EBay scam? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old June 19th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Tomandreann
Tom Johnson
None

EBay scam?

Sorry if this is not the right place for this, still a noob. Anyone think this is a scam or just oversight? VIN comes back as 1984, not 1987:

Land Rover Defender Ninety | eBay

Also, how did he get titled/plated in CA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2016, 11:51 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Probably on the up. If I remember correctly, there is something amiss about EBay's vin recognition. Most older vehicles of our mark don't reference right.
Old June 20th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Tomandreann
Tom Johnson
None

eBay

VIN was looked up in several places, including the .pdf posted on this forum by Will Hedrick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2016, 12:30 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
I'm on my phone, so maybe I'm missing where the seller says it's titled/registered in California. He has a temporary operating permit through July (the "7" in the back window) so my guess would be he is in the process of attempting to get it titled and registered.
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:13 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandreann View Post
Also, how did he get titled/plated in CA?
No plates. Temporary registration. Probably title pending as it's a perfectly legal import, if either year, with original configuration and powertrain.
Old June 20th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Tomandreann
Tom Johnson
None

He has no title, just signed over Italian title, which lists no year of vehicle. He put 1987 on import paperwork. Buyer would be the first to title in US. And risk car crushing due to incorrect VIN. May just be a mistake, but he needs to fix before sticking problem with someone else since he imported it. I don't know where he is getting 1987. He wouldn't/couldn't tell us.
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
He has no title, just signed over Italian title, which lists no year of vehicle. He put 1987 on import paperwork. Buyer would be the first to title in US. And risk car crushing due to incorrect VIN. May just be a mistake, but he needs to fix before sticking problem with someone else since he imported it. I don't know where he is getting 1987. He wouldn't/couldn't tell us.
Did You talk to the seller porsonally?

I say, There is a reason he has no title now. Its because he can't register the vehicle in California at the moment unless he does few miracles..
So he is selling the Vehicle to a buyer who will take the rsesponsablitly of titling it themselves somewhere.

As for the vin number situation.

Don"t mind the Italians, when it comes to paperwork, they are kind of fucked in the head.

This vehicle does show 1983-1984 in its vin number. But In the A.S.I it shows 1987.. The reason it says 1987 in the A.S.I is because it was first registered in Italy in 1987.. The Italians work the other way around..

This is a legit car that was produced in 1983-1984 but was brought to Italy in 1987 and registered in 1987..

The paperwork is all Legal.. But it would make things easier if the original importer titled the vehicle first..

The seller wouldnt/couldnt tell you the reason he didnt know why there is a difference in the Years is because he himself has no clue what the fuck is going on with the way the Italians work.. His agent did all his work probably and that is why most of the people dont have a clue about the paperwork that is involved and what it all means..
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bet he had no idea that diesels can't be registered and used in CA.
This therefore is a panic sale to get it off his hands before July.
Caveat emptor. Everything the seller did to get it here in the documentation will follow the car and cause the buyer problems.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Tomandreann
Tom Johnson
None

Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
Did You talk to the seller porsonally?

I say, There is a reason he has no title now. Its because he can't register the vehicle in California at the moment unless he does few miracles..
So he is selling the Vehicle to a buyer who will take the rsesponsablitly of titling it themselves somewhere.

As for the vin number situation.

Don"t mind the Italians, when it comes to paperwork, they are kind of fucked in the head.

This vehicle does show 1983-1984 in its vin number. But In the A.S.I it shows 1987.. The reason it says 1987 in the A.S.I is because it was first registered in Italy in 1987.. The Italians work the other way around..

This is a legit car that was produced in 1983-1984 but was brought to Italy in 1987 and registered in 1987..

The paperwork is all Legal.. But it would make things easier if the original importer titled the vehicle first..

The seller wouldnt/couldnt tell you the reason he didnt know why there is a difference in the Years is because he himself has no clue what the fuck is going on with the way the Italians work.. His agent did all his work probably and that is why most of the people dont have a clue about the paperwork that is involved and what it all means..
We FaceTimed with seller and he showed us truck. After we decided we liked it, we started talking about VIN problem. If he had given us the info you just did, then we would probably be fine. But he had no clue. Where did you get ASI info? The guy is supposedly originally from Italy where he imports these from, and has no clue about what you just explained about ASI and the way they treat the year they call the vehicle. And it was so easy for us to look up the VIN decoder and deduce it was an '83-84, and he didn't bother, or was trying to cover something up. Beware potential CA buyers!
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
We FaceTimed with seller and he showed us truck. After we decided we liked it, we started talking about VIN problem. If he had given us the info you just did, then we would probably be fine. But he had no clue. Where did you get ASI info? The guy is supposedly originally from Italy where he imports these from, and has no clue about what you just explained about ASI and the way they treat the year they call the vehicle. And it was so easy for us to look up the VIN decoder and deduce it was an '83-84, and he didn't bother, or was trying to cover something up. Beware potential CA buyers!
California buyers are very Anal about the title and the smog issue. They will not buy this vehicle unless it has cali title. Very few here in cali have the balls to drive with different state plates.

Even If he had given you the correct information about the A.S.I, it is still not okay because he still doesn't have a title in hand..
Its better for the buyers to buy a vehicle with a title in hand instead of having to take all the import/customs/etc. paperwork to the DMV and have it titled themselves..

Did he show you any other paperwork other then A.S.I? for example US Customs? Italian Customs? import documents?

The reason the car needs to be titled by the importer is because the States DMV checks to see if the Vin Numbers matches, if it has correct bill of sale from Italy, correct paperwork by US Customs and if maybe the car could be stolen or what ever reason they find a fault in the matter, they will not issue a Title to him until he proofs otherwise.. Having just A.S.I wont cut it..

This is why buyers should always buy vehicles that have titles. You dont want to be shocked when you go to the DMV and find out you cant get a title for different reasons..

Also This D90 will never get Cali Plates with 19j unless doing it illegally..
Old June 24th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Tomandreann
Tom Johnson
None

Quote:
California buyers are very Anal about the title and the smog issue. They will not buy this vehicle unless it has cali title. Very few here in cali have the balls to drive with different state plates.

Even If he had given you the correct information about the A.S.I, it is still not okay because he still doesn't have a title in hand..
Its better for the buyers to buy a vehicle with a title in hand instead of having to take all the import/customs/etc. paperwork to the DMV and have it titled themselves..

Did he show you any other paperwork other then A.S.I? for example US Customs? Italian Customs? import documents?

The reason the car needs to be titled by the importer is because the States DMV checks to see if the Vin Numbers matches, if it has correct bill of sale from Italy, correct paperwork by US Customs and if maybe the car could be stolen or what ever reason they find a fault in the matter, they will not issue a Title to him until he proofs otherwise.. Having just A.S.I wont cut it..

This is why buyers should always buy vehicles that have titles. You dont want to be shocked when you go to the DMV and find out you cant get a title for different reasons..

Yes, he showed us the import paperwork where he marked 1987 for the year. It made it through customs...so much for them checking the VIN! That was the first thing I did and it took 2 min to find the problem with the year. And I'm new at this! Thanks to Will H. for his .pdf about decoding the VIN.
Afterwards, he sent us an email that he didn't know what to say about the discrepancy other than it is too late now to change. BS! It is at the right point to change: while still with the "importer" and not titled yet. He is just lazy. He is a retiree doing this on the side as a hobby. Not a Registered Importer.
Old June 24th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:

Can't it be titled in another state for a period of time then brought to cali?
Old June 29th, 2016, 02:33 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Can't it be titled in another state for a period of time then brought to cali?
to be honest, i dont know but i doubt it.. Anything is possible if you pay the right amount of money to get it done Legally or Illegally..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
ebay