Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old June 19th, 2015, 12:05 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
As for many reputable forums ( ie firearm forums ) members flipping multitude of items must become industry partners

They are held to standards and rules, furthermore, multiple proven accusations of wrong doing end up with a ban
This and this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
horsey, how about we stop the double standard and hold everyone accountable under the same regulations?
Not sure what you're referring to, but sure. Have you reported something we've missed?
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Not sure what you're referring to, but sure. Have you reported something we've missed?
Horsey, ( man if I didn't like you I will have a field day )

No I did not report anything , where I come from there is an education time where we are told

" bitches get stitches and snitches end up in ditches "

So reporting or acting like a bitch is not something I remotely consider

HOWEVER

You the the Site Time should hold everyone accountable to the same standards in regards to violations

So if you ban someone for being annoying , loud mouth, a wanker not following YOUR RULES, why the fuck don't you ban someone that repeatedly doesn't follow the rules selling a vehicle?

Maybe the Power Team should spend some quality time coming up with an enforcing policy all around instead of spending time organizing revenge when they get butt hurt

( Devin sorry you are caught as an example )
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2015, 09:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
where I come from
I'm still wondering where the hell that was. Haha

Quote:
So if you ban someone for being annoying, loud mouth, a wanker
Man I wish we could ban anyone we found annoying, but that's just not how it works. I can't even think of anyone (aside from some spam accounts) who's been banned since Chapman.
Old June 19th, 2015, 10:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Your memory is better than that...

Bill Cocks.

-Jeff
I knew there had to be someone! That must be the one Goose is talking about.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

This is a highly entertaining thread, and clearly most of the people who have answered back and forth are - shall we say - "experienced" forum members (more than 5,000 posts on average... wow!). Now... here's the funny thing: Most people who would benefit from a standard and rules around For Sale Vehicles are *not* the very experienced members, because presumably those guys would know how to do their due diligence, who to stay away from and what to look for when buying a truck. New members (and I still count myself as new given that i have driven my defender exactly twice since i bought it and after have spent over a year in the restoration process) in general have no idea what to look for. Of course there are some very savvy car people getting into defenders, but we don't really know common problem areas, issues with modifications, etc. And we certainly don't know who is a "suspicious" character.

So, here's a simple suggestion (and if anyone doesn't like it and wants to write profanity back at me, that's perfectly fine, i'm not easily offended): Anyone who lists more than a certain number of vehicles in a time period (v.g. 4 per year, or one per quarter, but unsure what the right number is) is deemed a "Dealer." Create then a "Dealer Review Forum" where past customers - and only past customers (i.e., opinions and rumors from non-related third parties not allowed) - can review and rank the transaction (was the vehicle as described, was the person easy to deal with, etc.). That gives an opportunity to both buyers and sellers to describe their experience and, if that would be the case, defend themselves.

My suggestion only works if the transaction volume is high enough (and I have no clue how many vehicles actually change hands from forum member to forum member vs. how many are sold in other ways after they are advertised here), but otherwise it works because it makes the community self-policing. If anyone is a bad seller and decides to misrepresent the state of a vehicle, then the truth will come out. If someone decides not to post pictures for whatever reason, but then treats the other party with respect and describes the vehicle adequately, then (s)he gets high marks.

I know this is possible in the forum today, but it would require countless hours reading many threads and it would be biased by people who were not involved in the transaction and like/dislike one another (and there's a lot of that going on!). If all the rankings were centralized, then it would really facilitate figuring out who can and cannot be trusted AND would save the moderators the hassle of verifying every add and policing non compliance.

Just a suggestion.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I knew there had to be someone! That must be the one Goose is talking about.
Let us not forget Big Dick Manatoba.
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Let us not forget Big Dick Manatoba.
Ha oh crap I forgot about him too. I considered him spam though...
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:49 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
This is a highly entertaining thread, and clearly most of the people who have answered back and forth are - shall we say - "experienced" forum members (more than 5,000 posts on average... wow!). Now... here's the funny thing: Most people who would benefit from a standard and rules around For Sale Vehicles are *not* the very experienced members, because presumably those guys would know how to do their due diligence, who to stay away from and what to look for when buying a truck. New members (and I still count myself as new given that i have driven my defender exactly twice since i bought it and after have spent over a year in the restoration process) in general have no idea what to look for. Of course there are some very savvy car people getting into defenders, but we don't really know common problem areas, issues with modifications, etc. And we certainly don't know who is a "suspicious" character. So, here's a simple suggestion (and if anyone doesn't like it and wants to write profanity back at me, that's perfectly fine, i'm not easily offended): Anyone who lists more than a certain number of vehicles in a time period (v.g. 4 per year, or one per quarter, but unsure what the right number is) is deemed a "Dealer." Create then a "Dealer Review Forum" where past customers - and only past customers (i.e., opinions and rumors from non-related third parties not allowed) - can review and rank the transaction (was the vehicle as described, was the person easy to deal with, etc.). That gives an opportunity to both buyers and sellers to describe their experience and, if that would be the case, defend themselves. My suggestion only works if the transaction volume is high enough (and I have no clue how many vehicles actually change hands from forum member to forum member vs. how many are sold in other ways after they are advertised here), but otherwise it works because it makes the community self-policing. If anyone is a bad seller and decides to misrepresent the state of a vehicle, then the truth will come out. If someone decides not to post pictures for whatever reason, but then treats the other party with respect and describes the vehicle adequately, then (s)he gets high marks. I know this is possible in the forum today, but it would require countless hours reading many threads and it would be biased by people who were not involved in the transaction and like/dislike one another (and there's a lot of that going on!). If all the rankings were centralized, then it would really facilitate figuring out who can and cannot be trusted AND would save the moderators the hassle of verifying every add and policing non compliance. Just a suggestion.
No offense but adding rules as we've been talking about (including myself) would probably do more harm than good. Wag more, bark less as they say. Falling down and scraping a knee or two isn't the end of the world. I can say this from personal experience. I feel newbies can come up through the system the same way the rest of us have and I guarantee you it won't be the end of the world. Come to think of it why do we want a ton of newbies that haven't learned along the way? Let nature take its course. I think the barking from the cheap seats is merely a way for those guys to flaunt their knowledge. If they would turn it slightly towards helpful advice aimed at the buyer, rather than wrath against the seller, all would learn and move on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 19th, 2015, 01:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Or making it super easy, vehicles for sale thread don't show until an admin allows it. Lots of forums do that for items.
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:51 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Or making it super easy, vehicles for sale thread don't show until an admin allows it. Lots of forums do that for items.
If the forum requires that a full list of criteria be posted with the listing, this is the way to go. Good suggestion.

That said I also agree with Uncle D the peanut gallery can be overwhelming. I would never post for sale here. I also wouldn't break the forum rules with a stub of a post to have my cake and eat it too - that's just disrespectful and skirting the rules. Our society is plagued with the "let me see what I can get away with" disease. That's what happens when the world is run by lawyers. The OP should either get his post updated, or the listing should be deleted.
Old June 20th, 2015, 09:10 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Moved to flea market. Probably should have been misc-chit chat but there appears to be a vague suggestion that something might be for sale.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:49 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Deposit taken.

Thank you for everyone' s interest here. I will have three more LHD diesels (2.5 na's) and one LHD V8 110 here in the coming weeks. Let me know if there is interest. Thanks.
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM
paul and Judson
Paul Star
1972 Series III 88, 1967 Series IIa

Please keep me informed on LHD Defenders 110 you have coming in. I am still in the market. Congrats on your sale.

Paul

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, ac, lhd