Deal of the century for someone in colorado. Camel trophey discovery - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old June 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

definitely not anger, just seems weird...

good luck flipping your new toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I hope you put the right glass in, and not the privacy glass.
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I hope you put the right glass in, and not the privacy glass.
We shall see when I get the windshield and remove the plexi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Range Rover Classic(Daily)

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 12:18 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is the damage from the camel trophy or from it being towed later in life?
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Is the damage from the camel trophy or from it being towed later in life?
If I'm correct, mostly towing, as a fellow said he remembered earlier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:25 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohelluride View Post

If I'm correct, mostly towing, as a fellow said he remembered earlier.
So fixing it won't really affect its heritage. That's good.
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Enjoy the Disco, tolerate the banter, but please keep us in the loop ;-) :-) )

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Enjoy the Disco
I think that winky will enjoy the Disco up to the point where it costs too much money and then flip it.

So, speaking of heritage, what would happen if a body swap took place? The windscreen frame is probably damaged to the point of a real one not fitting and the door frames and rear section crushed to the point of glass probably not fitting and the rear door not sealing (since it is ajar in every photo thus far). If you transfer wiring, dash, rolling chassis (assuming its good), and all accessories over to an American donor body, what would this do to value?
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I think that winky will enjoy the Disco up to the point where it costs too much money and then flip it.

So, speaking of heritage, what would happen if a body swap took place? The windscreen frame is probably damaged to the point of a real one not fitting and the door frames and rear section crushed to the point of glass probably not fitting and the rear door not sealing (since it is ajar in every photo thus far). If you transfer wiring, dash, rolling chassis (assuming its good), and all accessories over to an American donor body, what would this do to value?

I agree with Jeff- once a 'donor' is used, it will become the donor. However, if you have ever dealt with the CTOC, they know every original scratch, dent, etc- quite amazing actually. That being said, with the story this truck has, and it being done by a participant of the CT, there is no precedent. To some it would be worth a tidy sum, to others not much at all- finicky crowd. And before all the sneering, yes I am a member, and watch this on a regular basis world wide...
Like I said, enjoy her as long as you want, then let her go. If gotten weather tight and mechanically sound, the value won't change while you have a rare bird with a rarer story line. The real value is in a bigger market outside the States, but no title is a tuffy too. To max the value Stateside, keep it until 25 year rule kicks in, then it becomes a legit driver, regardless of condition.
Bottom line: his toy, very well bought, endless options, and I wish him all the best!!

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:00 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I looked at some old pictures I had. Seems like I rode around with Bob Burns in that truck before it was damaged when being towed. At one of the Camel trophy selections in Grand Junction, CO. I was not a participant. but I drove out there to check it all out, many years ago.

Maybe you want to trade for a 25 year old defender Mr. Winky. (Sure glad Ron left the "T" out of his rant) I might like to own that thing.
Ha ha ha.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Lots of hating on winky. Grow the fuck up boys.
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Yup. Some real jealous little whiners in this thread.

To the new owner: congrats on your find. I hope you keep it, but if you don't, I hope you sell it for a huge profit.

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Maybe you want to trade for a 25 year old defender Mr. Winky. (Sure glad Ron left the "T" out of his rant) I might like to own that thing.
Ha ha ha.
This

The CT Disco will go to a great home (actually after ready the story probably the right home) and you will get a nice Defender.

Mr Winky/Telluride - make the trade with Pendy - enjoy another cool Land Rover that you can do as you like without getting crucified and keep chilling here on D90 - you seem like you have the thick skin already and have been real cool showing/sharing the CT Disco.
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
I looked at some old pictures I had. Seems like I rode around with Bob Burns in that truck before it was damaged when being towed. At one of the Camel trophy selections in Grand Junction, CO. I was not a participant. but I drove out there to check it all out, many years ago.

Ha ha ha.
I'd be honored to see some of them pictures. As everyone else, I am curious about where the truck came from and it's story filled in as best as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Yup. Some real jealous little whiners in this thread.

To the new owner: congrats on your find. I hope you keep it, but if you don't, I hope you sell it for a huge profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I see more envy than hate. Maybe a little hazing. More than anything its cool that Winky is hanging out after buying it. Alot of these stories end without follow up.

-Jeff
All good boys. He seems nice and maybe I was a little odd to him using those darn emoticons. I've been offered a pretty penny, but I still want the right documents to go with it. I'm honest about my sales and don't want it coming back to me one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
This

The CT Disco will go to a great home (actually after ready the story probably the right home) and you will get a nice Defender.

Mr Winky/Telluride - make the trade with Pendy - enjoy another cool Land Rover that you can do as you like without getting crucified and keep chilling here on D90 - you seem like you have the thick skin already and have been real cool showing/sharing the CT Disco.
Maybe so. Damaged or not, 10,000 hard miles is still very little my RRC has 230,000 BRUTAL MILES! I couldn't buy a new 4x4 ready to go that cheap. My goal is to grab a new windscreen tomorrow and side glass, install my caliper, take it up the hills during summer, and get the correct documentation/ info on it here in a few weeks, so it's good to go for the next person and they know what they are getting.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The pictures are pre digital age. But I will work on a way to share it.

If you have some serious collectors hounding you about a purchase, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to enjoy your time with it. You ought to run it up to 21 road and put it through its paces one last time before it becomes a museum piece somewhere.

Old June 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Dude, that truck is a "score - direct hit!"

Old June 10th, 2013, 11:37 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

"you seem like you have the thick skin already and have been real cool showing/sharing the CT Disco."

Yes completely agree with this.

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:

If you have some serious collectors hounding you about a purchase, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get to enjoy your time with it. You ought to run it up to 21 road and put it through its paces one last time before it becomes a museum piece somewhere.
Yeah, there is a place you can send your photos and they put them into digital form for you.

They can hound, but I want it to at least roll, so there is no danger of it breaking something even more, at least. And I spent a 100$ on the heritage report, so I'm gonna make sure it is the real deal....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Dude, that truck is a "score - direct hit!"

LOL
Quote:
"you seem like you have the thick skin already and have been real cool showing/sharing the CT Disco."

Yes completely agree with this.
born and raised in southern Alabama with a blue collar father and 2 military grandfathers...as thick skinned as they come.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Just for brevity's sake, lay the pictures down and take a digi picture of the old picture.

If they are all curled up, lay em under glass---turn the flash off.

Nice score tohelluride, you got it for $1500?

I'd give you $1600?!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I agree with Jeff- once a 'donor' is used, it will become the donor. However, if you have ever dealt with the CTOC, they know every original scratch, dent, etc- quite amazing actually. That being said, with the story this truck has, and it being done by a participant of the CT, there is no precedent. To some it would be worth a tidy sum, to others not much at all- finicky crowd. And before all the sneering, yes I am a member, and watch this on a regular basis world wide...
With that said, what if most of the damage is post CT, as it is in this case. Most of the brutal damage was not from flipping in the mud, sinking in a river, or sliding into a tree. From the video, the US truck wasnt damaged all that much (unlike the Dutch truck, I believe). Almost all of the damage came from a bad towing experience, unrelated to the actual event. Im not thinking that that adds to its heritage, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I see more envy than hate. Maybe a little hazing. More than anything its cool that Winky is hanging out after buying it. Alot of these stories end without follow up.

-Jeff
Its not hate on my part. I wish I had gotten ahold of the seller first but I didnt. No big deal. Im more with the latter part of what you said. Itll get flipped and probably disappear (again).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market