Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old May 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
That appears to have been a very violent multi roll over @ highway speed. You guys are cranking on the safety factor but reality is there are not many vehicles that live people exit from after multiple rolls.
No kidding. I rolled an LR3 (see avatar) down a 10 foot drop from a stand still and it was unexpectedly violent. Changed my perception of vehicle safety (and my off-road driving skills) forever.

The good news... it was a dealership loaner while my Range Rover was being serviced and my insurance company covered it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2014, 01:42 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
That appears to have been a very violent multi roll over @ highway speed. You guys are cranking on the safety factor but reality is there are not many vehicles that live people exit from after multiple rolls.
She stayed in the car, somehow. It was around 4pm, steady 3 lanes of traffic on IH35 S going thru Austin. She was in a 2000 something Ford Explorer. I was in the far left lane and she passed me in the middle lane, I moved over behind her to let faster drivers by. She had both hands on the wheel. All of a sudden smoke came pouring off her tires like her brakes locked up. I slowed down to give her room. She was trying to keep it in her lane, tight steering adjustments and then her car leaped off the pavement and started to flip. She must have flipped at least 8 times, fast and body panels flew off like shrapnel. I have never seen a car disintegrate like that. I was told that was by design. It was one of those 'Did that just happen?' moments. I looked over at the driver next to me and his jaw was in his lap. I pulled over as quickly as I could to call 911 and the dispatcher said they had already received numerous calls and help was on the way. It was a miracle that no one else was involved in the accident, attentive drivers around her. I still wonder why that happened and I will surely never forget it.
Old May 29th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had a similar experience. I was in a discovery pulling a car trailer with a defender on the trailer. It was right @ dusk in early March 2012. There is a toll booth on I95 @ the Delaware/Maryland line. I was about a half mile below the toll booth where the lanes restrict back to three and a tandem semi rig clipped the front of the disco with the right rear corner of his second trailer. I was back up to 55 mph so picture a disco, a car trailer,and a defender all flipping down the East coasts busiest interstate @ rush hour. The trooper who responded asked the bus full of people who were right behind me for any identifying marks/logo's/numbers from the trailer and no one had any detail they could give him, even though they had seen the whole thing. Yes the way the defender crushes down absorbs the many tons of energy. F1 cars are designed to crush and suspension to shear off to absorb the energy and save the driver. Same concept only the defender doesn't have a driver cell....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Yes. Bought it from Justin at Lucky8
Have him on speed dial......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
SUVs are 75% more likely to rollover in an accident than a passenger car. It is safe to assume a Defender is many times more likely to rollover than your typical SUV.

A little history on rollover protection by SAE:
http://automotivesafetyanalysis.com/...20Pub.%20by%20[peoplesafeinrollovers]%20.pdf

The current Fed Regs for the minimum roof crush resistance: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...prm-to-fr.html
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just saw a pic in an album at Performance Rover this AM of a 97 D90 SW that rolled multiple times. Night and day difference to this 110. Glad I have my exo cage.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:34 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
I had a similar experience. I was in a discovery pulling a car trailer with a defender on the trailer. It was right @ dusk in early March 2012. There is a toll booth on I95 @ the Delaware/Maryland line. I was about a half mile below the toll booth where the lanes restrict back to three and a tandem semi rig clipped the front of the disco with the right rear corner of his second trailer. I was back up to 55 mph so picture a disco, a car trailer,and a defender all flipping down the East coasts busiest interstate @ rush hour. The trooper who responded asked the bus full of people who were right behind me for any identifying marks/logo's/numbers from the trailer and no one had any detail they could give him, even though they had seen the whole thing. Yes the way the defender crushes down absorbs the many tons of energy. F1 cars are designed to crush and suspension to shear off to absorb the energy and save the driver. Same concept only the defender doesn't have a driver cell....
DOUG! Wow, you are a lucky man to be alive. I am always watching the trailers on those semi, especially the tandem haulers. I watch other drivers eyes to see where they are looking and their tire placement. The semi drivers can be fatigued and not as attentive as they should be. One of my aunts was clipped and pinned by a semi driver on IH 35 in San Antonio. He pinned her car against a concrete median and drug her for 100s of feet and never even noticed. He kept on driving. The running joke to locals is I35 is called 'ISurvive'. So glad you made it through that ok. I can tell you would have been missed dearly.
Take care of yourself (dang it)

I had a interesting close call once. I was on the access road of I35 and I saw an old pickup coming towards me in my lane. I watched him for awhile and once I realized he wasn't getting over, I put myself into the ditch and let him pass. Wasn't too interested in playing chicken.
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I've got my cage. It's a special cage.
Of course fo rthe money I spent on the cage, it should be pretty close to the standard of an F-1 driver's cell in terms of safety.
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I've got my cage. It's a special cage.
Of course fo rthe money I spent on the cage, it should be pretty close to the standard of an F-1 driver's cell in terms of safety.
Yeah yours should pretty much have the ability to fly like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I had a interesting close call once. I was on the access road of I35 and I saw an old pickup coming towards me in my lane. I watched him for awhile and once I realized he wasn't getting over, I put myself into the ditch and let him pass. Wasn't too interested in playing chicken.
I had a similar experience. A drunk driver went to pass another vehicle and came head on into my lane. I swerved into the wooden construction barricade and buried her in the mud. I locked the diff to get out of the mud and backed out to give chase only to realize he hit the car behind me.
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Yeah yours should pretty much have the ability to fly like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
It does Doug....in my mind it really does!

PS-check your computor for a virus, I got spammed by your account yesterday (both by a .it server) PM me and I'll send you a screenshot, but its probably just some spammer that hacked your address book in Gmail or something.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
It does Doug....in my mind it really does!

PS-check your computor for a virus, I got spammed by your account yesterday (both by a .it server) PM me and I'll send you a screenshot, but its probably just some spammer that hacked your address book in Gmail or something.

Uncle Spam?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:44 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I had a similar experience. A drunk driver went to pass another vehicle and came head on into my lane. I swerved into the wooden construction barricade and buried her in the mud. I locked the diff to get out of the mud and backed out to give chase only to realize he hit the car behind me.
Oh my gosh. Was that in Austin?
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:47 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
It was in South Austin a few years back. South 1st to be exact, a few blocks south of Oltorf, when they had it down to two lanes.
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:05 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
I used to have a 1998 4Runner. I lived in Colorado at the time. Around 10pm one July night I was driving down a 2 lane road with a 30 or so foot slope on either side. Out of nowhere a deer jumped from the slope onto the road. It never hit the ground as I crushed it mid leap. I then swerved and rolled down the embankment 4 compete rolls. 4 runner crushed all around me but I walked away with only a cut on my arm from the windows shattering. 4 runner was obviously totaled so I bought an audi a4. A few years I was hit head on in that by a drunk driver. Fortunately I also walked away unhurt. Miracles. ... So count me as another defender fan who has a very real perspective on their lack of actual safety protection.
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:14 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

One of my brothers got t-boned by a drunk driver blowing thru a red light. Totaled his truck. He was ok thank goodness - just sore for awhile. Are you liking it here Luis? Did you say you are from Louisiana? Louisiana is a nice place. I enjoy all the festivals, hunting, fishing and the people. They are a hoot. I went to a Fur Festival in Cameron years ago. I don't know of anywhere else you can see a competition on who is the fastest to field dress
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I don't care much for it here. Maybe it's the traffic and large population. Maybe I just miss the humidity. I can't handle this baking heat.
I've never been to the Fur Festival. But I have been to the Crawfish Festival in Breaux Bridge and the Bonnie and Clyde Festival near Shreveport.
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I don't care much for it here. Maybe it's the traffic and large population. Maybe I just miss the humidity. I can't handle this baking heat.
I've never been to the Fur Festival. But I have been to the Crawfish Festival in Breaux Bridge and the Bonnie and Clyde Festival near Shreveport.
And summer has just arrived. I'm use to the heat. I am prepared for my Easy Bake Oven landy The population is booming. I am sure plenty native Austinities can remember when there were many more open fields, gravel roads and mom and pop groceries; instead of the shopping centers and subdivisions that are here now. What is your tag line about? Do you teach?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:36 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I do remember visiting my grandparents up here when I was a kid. I remember Austin long before Mopac was even on the drawing board. No upper level I-35, and 183 ended at Jim's on Burnet. I remember attending air shows at Bergstrom AFB during Aguafest. Now I work at Bergstrom.
Funny isn't it?!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:50 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Oh my gosh really?! Now you have the Circuit of the Americas. Round Rock/Pflugerville is north Austin and Buda/Kyle is south. I take my son to Muster Day at Camp Mabry. That's pretty cool Luis nice to meet you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market