Criminal, grey? No one cares?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Criminal, grey? No one cares??

Ultimate violation for extended Rover- and no one cares......
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D%26_fvi%3D1

Kinda reinforces the "limo logic". Collectively, there must be grossly more 'stretched' misc. marques, than total 'stretched', for lack of a better word, Defenders. Not to beat a dead horse, but when it is in your own backyard so to speak, it becomes a little clearer.
Now, if it just had a Tdi....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm having trouble following your train of thought, but it is amusing how he says "the hard work is done." That things gonna take big money to finish, and will probably still suck when its done. I'm hardly an industry insider, but how many different angles and support bearings should one driveline have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Poor sarcasm on my part I suppose. We get such tunnel vision when a 90 becomes a 110 or 130, when in reality they are all modular erector sets- and designed as such. As you suggest, this RR is a huge mess to sort out, and the length isn't even an issue- legally. I think we Defender guys get focussed on preservation of our small NAS herd, and forget just how many vehicles get modified beyond recognition. And that doesn't begin to scratch the safety perspective. All that said, beyond this, I suppose discussion goes to the standard "so what is legal" thread. Thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Must have cut the fiber optics and then said: "oh shit"..
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I kind of always wondered the same thing about custom choppers. Like those monsterous choppers that West Coast or American Choppers make. Do they have any standards for motorcycles or can I just weld one together and then go get it registered?
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM
rovertrader
Dale

It was the same w/ Boyd Cottington as well- a TV show, then jail time- a day I think. Then back to TV chop shop. My only point is we wierd out when a 90 morphs to a 110/130. But in reality, it is probably the safest transition "customs" get.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't think anyone weirds out when a 90 becomes a 110/130 when the conversion appears even reasonably legitimate. What I find odd is that people are willing to have a "45k" vehicle, and not just spring for a NAS truck as the basis. They'll pay big dollars for a 130 or something and then title it as a 1975 Series III. You're right, the argument that you stretched your 90 is much more reasonable than "what began as a restoration to this original 1975 Rover got carried away, and the result is this fully 2005-spec Defender - ha ha!"

I think Coddington got burned because he was taking titles out of the filing cabinet and assigning them to fully custom vehicles that were usually built from scratch or from shells that did not originally bear the VIN numbers he assigned them. I'd like to read more about that case though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market