Puma FS at Boston dealer? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:17 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I know nothing about this truck but it could be here legally. There are a couple random ones registered as 2002 and 2006s. Hell Dale had a stick disco 2 from South America if I'm not mistaken. Granted they may not be EPA compliant but they could be here via legal channels. States give exemptions in certain instances.

I think this one has Florida plates if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I know nothing about this truck but it could be here legally. There are a couple random ones registered as 2002 and 2006s. Hell Dale had a stick disco 2 from South America if I'm not mistaken. Granted they may not be EPA compliant but they could be here via legal channels. States give exemptions in certain instances.

I think this one has Florida plates if that matters.
Imagine having the only legal Puma in the US, now that is worth the six-figure price of admission!

Yeah, I wasn't screaming conspiracy, or scam or foul. I was just lusting over it and wondering how a large franchise dealer ends up with it. Scratching my head trying to guess at what loophole was used, or how legit it is. For all the Pumas we come across (on the board and otherwise......and there are quite a few), very few are marketed/sold by legitimate franchise dealers with a lot to lose. If one were going to take a risk on buying a Puma, I think this would be the best way to do it. At least you could claim ignorance and possibly have some recourse should DOT show up some day. Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption, but hey I'm just a dumb consumer walking off the street into a dealership.
BTW, Massachusetts has some of the strictest consumer protection laws in the country (in favor of consumers).
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Shady dealings here.. Km to miles is an excusable "typo"? Or a sneaky way to lure people in? VIN that doesn't equate? Range rover description? My guess is it's another oldie built with the new parts...... By a slime ball dealer looking to cash in on the Nantucket crowd.

Speaking of new parts,

I don't know why you guys drool over these things so much.... Not much has changed other than the Interior has gone completely to plastic, layer upon layer. Looks like a jeep. the gauges? Rally? Theyre just about the plainest shit I've ever seen! What's with the shift knob? An arrow telling us to put it to the left to get into reverse? As if the R being up and to the left isn't enough? Thanks but I think I could have figured that one out on my own.... They even had to sheathe the stick in a plastic dildo for some reason. So yeah. Not too impressed. they couldn't even get the wings leveled. Rant off

I like engine upgrades. New diesels rock. But other than better power plants, what has really improved on the "Puma". (no longer a defender? now they're pumas?) are they getting the slick traction control of all the other LR's? That with the d's susp might make it unstoppable..

So why all the fanboy?
Please enlighten me.

~Caffeinated Steve
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Imagine having the only legal Puma in the US, now that is worth the six-figure price of admission!
Rovers North beat everyone to it years ago...2010 I believe, for business purposes.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
I don't know why you guys drool over these things so much.... Not much has changed other than the Interior has gone completely to plastic, layer upon layer. Looks like a jeep. the gauges? Rally? Theyre just about the plainest shit I've ever seen! What's with the shift knob? An arrow telling us to put it to the left to get into reverse? As if the R being up and to the left isn't enough? Thanks but I think I could have figured that one out on my own.... They even had to sheathe the stick in a plastic dildo for some reason. So yeah. Not too impressed. they couldn't even get the wings leveled. Rant off
So why all the fanboy?
Please enlighten me.

~Caffeinated Steve
Well yes, I sorta agree, but it's like asking myself why I continue to look at hot chicks. They are obviously costly, high-maintence, useless oxogen thiefs......yet I still want them.

I said earlier that I catch myself feeling stupid when I rationalize finding a way to own a brand new Defender. It makes no practical sense really. for the amount you pay and would put at risk, you're really limiting yourself in terms of actual capabilities. Not to mention the service complications when one of the many computors or electronic thingys break. THAT SAID, I still want one. Personally, I think it would be for the bragging rights more than anything. Sooooo, that's quite a bit of coin to spend trying to one-up The Jones. If you got it like that, then good for you. I definately have better ways to spend my disposable income.

This is really a bizzaro-world! Imagine a world where some random country (say Jordan) no longer allowed imports of Chevy Suburbans because they and Jordanians were paying the equivelent of USD$150,000 for a 2010 SUburban with 40,000 miles?

It's cool to have things that nobody else has, but for Christ sakes there are easier and less costly ways to accomplish that. Everyone has their price-points (where they would say "no way, not at that price") and mine gets lower the more I rationalize and learn.
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Well yes, I sorta agree, but it's like asking myself why I continue to look at hot chicks. They are obviously costly, high-maintence, useless oxogen thiefs......yet I still want them.

I said earlier that I catch myself feeling stupid when I rationalize finding a way to own a brand new Defender. It makes no practical sense really. for the amount you pay and would put at risk, you're really limiting yourself in terms of actual capabilities. Not to mention the service complications when one of the many computors or electronic thingys break. THAT SAID, I still want one. Personally, I think it would be for the bragging rights more than anything. Sooooo, that's quite a bit of coin to spend trying to one-up The Jones. If you got it like that, then good for you. I definately have better ways to spend my disposable income.

This is really a bizzaro-world! Imagine a world where some random country (say Jordan) no longer allowed imports of Chevy Suburbans because they and Jordanians were paying the equivelent of USD$150,000 for a 2010 SUburban with 40,000 miles?

It's cool to have things that nobody else has, but for Christ sakes there are easier and less costly ways to accomplish that. Everyone has their price-points (where they would say "no way, not at that price") and mine gets lower the more I rationalize and learn.
Right On!! So when are you getting the new truck? ...lol
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

The starting bid on this thing is 50k. The guy wants 129k for it. Not sure I would consider 129k cheap.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Would not that is. There is also a reserve on the auction. It's not selling for under 100k
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Sounds like a good way to justify getting sliders

-Jeff
My thoughts exactly.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Interesting comments on this, I've often thought of getting sliders for the 110 for just this reason...even though the versions on the market today are really just beefed up regular sills, you think they'd offer some side impact protection that would be worth considering?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Interesting comments on this, I've often thought of getting sliders for the 110 for just this reason...even though the versions on the market today are really just beefed up regular sills, you think they'd offer some side impact protection that would be worth considering?
Given they are not designed for the purpose I doubt they'd do much besides give you a false sense of security.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Actually, when I had my accident, my D90 spun out and the other guys toyota rear end made impact with my right side allmakes rock sliders. It protected the tub and door from any more damage. Given it wasn't a direct hit but it definately helped to protect the side, without rock sliders I would of had way more damage to the panels, mabye even more..

Robert Deniro
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Actually, when I had my accident, my D90 spun out and the other guys toyota rear end made impact with my right side allmakes rock sliders. It protected the tub and door from any more damage. Given it wasn't a direct hit but it definately helped to protect the side, without rock sliders I would of had way more damage to the panels, mabye even more..
Yeah ... I get that but would you trust that to make a material improvement to the side impact protection if your kids lives were at stake ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I just put that VIN (SALLDHMS88A753076) into microcat. It's a good number, came up with the following info:

build date: 06/12/2007
engine: 2.4 TDCi duratorque 16v (the standard pre 2.2 "puma engine")
6 speed manual tranny
EU4 emissions
with A/C
5 door station wagon
LHD 110"
interior: dark graphite
exterior: Alaska white (909 paint code)
Cloth interior

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Yeah ... I get that but would you trust that to make a material improvement to the side impact protection if your kids lives were at stake ...
Seeing how I flushed probably billions of my kids into the toilet throughout the years, and even paid for those special pills to make one go away a few years ago (whew!) yes I would trust an allmakes rock slider to protect my ficticious children. On a serious note, why is this even an issue, if your scared to die in a D90 side impact than buy a range rover or LR4 or a wrangler. If you want a D90 but want some peace of mind buy sliders, weld and bolt them in for more strength.

Robert Deniro
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Seeing how I flushed probably billions of my kids into the toilet throughout the years, and even paid for those special pills to make one go away a few years ago (whew!) yes I would trust an allmakes rock slider to protect my ficticious children. On a serious note, why is this even an issue, if your scared to die in a D90 side impact than buy a range rover or LR4 or a wrangler. If you want a D90 but want some peace of mind buy sliders, weld and bolt them in for more strength.
Hey do you have kids? No? Lucky them .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley

No way you're not sterile.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
No way you're not sterile.
Easy on the double-negatives.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
I just put that VIN (SALLDHMS88A753076) into microcat. It's a good number, came up with the following info:

build date: 06/12/2007
engine: 2.4 TDCi duratorque 16v (the standard pre 2.2 "puma engine")
6 speed manual tranny
EU4 emissions
with A/C
5 door station wagon
LHD 110"
interior: dark graphite
exterior: Alaska white (909 paint code)
Cloth interior
I figured it would come up correctly. Some of the posts about km and vins have been absurd and based on guessing. The color thing is odd but without seeing the truck in person I guess a respray is totally possible.
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
The side sill is nothing more than a piece of thin sheet aluminum (in the wrong axis so it might as well not even be there) and a light steel section for the door jamb and something for the floor plate to attach to. A slider brings a 1/8" to 3/16" wall by 1.5" by 3" structural steel tubing into the equation. Add a 1.5" dia nurf bar, all the better. Think about it, you can jack up the side of the vehicle from the slider. Try that with the OEM side sill.

Even more of a concern is the side saddle fuel tank locations on the ROWs. This design flaw in the 73' to 87' GM trucks probably cost them a $1B and over 2000 fatalities (20 times the Pinto's fatalities). Knowing this, LR needed to change the tank location for the D to bring them into the states.

History here: http://www.autosafety.org/history-gm...as-tank-defect

http://youtu.be/RqpOyiIx8n4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
fs