Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 06:38 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Why are the Rovers in "your" collection all over the USA?
Old September 28th, 2015, 06:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm a bit confused as well unless Pink Hat takes submissions, considering about 90% of those vehicles were listed here by their actual owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Smelling a scam or an ill conceived business idea but I could be wrong.
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:12 PM
PinkHat
pb
none

definitely not a scam, but won't argue with an ill-conceived business idea

we market these for free on behalf of sellers. we like these cars so we want to market them. the sellers are working with us / are our clients (at no cost to them or buyers / readers).

we built the same type of newsletter for vintage Volvos and all the Volvo lovers really loved it so we're branching out.

that ok with the defender source community?
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHat View Post
definitely not a scam, but won't argue with an ill-conceived business idea

we market these for free on behalf of sellers. we like these cars so we want to market them. the sellers are working with us / are our clients (at no cost to them or buyers / readers).

we built the same type of newsletter for vintage Volvos and all the Volvo lovers really loved it so we're branching out.

that ok with the defender source community?
That would be a decision for the Forum Administrators/Mods.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM
PinkHat
pb
none

i guess I'll reach out to the administrators / mods... if they boot me, so be it. but, i tried to follow the rules and posted in the flea market forum which seems like the right spot given my post content
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:06 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
...we market these for free on behalf of the sellers......the sellers are working with us / are our clients (at no cost to them or buyers / readers)....
Serious question: what's the catch, or more precisely, the end game for you?

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2015 08:11 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Follow up to add that I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be a jerk.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:19 PM
PinkHat
pb
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2015 08:11 PM ------

Follow up to add that I'm genuinely curious, not trying to be a jerk.
it's a good & fair question. the honest answer (and perhaps not a popular one) is i don't know.

i like doing this. as i said, i built out an e-mail based newsletter & marketplace for vintage Volvos that the Volvo community really liked. Not only do we help a lot of Volvo owners sell their cars but we also help Volvo lovers browse the market, have cars delivered directly to their inbox instead of searching Craigslist, and have a cool newsletter to read every week.

I had my own business for the past few years and a few months back I stepped away from it so I have a lot of time. I like cars and decided to build the vintage Volvo newsletter and people liked it.

Now I'm doing Land Rovers.

Where will it go in the future? I don't know.

Will I have advertisers in the newsletter? Maybe.

Do I plan to ever charge sellers, buyers or readers? Probably not.

Will I be able to do this for free forever? No, I'll need income at some point. Maybe I get a job and do this on the side. Or maybe I turn this into a business.

I like cars. I like marketing & growing audiences - it's a skill and if I can build an audience for vintage Volvos or used surf boards or vintage Land Rovers then I can build an audience or a business for something that's more profitable...

I'm typing on the fly so not sure if this flow makes sense or not but I think I'm covering all my bases...

happy to answer more questions so keep firing. But, just because a few people don't like what I'm doing & having fun with - doesn't mean I'm going to stop. Sellers are working with me. I'm trying to help them find buyers.

-pb
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Before we jump down this dude's throat, let's see what it is all about. There used to be a couple of websites that were sort of "conglomerates" of Defenders for sale...I think it was www.d90forsale.com and www.d110forsale.com (or something like that). It was just a spot/website that listed Defenders for sale, and when I was actively looking it was actually a good resource. If this PB guy has something similar to this in mind, I say let's just see how it pans out before we start chastising the dude .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:23 PM
PinkHat
pb
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Before we jump down this dude's throat, let's see what it is all about. There used to be a couple of websites that were sort of "conglomerates" of Defenders for sale...I think it was www.d90forsale.com and www.d110forsale.com (or something like that). It was just a spot/website that listed Defenders for sale, and when I was actively looking it was actually a good resource. If this PB guy has something similar to this in mind, I say let's just see how it pans out before we start chastising the dude .
Lol well said (and thanks)
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
definitely not a scam, but won't argue with an ill-conceived business idea we market these for free on behalf of sellers. we like these cars so we want to market them. the sellers are working with us / are our clients (at no cost to them or buyers / readers). we built the same type of newsletter for vintage Volvos and all the Volvo lovers really loved it so we're branching out. that ok with the defender source community?
Fuck yeah! More marketing off FleaBay the better it is for all concerned.

Maybe you should post up somewhere on here your services and what you bring/get etc.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Seems similar to Adam Check's Over Hill & Dale.

-Jeff
Except I believe PB is thinking more of a "newsletter" format...where I believe OHD is operated as a webpage. But yeah, maybe along the same lines...and in my opinion anything that brings more attention to these trucks and the brand is a good thing….
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:33 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I miss lrx.com land rover exchange.. be nice if something like that existed again
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
3rd one down is bare chested Brandon's truck.

What is 'Pink Hat' ?

-Jeff
I think only Brandon, Odin and Thor! are right for the truck ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:45 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
the first landy on their web site has some very misleading information, 1984 is a LR 90, the name Defender did not come on till 1990. The site seems ok but you need to proof read the descriptions. I will even not waste my time reading the rest of the ads.
GLWS

1984 D90 RHD
$31,500
FIRST YEAR of the DEFENDER 90; NUMBERS MATCHING ORIGINAL MILEAGE (65,901); BULLET PROOF 2.5NA DIESEL ENGINE; We had this Defender brought in from Wales, England in April of last year (2014). Clean Florida title in my name and registered as a classic. You are looking at a 99% restoration recently completed making this Defender absolutely turnkey. There is NO rust on this Defender at all! It drives better than a 97' Defender does, and as you can imagine, gets a lot of attention on the road. Selling to move on to another project that needs to get completed, and don't have room to store. I have enjoyed it for a year now and its time for someone else to get some enjoyment from such a rare time capsule. Click Link Above for more specs & condition summary
Melbourne Beach, FL USA
e-mail PinkHatLandRovers@gmail.com with offer or questions
************************************************** ******************************

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:00 AM
PinkHat
pb
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
the first landy on their web site has some very misleading information, 1984 is a LR 90, the name Defender did not come on till 1990. The site seems ok but you need to proof read the descriptions. I will even not waste my time reading the rest of the ads.
GLWS

1984 D90 RHD
$31,500
FIRST YEAR of the DEFENDER 90; NUMBERS MATCHING ORIGINAL MILEAGE (65,901); BULLET PROOF 2.5NA DIESEL ENGINE; We had this Defender brought in from Wales, England in April of last year (2014). Clean Florida title in my name and registered as a classic. You are looking at a 99% restoration recently completed making this Defender absolutely turnkey. There is NO rust on this Defender at all! It drives better than a 97' Defender does, and as you can imagine, gets a lot of attention on the road. Selling to move on to another project that needs to get completed, and don't have room to store. I have enjoyed it for a year now and its time for someone else to get some enjoyment from such a rare time capsule. Click Link Above for more specs & condition summary
Melbourne Beach, FL USA
e-mail PinkHatLandRovers@gmail.com with offer or questions
************************************************** ******************************
thanks for pointing that out Roverman!
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I miss lrx.com land rover exchange.. be nice if something like that existed again
X2 Because I also think a place like the old Land Rover Exchange would be cool instead of fleabay.

Ok, my first question is why "Pink Hat"? Sounds like an old ladies drinking club that bitches a lot, tips like shit and insists on 32 separate checks. I look at a Defender and neither "Pink" nor "Hat" pop into my mind. Genuinely curious.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:13 AM
PinkHat
pb
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X2 Because I also think a place like the old Land Rover Exchange would be cool instead of fleabay.

Ok, my first question is why "Pink Hat"? Sounds like an old ladies drinking club that bitches a lot, tips like shit and insists on 32 separate checks. I look at a Defender and neither "Pink" nor "Hat" pop into my mind. Genuinely curious.
Lol - it's simply and literally because I own a hat and it's pink and I figured that's as good of a name as any ... Even if you hate it it's simple enough (and polarizing enough) to remember
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:13 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Because every dick has a "pink hat"? Seems perfect for Defenders.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
for sale, land rover