Magnaflow Cat Back: $466 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old October 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Magnaflow catback arrived yesterday, its been raining cats/dogs up ere in the mountains.. ive yet to open the package...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Magnaflow catback arrived yesterday, its been raining cats/dogs up ere in the mountains.. ive yet to open the package...
Looking forward to your thoughts, I need to replace mine as well.
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Update; I easily remove the old flange bolt/nuts and the old muffler and tailpipe. Tail to muffler bolts were pretty fused together by rust, so I just cut the tailpipe assembly to finally enable dropping the old pipes off.
According to instructions I installed the muffler first using anti seize on the flange bolts, but left it loose so that the tail pipe assembly could be wrangled in from center out to tail. One problem I have encountered is that the hanger stem on the tailpipe seems to be not high enough to reach the rear rubber hanger. Also a bit of a pain to position/couple both assemblies together alone on your back. Not sure if my rear hanger assembly is standard, so I ordered one from RN to see. Otherwise might heat/torch the hanger arm and bend it out, as the rear tailpipe is hitting the rear cross when I try to reach the hanger. Oh, a jack might be useful to hold the weight of the muffler while working which I will try today. 2hrs of work so far and a little frustrated by PIA in the most simple to assemble things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Update; 30 mnts to get it mounted today. My sequence- feed tailpipe center to rear- let sit-mount muffler to center hanger-let dangle- position rear tailpipe-tie off with rope to bumper- connect muffler to tailpipe (use anti seize at coupling and bolts-do not tighten- connect flange to muffler -not tightened- raise tailpipe insert rubber hanger on tailpipe arm first, use heavy screwdriver to leverage rubber hanger unto hanger mount- make sure all is in position as desired- tighten flange/muffler bolts/nuts to specs (30lbs)- tighten muffler to tailpipe collar (60lbs)- disconnect battery and reconnect (reset comp) and done.

Note: my scorpion bumps made the tailpipe hanging a little harder. pi
pe is in a good position-not bad clearance- sound is good not loud-maybe a tinge over stock but not unpleasant at all-passed the wife test thumbs up. Truck seems to pull uphill a little better, overall pretty happy with this set up.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Update; 30 mnts to get it mounted today. My sequence- feed tailpipe center to rear- let sit-mount muffler to center hanger-let dangle- position rear tailpipe-tie off with rope to bumper- connect muffler to tailpipe (use anti seize at coupling and bolts-do not tighten- connect flange to muffler -not tightened- raise tailpipe insert rubber hanger on tailpipe arm first, use heavy screwdriver to leverage rubber hanger unto hanger mount- make sure all is in position as desired- tighten flange/muffler bolts/nuts to specs (30lbs)- tighten muffler to tailpipe collar (60lbs)- disconnect battery and reconnect (reset comp) and done.

Note: my scorpion bumps made the tailpipe hanging a little harder. pi
pe is in a good position-not bad clearance- sound is good not loud-maybe a tinge over stock but not unpleasant at all-passed the wife test thumbs up. Truck seems to pull uphill a little better, overall pretty happy with this set up.
Great to hear. Post some photos up if you get a chance!

-ken
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
will do!
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
here are some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	195
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	22484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 7.png
Views:	196
Size:	640.7 KB
ID:	22485  

Name:	Picture 8.png
Views:	194
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	22486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 6.png
Views:	213
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	22487  

Name:	Picture 5.png
Views:	179
Size:	694.1 KB
ID:	22488  
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

whenever I sell a car I spray lots of that undercoating stuff all over too. Just kidding, nice work, feels good to do it yourself.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Ive been a waxoil addict for 10 years ..
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
here are some pics..
Cool thanks!! My worries is the tail pipe getting hit/smashed while offroading, I know my stock one has bit hit a couple times.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

this deal is still good with performance peddler. I have no affiliation with them, but they definitely have the best price. The issue may be that they (and every other reseller) can't get the part because magnaflow had no inventory of the cat back component in stock. I bought both the y pipe and the cat back through them after waiting for magnaflow to come though with the part.

No one else who had the part in stock was willing to match the deal. I was in no hurry. Shipping was quick, customer service was good.

Just thought I'd comment since it was a good experience.
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
voltundra
Justin
1994 D90 ST #1039

FYI - Just ordered the cats and exhaust from Performance Peddler for $818.29 shipped. Was one-click away from ordering the Borla from AB until I read this thread. This has to be a great deal!
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

cat back $436.63

Not only is this deal still good...it's better than what Bozman orignally posted. Ordered mine last night...$436.63 shipped!!!
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats a ripoff IMO, I had that exact muffler and a tailpipe for less than 250. I dont see the reason to put that much in an exhaust ive smashed up three.....

Ive always liked the Borla though.....
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
where did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
thats a ripoff IMO, I had that exact muffler and a tailpipe for less than 250.
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That muffler can be had from Summit Racing and any exhaust shop can make you a tailpipe. They might even have a book full of fancy tips to choose from.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14326/?rtype=10
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
jbarks1
John B
1995 Defender 90

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to let members know I just threw a Magna Flow Catback on my 1995 Defender 90 today due to reading this thread. I purchased it and had it installed in downtown San Diego for a grand total of $499.96! $350 for the muffler and pipe, $150 for the install. My good karma is finally coming back to me! Great independent shop too. Thanks Bob!

I was almost a little worried at the low price, but it looks and sounds perfect. It's mean and loud enough to turn heads if you want it to, but discreet enough to not be entirely obnoxious if you don't want to command attention. It's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I'm having Bob put on some EBC Greenstuff brakes on all four corners next week along with some AB stainless braided brake lines.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
ac