Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
So this is the truck that Barry was trying to buy, sent an email to Clay asking for his advice, Clay purchased the truck out from under Barry, Barry was pissed and even offered to buy for a small markup and clay refused saying that it was too special to pass up and was keeping it for himself?

And a month later it is being flipped
College is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Ha! You guys are tough.

To be totally honest I've found it fun to pick up the trucks i've come across and reselling them. No more complicated than that. It is starting to help me put a kid through college and prepaying tuition for my next two but I certainly can't make a living doing it.

Clay
Seriously? The logical end to this process is a bunch of confiscated trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
So this is the truck that Barry was trying to buy, sent an email to Clay asking for his advice, Clay purchased the truck out from under Barry, Barry was pissed and even offered to buy for a small markup and clay refused saying that it was too special to pass up and was keeping it for himself?

And a month later it is being flipped
This is the truck eBay was advertising in the right margin of d90.com and which I spent all of two minutes deciding to hit Buy It Now. I sent Barry an email, after contacting the Seller, with a pic to get his thoughts. Thats when he blew a gasket and began accusing me of buying to spite him.

I'm sure if Barry had a couple weeks to worry about it and after bugging the shit out of the seller he might have come around to buying it but I doubt it.

Clay

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2013 07:05 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Seriously? The logical end to this process is a bunch of confiscated trucks.
Huh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:

This is the truck eBay was advertising in the right margin of d90.com and which I spent all of two minutes deciding to hit Buy It Now. I sent Barry an email, after contacting the Seller, with a pic to get his thoughts. Thats when he blew a gasket and began accusing me of buying to spite him.

I'm sure if Barry had a couple weeks to worry about it and after bugging the shit out of the seller he might have come around to buying it but I doubt it.

Clay

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2013 07:05 PM ------

Huh?
Clay,

It wasn't the day of that bothered me. I can believe you missed my messages. It's the fact we literally talked the day before about finding me one and you said "sure buddy".

I did call the seller once and all he said was it was sold and he had lots of calls. That was it.

I think as most people think that it's shocking after all that you are just flipping it.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Where's the popcorn?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

That's right, I saw this truck for sale in the Registry.

And the seller was too lazy to take his own pictures of the truck and to rewrite the crap ad copy. Looks like a Nigerian Scam.

How can the truck be purchased from a reseller in the UK, offered for sale in the US, and still be advertised as having 1 (or Zero) previous owners?

Boggles the mind on so many levels.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
All is fair in love and Rovers if you ask me...
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
That's right, I saw this truck for sale in the Registry.

And the seller was too lazy to take his own pictures of the truck and to rewrite the crap ad copy. Looks like a Nigerian Scam.

How can the truck be purchased from a reseller in the UK, offered for sale in the US, and still be advertised as having 1 (or Zero) previous owners?

Boggles the mind on so many levels.
Hey, to be honest the original pix and description did a good enough job convincing me to buy it so I decided to use them again. No more sinister than that bro.

In fairness i added pix of the interior and tires cause I thought they were appropriate. And I left the reference of one owner because that's the way I think of it. I'm not using it as a driver and bought specifically to sell like others I've bought so I call that one owner.

Can you help me understand why this all makes you so angry? I haven't figured out yet what im doing wrong. If you don't mind just spell it out real simple so I can understand why you are so angry that I've bought a few nice Rovers for resell? Hopefully you can teach me something I don't fully understand.

Clay

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:

In fairness i added pix of the interior and tires cause I thought they were appropriate.

Clay
Very nice example indeed, but are door cards and tire photos more appropriate than those of the chassis, bulkhead and doorbottoms? GLWS
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Very nice example indeed, but are door cards and tire photos more appropriate than those of the chassis, bulkhead and doorbottoms? GLWS
Very fair point. I usually take them to a buddy's shop and put them up on his lift so I can have some room to take decent pix. I was there Saturday to do such but he was so slammed with work the opportunity never materialized. Hopefully I'll get some today or tomorrow.

Clay
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i may have missed it.... but how much is the defender 110 now that it is on US soil?
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
i may have missed it.... but how much is the defender 110 now that it is on US soil?
Keith, this one is currently being auctioned through ebay.

Clay

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:54 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
$45,000 firm on landroverexchange.com
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Since I'm always the level-headed one here, I could understand a little bit of both sides here. Hey, at least he didn't request to stay anonymous as the purchaser from the beginning, like some members here, right? I think I may also be the only one here who has met both of you in person?

-Barry wanted/wants an original 1980's truck in all its 1980's poop-brown interior amazingness.
-He and Clay have been sexting for months due to their mutual love of Defenders, and some mutual Defender experiences.
-Barry found an original 80s truck, but the problem was that a ton of other people did as well - I think we'll all agree it was very well advertised (for the 10 minutes it was online).
-In the 2 minutes it took Clay to hit the BIN button, a ton of other people could have done the same. In the words of the do-no-wrong Chris Snell, "you have to know by now that if you want something you have to act fast." Just saying...you want something...you buy it. Don't tell your friends...just buy it.
-Barry saw the opportunity to purchase a nice original 110, while Clay saw a nice opportunity to make money - I guess the discrepancy here is if Clay said he also saw the opportunity to collect a nice original 110 as well, but was really just a nice opportunity to make money. I personally don't see much potential in this truck, as it was already priced pretty damn high, and it'll take a very special buyer to pay $45k for a RHD super original truck - probably someone just like Barry, but who wants to pay twice as much for it.
-I know I've held back from buying something before because another member has said they were interested in it...only to have that member not execute the purchase and say "it went above my budget" even though I was willing to pay more. I can honestly say that unless I really know the guy really well, I'm not so sure in the future I'd hold back again. Because the BIN button was hit in this case, the scenario doesn't necessarily apply, but you get my point - Clay may or may not have seen Barry's e-mail or text saying that he wanted the truck - not getting into that. When Clay saw it, it was still for sale, and Clay wanted it...so he bought it.
-For all Clay knew, Barry could have said he wanted it, but was waiting for pictures of all of the original stickers under the hood before he'd actually hit the BIN button...while some other John Doe #3 hit the BIN button and both Barry AND Clay are out of a truck. Then, Clay's kids all end up going to community college because he didn't get to buy this truck, and Barry must wait another 4 months to scope out a beautiful/original 110.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
"Then, Clay's kids all end up going to community college because he didn't get to buy this truck"

Josh, thanks, I think you pretty much nailed it. I certainly didn't buy in spite and I've said before I know the proof is there that can show i hit BIN before I accessed any messages but I'm not about to go through that whole process. Great sense of humor BTW. This is what keeps this shit fun. If you guys could only see how my kid's eyes roll when I bring these Rovers home you'd be laughing your asses off like i am.

Clay

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
end up going to community college.
i resent this! not really community college - but state school.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
"Then, Clay's kids all end up going to community college because he didn't get to buy this truck"

That's is spot on. Great humor like this keeps pulling me back in and making this shit fun. If you could only see my kid's rolling eyes when I bring these Rovers home you'd be laughing you ass off like i am right now.

Clay
All joking aside, Barry is actually looking for a nice original 110 example. He's looking all over the place - probably most of the same places you do, but if you DO see another nice example that you don't need to make money on, pass the info along to him. We're all here help drive Defender ownership, and Barry's intentions are good.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
All joking aside, Barry is actually looking for a nice original 110 example. He's looking all over the place - probably most of the same places you do, but if you DO see another nice example that you don't need to make money on, pass the info along to him. We're all here help drive Defender ownership, and Barry's intentions are good.
absolutely, i agree.

Old April 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Can you help me understand why this all makes you so angry? I haven't figured out yet what im doing wrong. If you don't mind just spell it out real simple so I can understand why you are so angry that I've bought a few nice Rovers for resell? Hopefully you can teach me something I don't fully understand.
Clay
First let me say I do not know you Clay or Barry other than your posts on this site, but from what I have seen this is my observation.

Maybe it is the fact that the way you are operating comes across as deceptive douchebaggery akin to a dirt bag used car salesman that will say anything or do anything to make a buck?

When everything went down in your registry you said that you purchased it for yourself to keep in your collection and that you were not planning to sell it and in this thread you say.

Quote:
Ha! You guys are tough.

To be totally honest I've found it fun to pick up the trucks i've come across and reselling them. No more complicated than that. It is starting to help me put a kid through college and prepaying tuition for my next two but I certainly can't make a living doing it.

Clay
So why not just be honest and forthright from the beginning? You saw a chance to flip a truck and make some money why say that you purchased it to keep in your personal collection? When Barry offered to buy it you said no it is not going to be for sale why not just tell him that you were going to flip it for XXX amount and if he wanted to purchase it great if not then too bad?

Additionally the way you use the registry as your own personal auto trader just seems wrong for some reason, seems it should be there for people to share their personal vehicles but you use it to get the publicity and the free ad space and delete anything you do not want others to see.

You never post a truck for sale on this site but every time someone posts a wanted ad you jump in offer your trucks, nothing wrong with that just comes across as deceptive like you are trying to avoid listing an Ad, Price or info and just want to stay in the shadows.

All of this just adds up to a general feeling that you are not a member of the community and just a dirtbag car salesman trying make a buck.

Act like a dirtbag used car salesman = get treated like a dirtbag used car salesman
Act like a member of the community = get treated like a member of the community

There are several people in car sales that are on this site that are standup members of the community and you could learn a thing or two from them… that is if you want to be that kind of guy
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also need to be careful with flipping cars. In PA you are limited to 3 a year before you have to get a dealer license and you may have tax issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, ebay