Puma FS at Boston dealer? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old September 15th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just staying one step ahead of DHS

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:15 PM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Update

Spoke with the current owner (dealer/broker). Got to see florida and arizona titles and some other supporting documentation. I am legitimately interested and willing to put a large refundable deposit if they can provide ALL the paperwork. All looks legit BUT no Customs/EPA/DOT documentation available. This car has been passed around to 3-4 dealers in less than one year. Not sure that is normal but I would buy it if it was being sold by a bigger dealer even without the CPB/EPA/DOT docs.

Based on what I saw I did some additional digging (Im in the commercial due diligence business) and I found out it did clear customs in 2012. It was not the only 110 imported at the time either. I got all the other VINs too. The owner could request supporting documentation regarding the vehicle's entry from CBP/EPA/DOT but that may open a can of worms that these dealers probably do not want to chance.

Based on my research THERE IS NO LOOPHOLE to get these vehicles legally into the country for personal (i.e. legally operate on public roadways) at this time. So I am stumped how he got the vehicles in-country.

This is no small investment especially if you follow what has been happening to the gray market Nissan Skylines being seized from people's homes by US Customs in California.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoe View Post
...BUT no Customs/EPA/DOT documentation available. This car has been passed around to 3-4 dealers in less than one year.

Not sure that is normal....

request supporting documentation regarding the vehicle's entry from CBP/EPA/DOT but that may open a can of worms that these dealers probably do not want to chance.

Based on my research THERE IS NO LOOPHOLE to get these vehicles legally into the country for personal (i.e. legally operate on public roadways) at this time
Rich with caveat emptor

If this was a woman from Russia would you marry her?

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You can stop your digging...the truck aint legal.. This is evident from the YOM. The question is do you want to buy it and take a risk of it getting seized or not?..If you are ok with that risk than I wouldnt be broadcasting all the details here.
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Yeah, I'm walking away from this one....
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
No way, no how that 110 is legal.

Now, I 'spose you if you had the coin and you wanted to keep it on your private ranch in west Texas and not drive it on public roads...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
That's easily $20k cheaper than I've seen most other Pumas go for over here though.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If it has a title is it not "clean" enough to get it titled in your state? Exactly where and how would any federal agency be able to seize and destroy it?
You'd just take it to Joe Inspection Station, pay your $90 state inspection, then take the inspection certificate and the previous owner's signed title to DMV. They would take your tax payment, your tags and registration fees and hand you plates. Then you'd be driving a 2008 Land Rover. I don't see the issue here. It's already in country with a valid title.
If someone has the money to buy it, why not? I would if I did.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
there are a few other issues going on here. I won't bother to explain publicly, but just remember if something is too good to be true........
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You can debate this till your blue in the face. I will only point out one fact about this truck and all newer trucks that are here and registered under their true identities. No insurance company will insure it. Due to the fact it is not a 25 year old rebuild your insurance company will ask if it has an EPA sticker. If it doesn't they won't insure it.

It is a requirement for all imports. You need proof it is EPA compliant.
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I can safely say that in AZ, DMV wanted to see the importation paperwork to issue a new title after buying a AZ titled 110 from a private citizen...
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
I can safely say that in AZ, DMV wanted to see the importation paperwork to issue a new title after buying a AZ titled 110 from a private citizen...
I was ready, willing and able to place a considerable refundable deposit in order to review ALL vehicle documentation to include the CPB/EAP/DOT approval forms. I was provided some docs but NOT the importation docs. I was told there was NONE AVAILABLE.

Oh well...

I think it is important to discuss this info here, in the open, in order to ensure folks are well educated on potential issues with procuring one of a kind vehicles on ebay.
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Also the truck has a shit paint job. Pass
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
If it has a title is it not "clean" enough to get it titled in your state? Exactly where and how would any federal agency be able to seize and destroy it?
You'd just take it to Joe Inspection Station, pay your $90 state inspection, then take the inspection certificate and the previous owner's signed title to DMV. They would take your tax payment, your tags and registration fees and hand you plates. Then you'd be driving a 2008 Land Rover. I don't see the issue here. It's already in country with a valid title.
If someone has the money to buy it, why not? I would if I did.
hmm...where do I begin? While what you are saying makes common sense it is not that simple. Just ask DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of Nissan Skylines legally imported into the US then seized by the Justice Department and sold at auction for export only. Importation permits RESCINDED.

DOT has the authority and will rescind importation authorization to any vehicle imported if improprieties are discovered. It does not take much for them to do it as they continue to harass Skyline owners.

Please realize that there is a difference between having a state registration and being Federally legalized as some states are more lenient than others when it comes to issuing state vehicle registrations to owners. A 2008 Rover in-country, "legally imported" could still be considered illegal in the eyes of the NHTSA/DOT/EPA be seized / impounded without warning or compensation. What does that mean? A state registered vehicle is just a registered vehicle. Registration could still be revoked by the DOT, EPA, or CPB , if the vehicle was found to have entered into the country fraudulently.

This is just my 2 cents. Do not mean to insult anyone's intelligence as I am new on this board. I was just floored when I found out this vehicle was available and subsequently discovered several others were also imported at the same time by the same guy. In the long run this affects all of us as DOT/EPA/CPB becomes more and more stringent with importation rules because people are constantly trying to get around them.

I think listing this vehicle on EBay without ALL the correct paperwork opened a can of worms for the dealers involved.
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
why do these threads inevitably turn into a "what's legal" discussion?

there is NOTHING legal about this truck. there never will be either, no matter what spin is put on it.
My original post was baiscally acknowleging that it wasn't legal, but one may have the opportunity to buy this with something of a hedge because Herb Chambers (family of car dealerships) is worth probably billions of dollars and since they were selling it, it would probably insulate the consumer from any loss.

Now, the truck has worked its way around the country via small independent dealers and is 50% of the original ask price when the truck was at Flagship Motors (Chambers) in Lynnfield, MA. Why do you think that would be? I don't know the answer to that question because nobody would answer it when I asked.

But ask yourself this question - If a nice restored 25-year old D-110 with a 300 TDI and galvy frame good workmanship etc, is worth in the $40-$50,000 range (maybe more), wouldnt' it stand to reason that a real Puma that has never been dissassembled mis-matched and is LHD is worth way more than $60,000?

All I'm saying is that if the original dealer could answer any of my questions regarding insurance and registration I would have made an offer. Granted it wouldn't have been $120,000 and maybe the deal wouldn't have been done. Now it's $64,000 and the same unanswered questions but without a big dealership conglomerate to back up the sale.

I'm saying that I would have been all over this at this price (even knowing it's not legal) if a big dealership had been the one selling it to me. It's way more risky when some independent "broker" is selling it and the truck isn't even in his physical posession.

to back up for a minute. THe truck is illegal. to paint it with any other kind of brush is just kidding yourself. It's in the country and possibly could be enjoyed by the next owner indefinately who knows, but you'll be looking over your shoulder often if you own this.
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:21 PM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Agree 100%. I was torn for the exact reasons stated above, if this truck was being sold at a big name dealership I would be all over it. Not now, especially after some of the discussions I had with the folks involved.
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
why do these threads inevitably turn into a "what's legal" discussion?

there is NOTHING legal about this truck. there never will be either, no matter what spin is put on it.
I don't know about NEVER....what about 2033 ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

there is NOTHING legal about this truck...no matter what spin is put on it.....you'll be looking over your shoulder often if you own this.
Very well put (all of it) ought to be a sticky.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Per broker car sold to a buyer in MA.
Good luck to the buyer. Unf. he/she will need it especially after what I discovered yesterday here in Florida about the vehicle. I have the jacksonville entry docs/info now. I was hoping this importation if legal could set a precedent for a future importation in my part. UNFORTUNATELY IT DOES NOT.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
madmoe
Mauricio D
1992/D90

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
fs