Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Really? Some put their max price in and let it ride. Any amount under that and they get it, if its above that, someone else wanted more.
It's not the best strategy for the shrewd buyer, that's all I'm saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

sniping wins
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:38 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
sniping wins
This, and what Chris said. I often sit and laugh at people who bid back and forth with eachother days before the auction ends. When there's something I'm interested in I set a max total price including shipping I'm willing to pay for said item. I subtract the shipping charge, add a buck or two and maybe some odd change amount and come up with my bid amount. Watch the auction till there's ~5 seconds left and enter my max bid. If I win, great. If I don't that's ok too because it means I didn't get caught up in some bidding war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I use auctionstealer.com sometimes. Have saved some serious coin over the years. Usually I find X-mad presents with auctions that end at weird times and have them sniped.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
I've talked to the 2112humble guy. His name is Tom and he seems to be straightforward and legit. He says he has "a steady stream" of Defenders coming into the states.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
In other news. Looks like Clay's is in first right now, but who will win?

2) Kissimmee, FL Dealer - 2112humble - BIG BLUE "1983 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 COUNTY 3.5 V8 STUNNING EXAMPLE": 1 Day, 12 Hours Remaining, currently $20,199.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...item4ac33b7a8a

3) Kissimmee, FL Dealer - 2112humble - GRAY "1988 LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 COUNTY 2.5L TURBO DIESEL STUNNING EXAMPLE": 6 Days, 8 Hours Remaining, BIN $31,999.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...813f7952#v4-37
I just checked out "East Coast Defender" website. I gotta say, I like the no-BS marketing approach with regard to being up front about the import process and the "About Us" section where it almost discouraged would-be buyers that aren't suited for Defender ownership. That's how I would do it. Does anyone know the Principal or who's behind this operation? Wonder if Land Rover minds (or knows) that he pirated most of the "glory shot" photos from their marketing materials? Otherwise, cool website. Not sure I'd be up for paying $31,000 for an "original" '88 Defender that didn't at least have a 200/300 TDI or some type of new frame or something.

Has everyone noticed the amount of new shops and business models built on the premise that they can continmue to obtain and import Defenders from the UK? Man, the amount of flippers/rebuilders has ballooned in the past year it seems. Not exactly the space I'd want to be operating in right now (competition, import situation etc.)
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
google show the number belonging to: Tom Humble. part of the Florida Land Rover Club.

this place too: http://uslandrover.com/Home_Page.php
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It's not the best strategy for the shrewd buyer, that's all I'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
sniping wins

Agreed... all your doing is driving up the price inevitably paying more.
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Clay, I think they reason you're getting a reaction from Dave is that he was surprised to find you're buying and selling, and the bottom line is that vendors & dealers here get treated differently. There are lots of business people here in the community in good standing, but we know who they are, and they don't manipulate or use the community for their own advantage. They also typically offer some kind of "free chicken" like gratis advice, price breaks, first shot at parts, etc. Lots of us have benefitted from their knowledge and participation.

There are some other business people whom we don't need here- they might offer suspect trucks, attempt to snatch below-market trucks/parts to flip, and otherwise get a lot more out of the community than they put in. They usually keep a low profile and it's always annoying to uncover someone who is just using the forum to make a few bucks. Sometimes they're just amateurs, but even when they have real businesses, they're not professional.

Now Clay, I'm not accusing you of any of the bad practices because I don't know anything about the Barry situation or any of your transactions, but I, like Dave, was surprised to find you "in the game.". Having been around here awhile, I figured I was aware of who was in the business, even only casually. So to hear that you're in it to make money, I immediately start going back in my head and thinking about your posts and activities to reevaluate and see if there has been something I've missed.

Trying to stay on the down-low when you're buying and selling is naturally going to invite skepticism. It's an anathema to business (where you want everyone to know who you are) and once people know what you're up to they're going to wonder if you're posting and participating wearing your enthusiast hat, or your profit-making hat.

Again, no accusations, but I think I think Dave is the only person who piped up with a very understandable reaction when a bunch of other people just rolled their eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 12th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Rover110
Steve
1993 Defender 110 NAS #472

Old April 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Thanks Jim for taking the time to get up to speed and crafting some well thought out remarks. My plan is to try and use this experience and find a way to adjust as I move forward.

Thanks for your help. Thanks as well to all those that have PM'd and emailed privately over the past couple days.

Regards,
Clay

Old April 14th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Someone just got a deal on this 110!! Dang. Ended above reserve at $20,199

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1773415355.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	70114

Name:	image-231259179.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	70115
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Someone just got a deal on this 110!! Dang. Ended above reserve at $20,199
You interested in a right hand drive?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

You interested in a right hand drive?
For sure. I wouldn't discriminate on a RHD.

Did anyone on here get that 110 county that just ended?
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:

For sure. I wouldn't discriminate on a RHD.

Did anyone on here get that 110 county that just ended?
I figured you were a bidder, no?
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

I figured you were a bidder, no?
I wish I could have been. Unfortunately as a self-employed dude I don't have that kind of cash liquid. My 90 would have to go for me to make any 110 moves. I did talk to the seller Tom and he said that it did in fact sell for that price. Huge score by somebody.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:20 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
I wish I could have been. Unfortunately as a self-employed dude I don't have that kind of cash liquid. My 90 would have to go for me to make any 110 moves. I did talk to the seller Tom and he said that it did in fact sell for that price. Huge score by somebody.
No better time than now to make the move.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:21 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Hopefully it went to someone that is going to enjoy it..great price!
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

We did
Old June 27th, 2013, 04:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
This one is only 4x as much as the one originally in this ad, at a Buy it Now of $90k. I think it's been discussed before, but Dillers is literally smoking some nice crack on this one. The hyperbole in the ad is literally overwhelming. What do you think they bought it for? 6?

Gotta love how the price INCLUDES shipping though! Bargain!

And how the last line is: "AN EXCELLENT INVESTMENT WHICH WILL ONLY INCREASE IN VALUE!" - Really? $90k is leaving room for it to increase in value? Really?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...exp=true#v4-37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
diller563 ( Feedback Score Of 77)

Item Location: Leeds, United Kingdom

Dillers 4x4s Ltd ’ operate from the UK dealing in quality Land Rovers since 1996. We only buy and sell the very best available to us using our expert knowledge and experience. We offer a friendly service and ensure all vehicles are fully inspected.

Most vehicles come with comprehensive parts & labour warranties for added peace of mind and offer tailored finance packages to suit all budgets. We also accept all major credit & debit cards including American Express.

We try to describe our vehicles as accurate as possible to avoid disappointment. Being Land Rover enthusiasts ourselves, we sell vehicles with great pride, passion and confidence. You will find buying a Land Rover from us, a great experience.

A small deposit can secure any vehicle and can be transferred to another vehicle.We are located on the outskirts of North Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK and are very easy to find. Customers can be collected from the nearest train station or airport, for your convenience.

GOOGLE, DILLERS 4X4S LEEDS TO FIND OUR WEBSITE FOR FULL CONTACT DETAILS.

“ONE FOR THE ENTHUSIAST/COLLECTOR”

THIS CLASSIC ROVER TRUCK IS ELIGIBLE FOR IMMEDIATE USA/CANADA EXPORT
(Price INCLUDES shipping to your chosen US/Canadian Port in a secure container)

WE HAVE GLOBAL EXPORT EXPERIENCE & HAVE EXPORTED LAND ROVERS ALL OVER THE WORLD. BUY WITH COMPLETE CONFIDENCE

An Absolute Unbelievable ORIGINAL ‘Time Warp’ Example!

Here is the correct VIN (ebay.com doesnt recognise UK vin)
**SALLDHMV1AA199810**

“We really do not know where to start with this vehicle…. This vehicle was supplied new by Silkmore Garage of Staffordshire, UK back in 1983 to a gentleman who never ever took her out in the rain and always kept it covered in a heated garage, hence the condition inside & out is virtually as new and unmarked! (Truly unbelievable) It has been maintained to the highest possible standards and after 23 years and only covering 55,000 miles he decided to part with it to someone who wanted it for their own private collection in 2006.

Since then it again has been kept covered in a heated garage and has only covered around 300 miles! The Chassis (frame), Bulkhead, doors etc…are absolutely immaculate and the beautiful V8 purrs just as it did 30 years ago! This is one unbelievable classic Land Rover which comes with all its original paperwork from new including its original Land Rover build Card and original purchase invoice etc!”

We was approached by the world wide magazine 'Land Rover Monthly' who stated they had not seen anything quite like this vehicle and have published a 6 page feature article focusing on its unbelievable condition and history which is to be released on the 4th July 2013.

Once this has gone, you will not come across another! This is truly one in a million!

You are looking at an incredible 1983 A reg Land Rover ONE TEN County Station Wagon 3.5 V8 in original Roan Brown with Limestone sides and wheels.

**MUST BE THE FINEST EARLY 110 V8 EXAMPLE’S IN THE WORLD**
If you know of a better example, (which we very much doubt) we would love to hear from you!

Only 1 Former Owner from New
(1st owner for 23 years then in a private collection ever since)

Genuine low miles of 56,000

Fully documented Service History with every previous MOT’ from new!

Full Comprehensive HPI Report with mileage verified by the NMR
(FULL CLEAR TITLE)

MOT til April 2014 with No Advisories

Just been fully serviced

Taxed til Nov 2013

12 Original Unmarked Brushwood cloth seats with original rubber mats & belts (As New)

Original 4 Speed Gearbox with optional Over Drive (Very Rare)

Factory optional Power Steering

Original Rubber Mats having been covered from new which are all AS NEW

100 % Fully functional Original Kenwood Radio Cassette with factory fitted speakers

Original Factory optional Ash Tray which has never been used!

Original unused Toolkit, Crank Handle and Jack

Original sliding windows and all gutters etc like BRAND NEW due to it never being out in the rain. WOW!

Original fully functional 5 folding steps

5 excellent Avon Rangemaster Tyres with plenty of tread including original unused spare

Original Galvanised Bumper

Original Tow bar + elecs

Original Number Plates & tax disc holder from the supplying dealership

Fully Waxoyld chassis (Frame). Digging through its huge file of paperwork, the frame has been regularly oiled and treated throughout its life which has never had any repairs what so ever, Not even a Cross member! Totally Original (unbelievable but true)

Absolute Impeccable Original Condition Th/out. Never off roaded, been smoked in or carried pets!
Comes With Original Build Card from Solihull, original purchase receipt back in 1983, original Handbook, original Service Book and all relevant original docs etc…

This classic Land Rover is totally original in every respect as it came off the production Line in Solihull back in 1983. The seats etc… appear to have never been sat on! Truly amazing and can only be described as a show piece example, good enough for museums, shows or for the real collector! A credit to its owner who has clearly cherished this vehicle and kept it in such immaculate original showroom condition.
You will clearly see and feel the difference in the drive and quality of this spectacular classic V8 Land rover with its awesome roar!
We have been dealing in Land Rovers since 1996 and this is by far the best early ‘ONE TEN’ we have ever seen and doubt will ever see another one as good as this.
Once in a life time opportunity to purchase this classic Land Rover of this Quality, History & Condition. Not to be missed.
Truly amazing!
AN EXCELLENT INVESTMENT WHICH WILL ONLY INCREASE IN VALUE!
Any Trial/Inspection Welcome
Viewing Essential!
58,995 GBP
(PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING TO YOUR CHOSEN USA/CANADIAN PORT IN A SECURE CONTAINER)
Please call us for more information
011+44113 2888058 or 011+447889 962189

(anytime)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90k 110 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	75079   Click image for larger version

Name:	90k 110 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.4 KB