On Ebay, is this one legal? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old March 27th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

While people squabbled, another Defender left the Nation's border....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2016, 06:47 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
While people squabbled, another Defender left the Nation's border....
"we are losing on trade, we are losing on immigration, we are losing on DEFENDERS!"
Old March 27th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
The truck is sold headed to Costa Rica so it really doesn't matter at this point. Hopefully you guys can rest easy as Barney five detectives knowing it's leaving the country. The truck has been in the country for 10 years and titled and register in three different states. About as good and legit of a new style defender as you could get but all of that is irrelevant at this point.

Barney Fife... classic

Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2016, 07:02 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Can we sing this now?

Old March 27th, 2016, 08:16 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Thumbs up

Yes. Fife. Auto fill sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:52 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
This was a really odd thread...
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:43 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
The truck is sold headed to Costa Rica so it really doesn't matter at this point. Hopefully you guys can rest easy as Barney five detectives knowing it's leaving the country. The truck has been in the country for 10 years and titled and register in three different states. About as good and legit of a new style defender as you could get but all of that is irrelevant at this point.
Congratulations on the sale...but. Since the op got a bit of heat, and some feathers seem to have been ruffled, I figured some truth should be thrown out in this thread. As a junior detective I noticed you brought up carfax. Since you've seen the carfax report you know this particular D90 wasn't brought into the US until 2012 when it was registered as a diplomatic vehicle. Sometime in 2013 it was rolled, there's pictures online if you use that Jr detective tool..Google. Then, sometime in 2013 the D90 made its way to a Copart lot where it was sold with a bill of sale as a "parts only" vehicle with no engine, allegedly unable to be titled if you are to believe Copart. Fast forward to the gentleman in Texas who bought it from Copart in 2013 and rebuilt it. Here's a little exerp from his sale

"2005 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 TD5 FOR SALE, . I BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE WRECKED AND REBUILT IT AS A PERSONAL PROJECT. IT IS NOT IN MINT CONDITION, IT DOES HAVE SOME MINOR DETAILS BUT OVER ALL IT IS IN VERY GOOD SHAPE. IT IS RUNNING VERY SMOOTHLY. NO PROBLEMS WITH ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION **THIS VEHICLE WILL BE SOLD WITH A BILL OF SALE ONLY, TITLE NOT AVAILABLE** ...Vehicle VIN# SALLDVB585A707581..."

It looks like it was then purchased by someone in Florida who was somehow able to get it titled (clean title?) as a 2005. So, this vehicle has been titled in one state, and prior to whoever was able to get it titled in Florida it was sold without a title with the first US sale (auction) as "parts only" and unable to be titled in Texas.

I'm not all too sure I understand the responses in this thread by some. New member or not, prior to knowing the seller on ebay was a member the op wasn't crapping on anyone's attempt to sell this D90 on ebay, and it's a type of thread that's been started many times here without issue. When I first saw the thread, I took op's first post as either asking a legitimate question as a potential buyer wondering about a newer looking D90 being sold as a 1980, or as a somewhat educated potential buyer who realized it was a newer D90 being portrayed as a 1980. The statement about it being listed as a 1980 due to ebay's limitations is understandable, but I have seen similar vehicles being sold that have a year listed in the sale title, with the correct year listed in the description. I'm a believer in truth in advertising, but maybe my work as a Jr detective has left me a bit jaded.
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Reserving comments on what is here legally when you don't know; whom brought the car in, or what the story is, is a good way to avoid looking like a chump. There are many many vehicles in the US that while you or I cannot bring that particular vehicle in, they are here legally. Just one example would be exceptions given to Doctors Without Border's. I have seen several trucks brought back by Dr's and a special dispensation has been made by the Fed's. Asking if something is legal in an open forum is pointless unless someone who knows that vehicles history/story responds.
It's often whom you know, not what you know.

Armchair experts with no depth of knowledge/experience amaze me.

FWIW if you have ever lived in the DC or NYC metropolitan area's you know diplomat vehicles end up on ebay, craigslist etc all the time. I have personally owned several.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 28th, 2016, 12:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
One day many many years ago I was driving past the Embassy of South Africa and I was in the 2A when this stunning blue 110 County pulled out. We both waved at each other...I was so wanting that truck, but I knew it was brand new and no way I could ever dream of it...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
ebay