Himalaya on Ebay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 1st, 2014, 11:03 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Himalaya on Ebay

Was doing my nightly hunt and came across a Himalaya on eBay, anyway thought some would enjoy it and I know some won't.

http://bit.ly/PgI0QN
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2014, 11:24 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Yeah, it's already been posted twice today. It was a really, really nice white SW before they got hold of it!
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:38 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

The hate for these things is getting a little old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
This community is comprised of NAS defender purists. We appreciate Defenders for what they are. We appreciate them for their purity and ruggedness. Himalaya is the exact opposite of what a defender is supposed to be. I appreciate their work because it is very detailed, but if you want a Himalaya, then just go buy a Range Rover.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

DO NOT any under circumstance buy a Himalayn. I know first hand that they are the biggest pieces of shit i've ever seen. I sat in one, I got underneath it, I took pieces of it apart by hand, i've heard it rattle, i've seen the doors not close together to form a proper seal, i've watched only one head light turn on. I wouldnt be so passionate about it if I didn't have a friend buy one and have it spend it's first months at a proper LR shop trying to make it run.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Yeah, it's already been posted twice today. It was a really, really nice white SW before they got hold of it!
Yeah it was literally the thread just below this one.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47819

Thread moved from For Sale Vehicles to Flea Market since this is not your truck for sale.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silby32 View Post
DO NOT any under circumstance buy a Himalayn. I know first hand that they are the biggest pieces of shit i've ever seen. I sat in one, I got underneath it, I took pieces of it apart by hand, i've heard it rattle, i've seen the doors not close together to form a proper seal, i've watched only one head light turn on. I wouldnt be so passionate about it if I didn't have a friend buy one and have it spend it's first months at a proper LR shop trying to make it run.
Rattling, doors not sealing, and faulty electronics, in a Defender!?! Say it ain't so!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:15 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Rattling, doors not sealing, and faulty electronics, in a Defender!?! Say it ain't so!
Lol my thoughts exactly
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z.g View Post
rattling, doors not sealing, and faulty electronics, in a defender!?! Say it ain't so!
baaazinga!!!!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Did you spend $100k+ for yours? Hell, at that price, the thing better be flawless.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Did you spend $100k+ for yours? Hell, at that price, the thing better be flawless.
it's still a defender
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
They weren't flawless new, even our puma leaks and doesn't seal completely.

Hell it snowed inside my Discovery 2 weeks ago, every door and window was shut.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
it's still a defender
Very true

Quote:
They weren't flawless new, even our puma leaks and doesn't seal completely.
Of course they arent but that is not the same thing. This guy claims to disassemble everything and make it better than new, right? If not, then why spend the money on something as ridiculous as it is?
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post

Of course they arent but that is not the same thing. This guy claims to disassemble everything and make it better than new, right? If not, then why spend the money on something as ridiculous as it is?
Absolutely, but we are taking the word of a user on an online forum. Others that have visited the shop seem to praise the work they're doing. Is it fair to assume the work is shoddy because one person mentioned it? Or that it's amazing because another person mentioned it?

I have seen a number of restored Defenders and yet to find one without issues. To call Mark's(or Aaron's) work unacceptable because of a few normal issues that most any Defender has is unfortunate.

People spend $100k+ because that's what it costs to get a "new" legal Defender.

I will stick with my Disco 2 that falls apart as I drive
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Taste aside regarding wheels and paint, if I spend that much on a defender I would expect it to have new style doors, a true td5 dash and hell power windows. It seems insane that they would spend money on an updated grill but won't spring for the newer style rear door or a real td5 dash. The original 97 door is trash even with a mantec. I bet with the weight of that ghetto sled wheel it will crack.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
As the saying goes, there is an ass for every seat, even at that price. Kudos to Himalaya if Mark can profit a sweet $60-70k (?) on a D-90. And you know whoever purchases this will not know jack about Defenders, TD5 dashes, new style doors, etc.. So who really cares?
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
As the saying goes, there is an ass for every seat, even at that price. Kudos to Himalaya if Mark can profit a sweet $60-70k (?) on a D-90. And you know whoever purchases this will not know jack about Defenders, TD5 dashes, new style doors, etc.. So who really cares?
So if they don't know jack you might as well cut corners?
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I think it comes down to buyer beware...do the research, and don't be a victim. From what I've seen (admittedly little) Mark does good stuff. I wish he'd publish some of his techniques and mods...but oh well...
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I think it comes down to buyer beware...do the research, and don't be a victim. From what I've seen (admittedly little) Mark does good stuff. I wish he'd publish some of his techniques and mods...but oh well...
This seems to be a statement that was made in the past about one of the creators of this truck. That thread was removed.

Do you say the same buyer beware statement about Copley or ecr? To me when spending top dollar I want to be able to rely on the reputation of the seller and not have to worry. Now I have no clue what is said by current owners of these trucks or what their actual quality is. I just am looking at the build and what I see as issues for the money.

No buyer is asking me for my opinion on this but we are on a forum with purists so it's a discussion.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Taste aside regarding wheels and paint, if I spend that much on a defender I would expect it to have new style doors, a true td5 dash and hell power windows. It seems insane that they would spend money on an updated grill but won't spring for the newer style rear door or a real td5 dash. The original 97 door is trash even with a mantec. I bet with the weight of that ghetto sled wheel it will crack.
I have a 97SW rear door that's holding up real well. The original owner had the seams sealed which has probably helped a lot but what I did is I've removed the lugs on the tire carrier so I can push the wheel back as far as possible. I figure this reduces the leverage and therefore stress typically put on the frame. Seems to work so far as even my smallest kids have all been able to open the rear door and climb in with no assistance. Just my two cents in rear door tricks.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-823450305.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	92284  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market