Deal of the century for someone in colorado. Camel trophey discovery - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Awesome pictures! I always wondered about how intricate the cage was. Does it tie into the roof rack at all? I read somewhere that the rack tied into the cage for weight carrying or something like that. Looks like that cage really saved it. I didnt notice the front windscreen being a giant sheet of plexi. Body looks exceptionally rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Great pics, def some serious damage but still...it's gorgeous. What a great piece of history.
r-
Ray
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would fix it only as much as required to make it water tight. I would leave the dented panels and just pull it out enough to fit glass.
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Just wow.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:50 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I would fix it only as much as required to make it water tight. I would leave the dented panels and just pull it out enough to fit glass.
100% agree. Pretty much perfect as is.

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2013 09:52 PM ------

And ToHellYouRide (love that mtn BTW) - thanks for the pics!
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Awesome pictures! I always wondered about how intricate the cage was. Does it tie into the roof rack at all? I read somewhere that the rack tied into the cage for weight carrying or something like that. Looks like that cage really saved it. I didnt notice the front windscreen being a giant sheet of plexi. Body looks exceptionally rough.
The roof rack bolt goes through the roof on the bars, looks like. Yeah, the guy said he couldn't fit a new windshield due to damage...I simply think he didn't want to buy one.....but I think there is someone nearby who could whip up a custom cut glass if it is that bad off. Maybe some of that non DOT Lexan race car glass. The passenger side is rough, mainly that rear quarter. But all the doors shut and open great. The back panel is in pretty bad shape, but the frame seems ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Great pics, def some serious damage but still...it's gorgeous. What a great piece of history.
r-
Ray
Serious is when it doesn't drive straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You read my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Just wow.
Indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 Range Rover Classic(Daily)

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:00 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Wow awesome truck while at the same time a serious POS! You are both lucky and cursed.
Looking forward to the restoration. Maybe you can find a Camel Trophy Patron to help fund the rebuild.
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:40 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Sell it as is for a small profit, Mr. Winky!

You don't need/want the headache this truck is going to be for the next several months or years. This is going to be a money pit and even after you fix a few things, there's no guarantee you'll get your money back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

100% agree. Pretty much perfect as is.

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2013 09:52 PM ------

And ToHellYouRide (love that mtn BTW) - thanks for the pics!
X2 best way to go.
Keep it as original as possible.
Having ridden in that truck have this strange emotional parental style need to protect.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
Wow awesome truck while at the same time a serious POS! You are both lucky and cursed.
Looking forward to the restoration. Maybe you can find a Camel Trophy Patron to help fund the rebuild.
I've been cursed for years, at finding rare/low mileage cars in the woods/desert, this being one of the rarest. . Unfortunately, if someone is paying to get it repaired, I have a feeling they would want to own it, yah know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
Sell it as is for a small profit, Mr. Winky!

You don't need/want the headache this truck is going to be for the next several months or years. This is going to be a money pit and even after you fix a few things, there's no guarantee you'll get your money back.

I'd bet you would want me to. Making it water tight, checking fluids/changing, and airing up the tires is all I have left. That might just break the bank, wouldn't you say? LOL. I'm pretty positive, I will not lose money. Feel free to make me an offer, also, feel free to have that offer shot down if it is a small profit offer. Simply, "Ain't nobody got time for that".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
X2 best way to go.
Keep it as original as possible.
Having ridden in that truck have this strange emotional parental style need to protect.
I'm way ahead of you guys. Trying to find a donor disocvery nearby with some glass in it. The back side window panel is almost flat enough for me to put some glass back in. The front I won't touch until I have a replacement windshield ready to go. Simply because the plexiglass is sealed up.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Yo, give me some credit for trying, Winky! lol

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Once you're done, is your plan to throw it on eBay with a minimum bid of $3k and no reserve and letting the market determine its worth?
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
honda50r
Alex
1998 Discovery

Registry
What a find! It's so authentic! I agree though, leave it cosmetically rough
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
Yo, give me some credit for trying, Winky! lol
Credit is given, though this isn't my first rodeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Once you're done, is your plan to throw it on eBay with a minimum bid of $3k and no reserve and letting the market determine its worth?
I've been offered much higher than that, so no reason to gamble. I already took a gamble to go get it and won. I have no reason to prove myself until it is being sold. If you want to make an offer, make it. Like I said, ain't my first rodeo, fella.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohelluride View Post
I've been offered much higher than that, so no reason to gamble. I already took a gamble to go get it and won. I have no reason to prove myself until it is being sold. If you want to make an offer, make it. Like I said, ain't my first rodeo, fella.
So, this is going to be something to be flipped then? Please sell it to someone who will do what needs to be done.

What would it do to value to get a solid D1 donor, gut it, and transplant all the CT stuff, decals (reproduced) and all? It looks rough and rather than just creating another band aid Lexan sheet why not actually do what needs to be done to make a real windscreen fit?
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
So, this is going to be something to be flipped then? Please sell it to someone who will do what needs to be done.

What would it do to value to get a solid D1 donor, gut it, and transplant all the CT stuff, decals (reproduced) and all? It looks rough and rather than just creating another band aid Lexan sheet why not actually do what needs to be done to make a real windscreen fit?
You misunderstood me finding a donor car. I mean one for some parts.... Aka glass......I found some discovery glass and if I can get it cheap enough, I will try to have it fitted. I have no idea if it will fit or not....because this was word of mouth. I dunno if the man just cheaped out and plexiglassed it, instead of fixing the windshield and just gave an excuse. I will update when I remove plexiglass. As of right now, it is watertight up front.

It will go to the right owner when I deem it road worthy. Aka, parts are in route.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
It will go to the right owner
= person with the most loot
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Possibly, I'm not going to give it away. If you are looking for a cheap discovery, I have a feeling this is not the one. But, I can help you find one, if you don't want this one.

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Possibly, I'm not going to give it away. If you are looking for a cheap discovery, I have a feeling this is not the one. But, I can help you find one, if you don't want this one.
quit with the f*cking winky faces, you're speaking with a bunch of grown men...
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Tohelluride
Mr. BBQ
1991 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
quit with the f*cking winky faces, you're speaking with a bunch of grown men...
Wow.......Well, since I presume you are a grown man that I am speaking to, buck up and deal with it. And please don't direct your anger towards me, guide them to the forum owner /Mod who allowed emoticons to be used in the first place. I'm not breaking any rules. But, You can call me mr winky, if you like. I approve of it. Have a wonderful evening!

94 Mazda RX-7 (Project)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market