Old February 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

CL 110 crew cab

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/580024352.html

Not mine, know nothing about it. Guy just sent me an email

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What do we suppose that means- title will be transfered to a us one ? Per everything I've learned that truck cannot be titled here.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Titles are easy.
Its the DOT and EPA certification that is impossible on a 2005 Defender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

I've seen that truck around here a few times, it looks ok. It's an automatic behind a V8. I'm pretty sure it had a Ga. tag on it when I saw it. I was curious who built it, left a note and an invite to our club (SOLAROS) meeting but never heard from the owner.
Mike
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just reading into it, but it sounds like it might be a '93 NAS 110 rebuilt as a crew cab, therefore still titled and registered as a 93 (but is now being touted by the seller as actually being a one and only hand built 2005)
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Just reading into it, but it sounds like it might be a '93 NAS 110 rebuilt as a crew cab, therefore still titled and registered as a 93 (but is now being touted by the seller as actually being a one and only hand built 2005)

Says the speedo is in Km. I guess it could be a Canadian NAS?
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The VIN would answer the question definitively...

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Nope, not an NAS 110 converted or re-worked.
He sent me more data on it in the email. Its a 2005 Defender 110 crew cab that was set up with a V8 and imported to the US. From the sounds of it it was on a Series III VIN, but can't confirm that.

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Unfortunately, another expensive parts car...

Why did the seller get the impression you were into that kind of thing?

Old February 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Unreal. Lookes like a decent truck. I like the look of the double cab, but not enough to risk 75k on the crusher.

EwS
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Why did the seller get the impression you were into that kind of thing?
They don't want me... they want one of my clients to buy their truck instead of us building them a legit one. They call and email here looking for an easy sale.
Can't blame them, its worth a try on their part.
I sent him an email back and asked him if it was DOT compliant and if it was I'd pass it on to my customers.
Never heard from him again.

Old February 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Unreal. Lookes like a decent truck. I like the look of the double cab, but not enough to risk 75k on the crusher.

EwS
The truck is decent but it's not fantastic. It sat in a Publix parking lot near my home for a few days, I'm pretty sure it was busted. I took the opportunity to look it over and it's not that nice up close. If it was legit I don't think it would be worth 75k. Just my .02.
Mike
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

"Hey is that DOT compliant?"
Now there's a nightmare question that would wake me up from a dead sweat in the middle of the night.
Forget Freddie Kruger.

But if it's already registered in Georgia, what's the chance that there is going to be a problem transfering a title? $75k is a lot of sales tax for the state.
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by d110pickup
The truck is decent but it's not fantastic. It sat in a Publix parking lot near my home for a few days, I'm pretty sure it was busted. I took the opportunity to look it over and it's not that nice up close. If it was legit I don't think it would be worth 75k. Just my .02.
Mike
A 10 footer? Too bad. I like the look of the truck. Sounds like it is over priced.

EwS
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its titled as a series III per Mike's response above.

Worst case-if you ever get in an accident and the true VIN comes up-which it likely will (how else can the shop fix your truck), pandora's box will open. Both insurance companies will go ape. The liability is 100% yours- ie your policy is void. If dot or customs are notified-which they will be by the insurance co's due to legal liability fears, they confiscate the truck and you have to pay to have it destroyed. They will also pursue whomever imported the truck and commited the original fraud and prosecute both or all parties.
I talked to George @ RDS about these. He can dismantle the truck down to the frame then he has to cut it up in little non-reusable peices- thats on the ones he buys @ customs auctions. if you get caught at the docks on entry you at least might be given the option of shipping it somewhere else. Once you go as far as fraudulently titling it you are always at risk.

I have heard stories of Rover dealerships reporting trucks to the Gman- not sure if they are true but I wouldn't take this truck to a dealer.

None of this has happened to me so its all hearsay. Take away from it what you will.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Its titled as a series III per Mike's response above.

Worst case-if you ever get in an accident and the true VIN comes up-which it likely will (how else can the shop fix your truck), pandora's box will open. Both insurance companies will go ape. The liability is 100% yours- ie your policy is void. If dot or customs are notified-which they will be by the insurance co's due to legal liability fears, they confiscate the truck and you have to pay to have it destroyed. They will also pursue whomever imported the truck and commited the original fraud and prosecute both or all parties.
I talked to George @ RDS about these. He can dismantle the truck down to the frame then he has to cut it up in little non-reusable peices- thats on the ones he buys @ customs auctions. if you get caught at the docks on entry you at least might be given the option of shipping it somewhere else. Once you go as far as fraudulently titling it you are always at risk.

I have heard stories of Rover dealerships reporting trucks to the Gman- not sure if they are true but I wouldn't take this truck to a dealer.

None of this has happened to me so its all hearsay. Take away from it what you will.
The important thing to take away is not to mess with grey or illegal trucks.

I am in the P&C business and can say that your scenario may be true, partially true, or completely false. It is foolish to even make general assumptions regarding losses till the claim has been reveiewed by coverage counsel and is in the adjustment process. Add variables such as where the loss occurred, where it may be litigated, how the policy was issued and endorsed and you can see that there really is no basic scenario of how a potential loss event may play out. That is why we have attorneys specializing in coverage counsel and specialize in loss litigation.

We have settled claims claims based on the loss expenses related to the litigation. In some cases it is just easier to write a low ball check than to spend 4 times the amount litigating. Simple economics.

The moral of the story stands true though. Do not buy a grey market or illegal truck. It may not end well for you.
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
The important thing to take away is not to mess with grey or illegal trucks......and can say that your scenario may be true, partially true, or completely false.
Are you sure his scenario isn't false, partially false, or completely true?
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any legaly imported truck with epa and dot exemption papers titled and insured as what it is will be fine. Thats anything older than 1983 or brought in before we closed the loophole in 1989.

I have legally imported three 1983 110's so far in 2008.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I'd like to know what makes it "unique"..... it's just a double cab 110?

there's thousands of them over here!! :LOL:
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
globallandrovers
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Any legaly imported truck with epa and dot exemption papers titled and insured as what it is will be fine. Thats anything older than 1983 or brought in before we closed the loophole in 1989.

I have legally imported three 1983 110's so far in 2008.
AND I HELPED... LOL

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
I'd like to know what makes it "unique"..... it's just a double cab 110?

there's thousands of them over here!! :LOL:
there are at least 5 110 2004 model 'kit car' double cabs that were imported by the overland shooting break company between 2003 and 2005, I should know because we supplied them the new trucks. Pics of them are on my website, as are pics of dougs, and his brothers truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags