CL scam - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
CL scam

I guess if it sounds too good to be true....

97 SW listed on CL for 19k, also on eBay for a more realistic 40k. CL scamer claims truck is in Huston and he has moved back to UK.
VIN SALDV3245VA122139
CL ad:
He goes by handle

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
D90 óriginalé
Please send money order to the UK, I mean I'm currently working in Somalia so please send a money order there

Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
I must be rather naive but what is the point of these scams?

Do people really send deposit money or something? Never to see it again?

I can't imagine being so foolish.

Just wondering...
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
Posting on CL is cheap, and it only takes one sucker to fall for it to make it all worthwhile....
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:05 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team
These scammers are pretty sophisticated, I've chatted with our local FBI agent who manages cyber crimes in our region and he explained a lot about how it works. Here is some of what I learned.

1) They almost always lure people in with too good to be true deals
2) They are usually trying to portray someone wealthy who is rich enough to absorb the loss.
3) The product is usually away from them like at their lake house which they just sold. Since they just sold it they need to get the product out of there and thus the urgency and great deal.
4) They often claim they will only accept funds through a trusted 3rd party escrow service like Amazon Escrow. The problem is the 3rd party Escrow Service is fake and part of their scheme. They even go so far as to have people answering a Google Voice number with "Thanks for calling Amazon Escrow, how can I help you?"
5) The people behind these scams are often from eastern Europe/Russia
6) These people will post job openings on sites like for "wire transfer agents" and "virtual phone operator". These people are used to carry out the scam but often don't know they are working for scammers. It's also a great way to get a native speaker so you don't call in and hear Dimitri's sketchy voice.
7) They are well aware of federal laws about wire transfer limits so they often request amounts that can be sent without triggering a review by the bank of the transaction. I forgot the amount but I think it's around $7,000.
8) Western Union has a product where the most you can send is $2,999 so sometimes they price the scams in order to fall below those limits.
9) Often they will use their shills which they hired from to open up bank accounts, accept the funds and then wire the funds overseas without the person knowing they are helping criminals.

As you can see some of these are pretty intricate scams and even people who think they are smart enough to not get scammed might get tricked. Most of them play on emotions getting people to do something stupid before they miss the deal of a lifetime.

If you see these scams on CL make them as SPAM ASAP so their listing will be removed making it just a little harder for them to find a victim. Heck, post a link back here and get others to report as spam as well so they will pick another product to use when trying these scams.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:43 AM
1997 Defender 90
Apparently the scam is alive and well and was listed yesterday on CL from San Diego, but now it's been removed. This time, the seller is purportedly back in the UK and the car is crated and sitting in Houston at a transportation depot.

The car is still for sale and I'm ready to sell it for $20,000. It is registered on my name, it has done 62,700 miles. The title is clear (VIN SALDV3245VA122139 - no lien, accident free). It is located in Houston, TX and I'm selling it because I'm not in US anymore(I live in UK with my family now).

The guy is now going by
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
He's trying to raise money for shipping. Lol
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Keith Armstrong
I'm sorry, but isn't "Craigslist Scam" redundant?

Your resident luddite,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market