I am far from fast at least going up. Figure with my height an going down the 29 will be great and easy to whip around.
I would think in the New England that they would ride 26" bikes with more travel, tighter geometry and wider knobs but like off road trucks a bigger tire will roll over rocks much better. My buddies in Vermont ride the 26ers but there is a contigent up there that ride the bigger wheels - mostly like your buddy SS Hardtails.

I think the 29'ers are good for people that are taller and aren't riding stunts or jumps. I just shake my head when I see someone small riding one and the headtube is about 3" tall and the bike is all wheels. Definitely try it out - I think that is one of the best things about riding bikes - pretty easy and cheap to change things up and try different things. Who know I might even build a big wheel bike next year to see what all the hype is. You can't really talk shit if you haven't taken a dump before.

------ Follow up post added December 24th, 2011 08:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Throw this on the classifieds section of Expedition Portal- there's a good following of "expedition bikers" there that might snatch this up. I'm very happy with my Spot Brand single speed 29er- the geometry is perfect. I'll throw a picture up here if you want to see it.
I've always liked Spot stuff - throw up a pic when you have a chance - would love to see it. Actually seems like some of us on here have some good bikes - should start a OT thread on it unless there is already one.
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
iamgoode
SEAN GOODE
1984 DEFENDER 90

I have a custom 29r single speed/belt drive.. It feels like my cross bike. THe nice thing is you can run a lower BB compared to axle position so it feels very stable. I'm 5'11 and my bike has a 5 inch head tube.. It affects the stand over height quite a bit compared to my 26'rs. If I were to build another I would go with at least an inch shorter head tube and a much more sloping top tube.
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgoode View Post
I have a custom 29r single speed/belt drive.. It feels like my cross bike. THe nice thing is you can run a lower BB compared to axle position so it feels very stable. I'm 5'11 and my bike has a 5 inch head tube.. It affects the stand over height quite a bit compared to my 26'rs. If I were to build another I would go with at least an inch shorter head tube and a much more sloping top tube.

5" HT? That's a bit tall but not out of this world. Are you using an integrated headest or cups? I'm sure messing around with spacers, stems and bars your h-bar height can be dialed but depending on the fork you are running can have a pretty tall front end. And what is your ST height? On my full sussy bike it's a super low ass 16.5" and I am 6ft tall. But I have around 32" inseam and like to have the a ton of clearance, especially when I need to bail like I did on a log ride last week

Curious - who was the builder?
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

bump

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market