Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old June 18th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Matthew as usual your quote and post are incongruent
My comment has nothing to due with disclosure or legitimacy.

I said I understand the decision many make to not post here @ all.

There is typically a group that comments negatively on everything and add no value.

When I said forum members I was referring to individuals here who won't post their own personal trucks here.
IMO it speaks volumes when an individual member here wont post his truck here because of the level of asinine comments
and pile on effect the moderators allow contrary to posted rules.

Moderators choose to enforce rules in some parts of this forum and allow melee's in others.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2015, 08:40 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Matthew as usual your quote and post are incongruent
My comment has nothing to due with disclosure or legitimacy.

I said I understand the decision many make tonot post here @ all.

There is typically a group that comments negatively on everything and add no value.

When I said forum members I was referring to individuals here who won't post their own personal trucks here.

Moderators choose to enforce rules in some parts of this forum and allow melee's in others.
Makes sense. My comment before should be a mud pit misc post. Feel free to delete or move it mods. It's so easy to get sucked in once it starts.
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:05 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

Doug (and everyone) you are all welcome to report anything in any thread at any given time and all moderators will receive the message for review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2015, 10:48 AM
paul and Judson
Paul Star
1972 Series III 88, 1967 Series IIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110fender View Post
I have a beautiful 110, lhd with a solid running 2.5 na. Fresh paint and mechanically superb. Nicest I've owned by far. $28k. PM me for details. Thanks.
PM sent. I would like details
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:14 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Q: Would it make sense to implement a top 10 list?

A list of the 10 questions that sellers should answer?

Maybe not a requirement to post but a recommendation. That way if someone chooses not to participate one can pass their own judgment with some base to launch from.

Old June 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Q: Would it make sense to implement a top 10 list?

A list of the 10 questions that sellers should answer?

Maybe not a requirement to post but a recommendation. That way if someone chooses not to participate one can pass their own judgment with some base to launch from.
I had started to put one together with input by anyone who wanted to participate, and it was to be for both buyers and sellers. I think there's a response or two in there from you.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...les-51868.html
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:50 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yeah, I thought that list didn't really provide much in terms of added value to the forum.

If I were buying a Land Rover from a stranger I would want to know stuff like...

How long have you owned it?
How often is it driven?
Who drives it most often?
Is it driven on a regular basis?
Why are you selling it?
Who did you buy it from?
How many miles has it been driven in the past 12 months?
What fluids are regularly changed and how often? Any receipts or records?
What filters have been regularly changed and how often? Any receipts or records?
Has it ever had any body damage repaired?
Has it ever overheated? What was wrong?
Does it run warm in stop and go conditions?
What's the longest trip you've taken it on in the past 12 months?

This is not a comprehensive list but it's the type of stuff I like to know about Land Rovers and the seller.

Old June 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, I thought that list didn't really provide much in terms of added value to the forum.

If I were buying a Land Rover from a stranger I would want to know stuff like...

How long have you owned it?
How often is it driven?
Who drives it most often?
Is it driven on a regular basis?
Why are you selling it?
Who did you buy it from?
How many miles has it been driven in the past 12 months?
What fluids are regularly changed and how often? Any receipts or records?
What filters have been regularly changed and how often? Any receipts or records?
Has it ever had any body damage repaired?
Has it ever overheated? What was wrong?
Does it run warm in stop and go conditions?
What's the longest trip you've taken it on in the past 12 months?

This is not a comprehensive list but it's the type of stuff I like to know about Land Rovers and the seller.
Great addition for you to submit in the other thread
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Great addition for you to submit in the other thread
will do.

Old June 18th, 2015, 03:09 PM
IGB
Steve
1997 ST

Old June 18th, 2015, 03:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I don't blame the guy for taking advantage. He isn't the first one selling a truck to skirt around to do it. Horsey you just need to use your massive power to close the loop hole.

Come up with a list of things that are a must for a transaction and if the user is not a vendor but sells more than say X trucks in a time frame they are considered a dealer so they have to give even more information.

On Defender2.net if you don't have a certain amount of posts you can't even list things for sale.

We don't need to know the reason for sale just facts and pictures. It is the buyers responsibility to have a truck inspected no matter how nice the pictures are. We are here to help obviously so a buyer doesn't get sucked in.

This ad is similar to someone trying to sell something off ebay but then sell it outside the system to save on fees.

And no matter what every ad must say how rare the defender is.
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGB View Post
Seriously Devin. Let's just cut to the chase here. This is you:

"Both had worked for the family-operated Interactive Financial Marketing Group, a Richmond-based company that generates sales leads, mainly through the Internet, for car dealers. The company was sold in 2007 to Norfolk-based Dominion Enterprises."

You sell wall stickers, sell baby strollers, sell dog treats, and sell internet leads for cars all from the same address in Richmond, Va. PTank Investments. This is all easily verifiable from a 2 minute Google search.

And you are using this site to make money, by falsely implying some connection to these cars.

Come on. Have some respect for this site. Please?

I was going to let this die whole thread because it is a colossal waste of time but this is 1000% inappropriate. Not only that, you (and everyone else here) have 0 idea what you are talking about regarding who I am and what I do, the companies we have built and sold, currently own etc. Are you inferring that I don't own these trucks? You may want to take more than your '2 minute Google' search as well as get a friggin' life to sit around and run a Google search on me. It's pathetic and you do make this personal which crosses a line. I truly pity you. Seriously.

You people are bent that I post a car for sale, that I own, without an image? But I post trucks with images, details etc but because I am for profit and let the market / capitalism work and dictate price, like I did on the two NAS 90s, that makes me dishonest and the target of most of this nonsense on this thread(s)? It's amazing that most of the darts thrown here are by the same handful of folks....legends in their own minds who don't have the risk (and most likely capital) to buy a truck and sell it for a profit. What's even more interesting, and telling of the people with real lives and jobs who understand how the world turns, is the number of people on the baord who have PM-ed me regarding this truck who I have actually spoken to on the phone whose first comment is how stupid and idiotic a handful of the common posters here actually are. There are many more PMs and calls on this end of the spectrum than there are here with people throwing fits because, what, I make a few bucks on the side selling trucks? You all should be so lucky to do what you actually enjoy and make a good living (almost) doing it as a hobby.

Regardless, a number of you need to get a grip on life and what is actually important. I would think your wives, kids, fathers, mothers would be ashamed of how some of you act here and the comments some of you make. Coming at me for offering trucks on a message board doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as well as a giant waste of time. If you are interested in the truck, great. If you are not, you can just move on. But to have some silly two page long thread and then have this clown, IGB, come after me on a personal level is completely wrong and inappropriate. I would hope even you people that post 25 times a day inserting your 2 cents everywhere you can would agree on that.

Yes, I am going to continue to post trucks here. I've sold some to folks on the board and they have been happy with whet they got. I'll put up a few pictures like I have in all my other offerings with descriptions. If you have questions or interest, great, I'm more than happy to indulge. Otherwise, move on. More importantly, I would urge you all to keep some perspective on your priorities and what is actually important in life.
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:25 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Better to be thought a fool in silence than to open your mouth and prove everyone right.
There are valid points on both sides of this issue. And Devin, yes, the personal attacks on you and your character are uncalled for. Though we may disagree on words like "immaculate," I have come to know you as a reasonable, stand-up guy. And yes, many can (and should) move on if the for-sale thread doesn't meet their personal criteria.

However, the forum under which you engage in your for-profit hobby does so with both a set of rules and a code of conduct, which you chose to ignore regarding this vehicle. The capitalism you rightly defend for flipping these rovers here is made possible in large part by the site's reputation as a group that genuinely cares about the trucks and their owners. That reputation is built by both the moderators and the members, some of whom rarely post and those who constantly post. This sense of community - regardless of post count - is fostered by such rules and conduct, along with a healthy does of expertise and on occasion, humor.
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:49 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Wow, well said.

Sorry, I have one more suggestion. Why not enforce this section for owners (maybe require sellers to state dates their trucks were titled in their name) and all others use the Vendors loft?

Old June 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Clay,

Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to start with you but you sure have a lot of suggestions for a guy who used his registry to sell trucks.

As for titling who cares. The issue isn't with someone wanting to make money. I am all for it. I think we all agree we are here to help and don't want people to be ripped off so the pics really help us help some of the people that aren't in the know.

Favorite Line:
It's amazing that most of the darts thrown here are by the same handful of folks....legends in their own minds who don't have the risk (and most likely capital) to buy a truck and sell it for a profit.

Love when sellers get pissy because they are called out and they respond by saying we can't afford to sell turds.
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:58 PM
kysleddogs
c.w.
None

How about for sale threads that won't allow anyone else except seller to post in it. Make all questions after original post go thru PM's instead?
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysleddogs View Post
How about for sale threads that won't allow anyone else except seller to post in it. Make all questions after original post go thru PM's instead?
How would anyone but the seller benefit?
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:18 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Clay, Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to start with you but you sure have a lot of suggestions for a guy who used his registry to sell trucks. As for titling who cares. The issue isn't with someone wanting to make money. I am all for it. I think we all agree we are here to help and don't want people to be ripped off so the pics really help us help some of the people that aren't in the know. Favorite Line: It's amazing that most of the darts thrown here are by the same handful of folks....legends in their own minds who don't have the risk (and most likely capital) to buy a truck and sell it for a profit. Love when sellers get pissy because they are called out and they respond by saying we can't afford to sell turds.
Funny, I could feel this coming. Good hearing from you Barry. It's been too long.

Fair question. My two suggestions, I feel, are genuine. True, I bought and sold about 12 trucks back when the margins were healthy and fewer people were willing to take the risk. Oddly enough I never sold to a board member though. The buyers here never warmed up to my asking prices. It was exciting at the time but the formula and margins have grown boring to me so I don't do it much anymore.

I guess I was reading all this drama differently than others. I thought all the crying was really about flippers vs. enthusiasts. My two suggestions were geared towards managing that aspect a bit. Let the flippers, like I was, sell in the Vendors Loft and the enthusiasts sell in the regular section. Im cool with it either way cause I can ask all my own questions and do my own due diligence. I don't need rules that should be obvious to a buyer.

Old June 18th, 2015, 07:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Funny, I could feel this coming. Good hearing from you Barry. It's been too long.

Fair question. My two suggestions, I feel, are genuine. True, I bought and sold about 12 trucks back when the margins were healthy and fewer people were willing to take the risk. Oddly enough I never sold to a board member though. The buyers here never warmed up to my asking prices. It was exciting at the time but the formula and margins have grown boring to me so I don't do it much anymore.

I guess I was reading all this drama differently than others. I thought all the crying was really about flippers vs. enthusiasts. My two suggestions were geared towards managing that aspect a bit. Let the flippers, like I was, sell in the Vendors Loft and the enthusiasts sell in the regular section. I'm cool with it either way cause I can ask all my own questions and do my own due diligence. I don't need rules that should be obvious to a buyer.
Fair enough. I am all for people making money and if you can do it while supporting your hobby than that's good too. The problem I see is that the defender market is growing and so is the group who feel they can make a quick buck. I'm not going to sit here and say people shouldn't flip because this is a community blah blah blah. All I want is people to accurately describe their items and provide pictures so that questions can be asked and buyers who are less knowledgeable are protected.

I will not shit on peoples for sale ads but when a seller who is a dealer just says my truck is great, PM me and I will tell you, it sounds sketchy. Save those ads for craigslist. If the truck was really great and a good buy he would post it here.

If you are accurate in describing what you are selling then there is nothing to nitpick other than price.
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Doug (and everyone) you are all welcome to report anything in any thread at any given time and all moderators will receive the message for review.
horsey, how about we stop the double standard and hold everyone accountable under the same regulations?

A fair deal that will not require our input/task to become a forum snitch

As for many reputable forums ( ie firearm forums ) members flipping multitude of items must become industry partners

They are held to standards and rules, furthermore, multiple proven accusations of wrong doing end up with a ban

The beauty also is help profitwise to forum ownership, where these IP must pay a membership

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, ac, lhd