Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I heard that Herb Chambers bought it.
Haha!
That's about the only person that could pull this off. a dealer could use their "dealer" plates without getting wrapped around the axle at the DMV or state inspection.

for all we know, he could have been the original importer. Nobody ever told me how it ended up at one of his Mercedes dealerships when I called on in earlier this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
There are always loopholes.

Some of you guys here know Garret Porterfield.
He is a 4x4 instructor at http://www.overlandexperts.com/

I believe they just bought 4 or 5 brand new Toyota Hilux's of the diesel variety from the overseas market.
They get an EPA waiver or somesuch.
Customs isn't going to seize their trucks and crush them.

Some Toyota dudes will freak when they see a Hilux diesel cruising up I-95 between VA and CT...

Maybe this 110 snuck in on some kind of exemption...??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I don't know about NEVER....what about 2033 ?
only if it was shipped out and re imported then

------ Follow up post added September 18th, 2013 11:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
There are always loopholes.

Some of you guys here know Garret Porterfield.
He is a 4x4 instructor at http://www.overlandexperts.com/

I believe they just bought 4 or 5 brand new Toyota Hilux's of the diesel variety from the overseas market.
They get an EPA waiver or somesuch.
Customs isn't going to seize their trucks and crush them.

Some Toyota dudes will freak when they see a Hilux diesel cruising up I-95 between VA and CT...

Maybe this 110 snuck in on some kind of exemption...??

Not apples to oranges comparison. Totally different agencies @ work. The reason Defenders can't come in is more DOT issue with airbags and roll over protection than epa. The Toyota's on the other hand are an epa issue. Far easier issue to overcome. Then there is the fact that toyota has multiple US manufacturing facilities and Rover has none......
Home field advantage makes a difference.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

Not apples to oranges comparison. Totally different agencies @ work. The reason Defenders can't come in is more DOT issue with airbags and roll over protection than epa. The Toyota's on the other hand are an epa issue.
Yes, that's true.
But one reason that OEX imported the Hilux is that they do a lot of military training.
And our military uses the Hilux overseas.

Now, if OEX made the case that our military sometimes uses 110's in foreign theaters, I wonder if they could get an exemption to buy some new ones for training purposes?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Yes, that's true.
But one reason that OEX imported the Hilux is that they do a lot of military training.
And our military uses the Hilux overseas.

Now, if OEX made the case that our military sometimes uses 110's in foreign theaters, I wonder if they could get an exemption to buy some new ones for training purposes?
I had a lengthy conversation with a US Customs seizure officer who is charge of in excess of 30 seized land rovers this morning ( I am handling the export of many of the ones that have been granted permission to leave). He actually feels for the enthusiasts. He said some of the seized trucks were absolutely gorgeous so he likes defenders. Our conversation went on and he shared that JLRNA is totally behind the crack down on defender imports. He indicated that customs provides pictures and Land Rover NA comes back with "the seat belts were made on this date, the glass made on this date, the engine made on this date". JLRNA is the only manufacturer he is aware of that is so deeply invested is squashing the importation of their own product line. While I was discussing this with him, the image of the redneck sticker you see where the kid is pissing on another brand came to mind. Land Rover is pissing on Land Rover.

Jay should make up a decal we can send to all the execs in Montvale.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I had a lengthy conversation with a US Customs seizure officer who is charge of in excess of 30 seized land rovers this morning ( I am handling the export of many of the ones that have been granted permission to leave). He actually feels for the enthusiasts. He said some of the seized trucks were absolutely gorgeous so he likes defenders. Our conversation went on and he shared that JLRNA is totally behind the crack down on defender imports. He indicated that customs provides pictures and Land Rover NA comes back with "the seat belts were made on this date, the glass made on this date, the engine made on this date". JLRNA is the only manufacturer he is aware of that is so deeply invested is squashing the importation of their own product line. While I was discussing this with him, the image of the redneck sticker you see where the kid is pissing on another brand came to mind. Land Rover is pissing on Land Rover.

Jay should make up a decal we can send to all the execs in Montvale.
JLRNA probably look at the people paying a lot of money for defenders as a potential revenue stream .... if you can't have a $100K 110 then might as well go and buy a RRS or similar ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
JLRNA probably look at the people paying a lot of money for defenders as a potential revenue stream .... if you can't have a $100K 110 then might as well go and buy a RRS or similar ...
of course, that motivation is a given

doesn't mean that the enthusiasts out there shouldn't hold it against them

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
of course, that motivation is a given

doesn't mean that the enthusiasts out there shouldn't hold it against them
agreed
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

I am not sure that is all that great of a reason. A Defender and RRS are totally different vehicles. 2 things:
1 - someone in the market for a Defender will most likely look at a Jeep Wrangler if it is too hard for them to get the Defender they want
2 - most of the people that buy a Defender will have it as their 3rd vehicle. They might have a RRS or RR as their daily.

Thanks for that intel Doug. Is JLRNA brought in on every Defender imported? Or just the ones the custom agents have a question about? I would love to know the price tag that is associated with the research provided to customs by JLRNA. My quick guess would put it in the $100k a year range.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I am not sure that is all that great of a reason. A Defender and RRS are totally different vehicles. 2 things:
1 - someone in the market for a Defender will most likely look at a Jeep Wrangler if it is too hard for them to get the Defender they want
2 - most of the people that buy a Defender will have it as their 3rd vehicle. They might have a RRS or RR as their daily.

Thanks for that intel Doug. Is JLRNA brought in on every Defender imported? Or just the ones the custom agents have a question about? I would love to know the price tag that is associated with the research provided to customs by JLRNA. My quick guess would put it in the $100k a year range.
when and why we will have to guess @. That said even ex-mod trucks get the once over. Remember these aren't enthusiasts. These officers look @ everything from Rolex's to John Deere combines daily so if there is any question the directive is to take pictures and send them on. I think 100k would be a very low cost estimate as to what this is costing JLRNA in dedicated resources. Think about it, its not just looking @ pictures. Its far more involved, crawling through manufacturing records to find out when a batch of seat belts was made or when a delivery of Pilkington glass was delivered to Solihull. No this water runs deep, very deep.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 18th, 2013, 05:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:

when and why we will have to guess @. That said even ex-mod trucks get the once over. Remember these aren't enthusiasts. These officers look @ everything from Rolex's to John Deere combines daily so if there is any question the directive is to take pictures and send them on. I think 100k would be a very low cost estimate as to what this is costing JLRNA in dedicated resources. Think about it, its not just looking @ pictures. Its far more involved, crawling through manufacturing records to find out when a batch of seat belts was made or when a delivery of Pilkington glass was delivered to Solihull. No this water runs deep, very deep.
Yeah, $100k was 2 full time employees at $50k a year only working on imports. But it could be easily twice the man power and with higher level people earning much more. It truly is crazy - like you said pissing on one own's product.

And why not use the 25 year export ability to LRNA's own advantage? Sell refurb'd imported Defenders at say small sub-dealers and package it as being recycled and proof that Land Rovers are the longest lasting vehicles out there, etc, etc. And they could sell OEM parts to the people that have imported them.

I cant figure out the reasoning - it probably came from the same people that told LRNA to crack down on the use of the word "Rover" :shrug:
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Yeah, $100k was 2 full time employees at $50k a year only working on imports. But it could be easily twice the man power and with higher level people earning much more. It truly is crazy - like you said pissing on one own's product.

And why not use the 25 year export ability to LRNA's own advantage? Sell refurb'd imported Defenders at say small sub-dealers and package it as being recycled and proof that Land Rovers are the longest lasting vehicles out there, etc, etc. And they could sell OEM parts to the people that have imported them.

I cant figure out the reasoning - it probably came from the same people that told LRNA to crack down on the use of the word "Rover" :shrug:
Don that makes way too much sense. Imagine the price a truck restored to original by Special Vehicles could/would command @ a dealership with warranty and financing. I'd bet they couldn't keep them on hand long enough for a test drive to be possible.

That said manufacturers aren't permitted to import used vehicles for re-sale.

What JLRNA is forcing with their near sightedness is an entire new cottage industry on this side of the pond restoring and refurbishing Defenders. Exactly the opposite of what they had hoped for. This will allow would be buyers to view and test drive trucks before purchasing rather than taking a 3000 mile leap of faith and entrusting large sums to some no name shop in the UK. I don't see the tide of imported trucks slowing, and I think the stateside market for next couple of years for the iconic defender stateside, will burgeon.
There are few examples anywhere of vehicles that can be driven,beaten on, abused, put away wet for 25 years, then rebuilt on a galvanized chassis and re-powered and driven for several more decades, and still look incredible. These trucks stand the test of time like few others.

I think JLRNA has created their own Afghanistan per se. They have foolishly waged a war against their own parent companies product that they cannot win. They cannot change consumer demand for these trucks with these tactics.
"He who doesn't study history and learn from it is destined to repeat it"

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:19 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Don that makes way too much sense. Imagine the price a truck restored to original by Special Vehicles could/would command @ a dealership with warranty and financing. I'd bet they couldn't keep them on hand long enough for a test drive to be possible. That said manufacturers aren't permitted to import used vehicles for re-sale.
About 10 years ago I seem to remember rumors of Nissan planning to do exactly this with old Datsun Z cars. Maybe they got slapped down. Or maybe they were just rumors.

Actually it looks like it was 1997:

http://www.theautochannel.com/public...aywewere.frame
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:

Don that makes way too much sense. Imagine the price a truck restored to original by Special Vehicles could/would command @ a dealership with warranty and financing. I'd bet they couldn't keep them on hand long enough for a test drive to be possible.

That said manufacturers aren't permitted to import used vehicles for re-sale.

What JLRNA is forcing with their near sightedness is an entire new cottage industry on this side of the pond restoring and refurbishing Defenders. Exactly the opposite of what they had hoped for. This will allow would be buyers to view and test drive trucks before purchasing rather than taking a 3000 mile leap of faith and entrusting large sums to some no name shop in the UK. I don't see the tide of imported trucks slowing, and I think the stateside market for next couple of years for the iconic defender stateside, will burgeon.
There are few examples anywhere of vehicles that can be driven,beaten on, abused, put away wet for 25 years, then rebuilt on a galvanized chassis and re-powered and driven for several more decades, and still look incredible. These trucks stand the test of time like few others.

I think JLRNA has created their own Afghanistan per se. They have foolishly waged a war against their own parent companies product that they cannot win. They cannot change consumer demand for these trucks with these tactics.
"He who doesn't study history and learn from it is destined to repeat it"
Hell they are just increasing the demand. People want what they can't have and the type of person that wants a Defender will put in the effort to get one or has the deep pockets to have it done for them.
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
About 10 years ago I seem to remember rumors of Nissan planning to do exactly this with old Datsun Z cars. Maybe they got slapped down. Or maybe they were just rumors.

Actually it looks like it was 1997:

http://www.theautochannel.com/public...aywewere.frame
Great read!
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:30 PM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

AND here we go AGAIN...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_630wt_1167

I wonder what happened....lol.
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
rijosho