Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old August 19th, 2015, 06:29 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Thoughts on a 05 RR

I've been advised to steer away from the BMW engine RR's. But this one has caught my eye. Low miles, seems nice. Should I stay on my course of looking for a 06-09?

2005 Range Rover Westminster Edition 65K Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 06:40 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I've heard the same and would even go a year better with the '07 and the revised dash.
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I've heard that '08+ is the way to go.

I can vouch for that. Bought an '07 Certified preowned. One thing after another went wrong. Traded it on an '08 LR3, which was the most reliable LR I've owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Matt, RUN! Run like a scalded monkey

The BMW years are terrible. The ONLY way to own one of those is cheap, as in don't be into it for a nickel over $10,000 I don't care how many miles or how nice it looks.
I just ended a two year, 40,000 mile experiment with an L322 that only ended positively because my all-in costs were below $10,000.

At a minimum you should anticipate between $2,500-3,500 in unexpected repairs annually (in addition to the routine maintence) the 19" tires are a pain in the ass to find cheap.

You'll be looking at typical BMW crap to replace (PCV Breather kit, every gasket in the M62, several radiators and/or expansion tanks) combined with the usual Range Rover gremlins such as electronic mysteries and EAS (air suspension) issues. Even if they have been replaced in the past (mine was on its 3rd radiator).

With all of that said, I'd still own another. They are just that solid and comfortable. Even with 155,000 miles, mine still pulled strong and didn't use oil (it leaked oil, but was a tight running M62).
The lesson I learned is that if you want to own one, you absolutely have to have a cheap entry point and accept the high cost of repairs (even if you do most things yourself).
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Matt, RUN! Run like a scalded monkey.

Summed up perfectly....take the advice dude...
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The BMW years are the ones my Guy refuses to touch

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I bought an 05 a couple years ago and it took everything I had to get rid of it...
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Don't do it.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:02 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I know nothing about those trucks but thought the BMW engine were thought after. Is that an issue with their V8 model? (I think I heard someone complaining about the x5 engines).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
I know nothing about those trucks but thought the BMW engine were thought after. Is that an issue with their V8 model? (I think I heard someone complaining about the x5 engines).
The mechanicals are solid, but they run hot and the poor quality gaskets and less-than-tight mating surfaces hemorrhage oil eventually. Also, every BMW cooling system from say 2002 on is notorious. I know lots of mechanics who love the snap connectors, but the plastics bits couldn't suck more if they were engineered in a Play Doh lab. Then, the complex electronic systems engineered by Range Rover are asked to communicate with BMW sensors etc. it's just all bad. Another example is the budget front diff that was engineered for the truck. Early ones failed and were recalled and in my particular truck it appeared to be installed incorrectly and was pushing small amounts gear oil out the vent tube after long trips (the diff vent tube exits in the valley pan area) brilliant! The dealer replaced nearly every top end gasket and nobody could find the source of the oil in the valley pan. I (the furthest thing from a factory LR tech) found the vent tube problem within the first week of ownership. It was lucky I guess, but if I had TSBs and factory training, I'd have been looking at the timing covers as well.

The best part of any L322 is the interior and how comfortable it is to drive (especially with the Luxury package). Power is ample, but anemic by today's standards. Driver position and visibility are obviously great.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:49 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
GLAD I asked. 86'ed this one! Thanks for the feedback!
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
That Westminster in the original post looks really tidy though. I can see why it's tempting, but my guess is that it's a $10,000 car at the auction. Nobody (aftermarket) will ever warranty it so used car lots can't get more than mid-to high teens for these even when somebody who doesn't know any better ends up buying one.

As a point of reference, the Jeep dealer offered $2,500 as a trade in and Lexus offered $5,000 with 155k and mine was definitely no where near as nice as this Westminster.

If you could get that truck for $10,000 I'd take a stab at it. Escrow the extra $6-$7,000 for repairs and you're good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
ht