Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:52 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco 45 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks Must have gotten a deal on grey paint. Things noticed: -not a real td5 dash -no high back rear seats -used unrestored brake master and brake booster with rusty bolt -bracket missing on radiator overflow tank -Paint on bottom of hood doesn't have the same finish as the exterior But what the hell the truck is only 6 figures so non of this stuff should matter.
That's great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I totally get where you guys are coming from on disliking it being so extremely modified...it is no longer the vehicle it once was and it's kinda obscene lol... there must be a market for it though and someone is going to be happy with it...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
-used unrestored brake master and brake booster with rusty bolt
Settle down, Matlock. That's because the bracket that holds the brake booster has the VIN plaque mounted on it. This is as close to the true "soul" of a Defender as you can get. Maintaining the originality of that plate and the bracket on which it mounts is the single most important thing you can do to maintain the authenticity of your VIN. You don't want to paint that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:26 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I totally get where you guys are coming from on disliking it being so extremely modified...it is no longer the vehicle it once was and it's kinda obscene lol... there must be a market for it though and someone is going to be happy with it...
Yeah, it's called athletes and musicians who get paid way too much for their profession and have to find "cool" and "unique" shit to drive that nobody else has. Every Himalaya looks like a modern modification of the Mona Lisa but in a bad way. I just think that the Defender is iconic and classic! The NAS models are so rare that it is like killing a unicorn when one is mutilated by Himalaya. ECR and Copley value the simplicity of the NAS D90.

Someone replied to one of my earlier posts in a different thread and they basically said, to each his own when it comes to customizing your personal D90, but the "customization" that Himalaya does is a travesty to a rare vehicle that only enthusiasts should own! (and hot chicks )
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:34 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Yeah, it's called athletes and musicians who get paid way too much for their profession and have to find "cool" and "unique" shit to drive that nobody else has. Every Himalaya looks like a modern modification of the Mona Lisa but in a bad way. I just think that the Defender is iconic and classic! The NAS models are so rare that it is like killing a unicorn when one is mutilated by Himalaya. ECR and Copley value the simplicity of the NAS D90. Someone replied to one of my earlier posts in a different thread and they basically said, to each his own when it comes to customizing your personal D90, but the "customization" that Himalaya does is a travesty to a rare vehicle that only enthusiasts should own! (and hot chicks )
I bet you hate fake tits as well
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:37 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
I bet you hate fake tits to??
No. I love fake tits! I love stripper dust too! You know what fake tits love? Badass NAS D90's that aren't molested!

Who doesn't like fake tits!?!?!?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:44 PM
eco 45
Scott Oncken
running or non?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Settle down, Matlock. That's because the bracket that holds the brake booster has the VIN plaque mounted on it. This is as close to the true "soul" of a Defender as you can get. Maintaining the originality of that plate and the bracket on which it mounts is the single most important thing you can do to maintain the authenticity of your VIN. You don't want to paint that.
A good paint person can tape off and protect the VIN while restoring the bracket. The booster and mc are bolt on items that could be removed for restoration. Basically a lack of effort for what is being proclaimed as restored.

Sisters, OR
541-550-6300
eco 45 on all forums
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:53 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
I bet you hate fake tits to??
Also, it's too, not to
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Also, it's too, not to
It amazes me that in one breath you say that a NAS is sacred and shouldn't be modified and in the next you are praising a NAS 110 that couldn't be farther from stock? At least the Himalaya retained the original drivetrain, SMH I don't give a shit what ppl do to their trucks bc it's not mine! And it always amazes me when one voices their opinion so strongly over something that doesn't matter. I like the Himalaya trucks, I like NAS, I like when ppl build what they want to build bc I love when the creative juices flow!! Anyway what ever who really gives a shit!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
It amazes me that in one breath you say that a NAS is sacred and shouldn't be modified and in the next you are praising a NAS 110 that couldn't be farther from stock? At least the Himalaya retained the original drivetrain, SMH I don't give a shit what ppl do to their trucks bc it's not mine! And it always amazes me when one voices their opinion so strongly over something that doesn't matter. I like the Himalaya trucks, I like NAS, I like when ppl build what they want to build bc I love when the creative juices flow!! Anyway what ever who really gives a shit!
What he said.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:37 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
YES! The NAS is sacred! It is a one of a kind beauty. Any modifications to my Defenders can be easily returned to stock. When Himalaya gets ahold of them, they can no longer return to stock without spending a small fortune.

I wasn't trying to start shit with you. I just have a knack for being a smart ass. I just wish Himalaya would stay away from NAS's for their builds. I know my opinion doesn't amount to anything but the great thing about a forum/fora is that we get to express these opinions.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

I'm good no worries, no shit here just a little debate, but I would rather replace side panels and a grill over a TD5 any day. Everyone has their preferences, so you would rather them import ROW trucks to modify instead of using a NAS platform? The pedigree of the NAS is what gives the Himalaya brand it's value, the way I see it is that every Himalaya build increases the value of all the other NAS. I really don't care either way, I feel kinda bad cause Aaron busted my balls for starting the thread today in the first place, but the way I see it is that someone would have done it I just don't see the difference between a Himalaya and that RESTORED 110?, in fact the 110 in my eyes is worse bc there are even fewer of them, and to put a TD5 in it?
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:41 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
A good paint person can tape off and protect the VIN while restoring the bracket. The booster and mc are bolt on items that could be removed for restoration. Basically a lack of effort for what is being proclaimed as restored.
I'm not arguing with you that there are things on this truck that could have been refreshed. The brake booster is not one of them. If you mask the plaque and paint the bracket, it can look suspiciously like a VIN swap. I understand why Himalaya left it alone. I did the same on my truck.

/
/
/
/
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

and it''s actually zambezi on the 90 and Indus on the 130, not the same paint
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Quote:
I'm good no worries, no shit here just a little debate, but I would rather replace side panels and a grill over a TD5 any day. Everyone has their preferences, so you would rather them import ROW trucks to modify instead of using a NAS platform? The pedigree of the NAS is what gives the Himalaya brand it's value, the way I see it is that every Himalaya build increases the value of all the other NAS. I really don't care either way, I feel kinda bad cause Aaron busted my balls for starting the thread today in the first place, but the way I see it is that someone would have done it I just don't see the difference between a Himalaya and that RESTORED 110?, in fact the 110 in my eyes is worse bc there are even fewer of them, and to put a TD5 in it?
I think most people had issues with these trucks because they felt Himalaya didn't go the extra mile to justify the price. I've made the same points you make regarding personal preference.

In my opinion, this is not your standard non-NAS or non-stock look bashing thread. Given the price, the interiors leave something to be desired. Otherwise, the trucks seem fine to me, but I know nothing about the build quality or mechanics.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:04 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I find it ironic the purists expect it to have a td5 dash.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
YES! The NAS is sacred! It is a one of a kind beauty. I just have a knack for being a smart ass. I just wish Himalaya would stay away from NAS's for their builds. I know my opinion doesn't amount to anything but the great thing about a forum/fora is that we get to express these opinions.
If you were building a US client a 6 figure truck you would want to use a NAS truck as your starting point so there would be no concerns about the legality of the truck in the clients mind.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
I find it ironic the purists expect it to have a td5 dash.
Nothing to do with being a purist. It has to do with quality and using the best parts available when you are charging what you are charging.

The mud uk dash looks like bolt on crap to give it a faux td5 look. What do I know, I also think the kbx grill is trash and just a poor mans svx grill.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Nothing to do with being a purist. It has to do with quality and using the best parts available when you are charging what you are charging.

The mud uk dash looks like bolt on crap to give it a faux td5 look. What do I know, I also think the kbx grill is trash and just a poor mans svx grill.
The 90 has the real svx front end. It was a super clean 97 not a kick of rust anywhere that's the reason it has original doors. I have over 70 new doors if they have even a pinch of rust I sell them to guys on here.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Rust free doesn't make that rear door worthy of the build you are portraying nor does that dash.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market