GI modular sleeping bags - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old March 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

GI modular sleeping bags

I started shopping for a decent sleeping bag and bivvy set up recently and out of curiousity ended up googling the modular system I used in the army. It turns out this set up is showing up on ebay now as surplus. I bought one right away. It includes a "patrol" weight inner bag, a true cold weather bag and a gore-tex bivvy sack to go over all of it in the worst conditions. It's rated to -40 when combined with poly-pro underwear etc.

I remember falling asleep on the ground at about 7000ft in this system and waking up under several inches of snow; still dry and toasty.

It comes with its own stuff sack, but it's not exactly expedition weight. It's perfect for car-camping where lightweight isn't the primary concern. Anyway, I've linked to a couple that are for sale on ebay right now. I got mine for about $109.00 which is a screaming deal when compared to the civilian versions of a similar set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-pc-Modular-Sle...item5d2cc8cecf

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-pc-Modular-Sle...item5d2dc15943

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%253D&viewitem=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have been using these for years (issued) and it's better than any of my civilian sleeping bags. Highly recommend. The gortex bivvy sack is the bomb.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Dont leave home without it

Agree 100%.

Ive seen them for $50 at Army / Navy stores.

Uncle Sugar issued me one during each of my deployments- youd be hard pressed to find a more capable modular sleep system.

I always have one packed in my Rover- never know when zombies will attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have been using these for years (issued) and it's better than any of my civilian sleeping bags. Highly recommend. The gortex bivvy sack is the bomb.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Love mine, probably one of the best things that the military picked up from the lowest bidder next to the Gen III cold weather gear :D

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

when I ETS'd from Ft. Bragg I told myself I'd get a hold of another one of these... it just took me a decade or so! It's going to be locked in the back of my ST from now on. I bought it to bring on my drive out to CO at the end of the month. For the price of a three season bag from North Face (for example) you get a legit' -40 below stand alone system. It really is brilliant!

Although, on the evidence of the replies here, it seems I'm only preaching to the choir! I should have known you guys would already be onto this.
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its nice how it comes with two stuff sacks these days, so you can really pare down and take just what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I'm sold and on the hunt for four... Thanks Alistar- good stuff for us civi's

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I've got 4 of them total lol, but they are mine all mine

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
mod