rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
That's a Safarigard carrier...

I have one, it was/is a bit tough to get it to work with a SD rack but othewise good stuff...
I've been concerned about the same thing. It appears that there would be an overlap at the license plate with the jerry cans holder and a ladder. Can you e-mail me some photos of what you did or your set-up? Very curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Do you have a SD rack??!!! or just on the lookout for one? Last I heard ECR has exactly one left of the very last batch ever to be made so if you want it you better call soon...

I had to re-make the pivot points and beef up the bracket to handle the added leverage. Essentially the hole was moved back two inches and over one inch...

I'm visiting Nola this weekend but have a long list of things I have to do. If I get a chance and remember among everything else I'll snap some pictures for you otherwise you'll have to wait a couple of weeks for her to arrive in LA

------ Follow up post added March 31st, 2010 02:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It appears that there would be an overlap at the license plate with the jerry cans holder and a ladder.
that side is almost clear, the real issue is with the passenger side ladder and where the tire sits: unmodified you can't open the door with a wheel on the carrier...
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
No SD rack, just was looking around at racks and everything with a ladder appears to overlap the driver's side jerry can holder on the SG tire carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:35 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
It assumes your liguid assets yield a higher rate of return than borrowing.
The assumption is ridiculous.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:05 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
On another note, I want to know everyones opinion on the aux gas tank from Rovers Accessories. Mfj20th has it and it is slick in the sense that it fills in the wheel well but otherwise it scares the shit out of me. It sits under the passenger seat and if you dont have steps or sliders you can see it. I have no clue if this is the factory type set up but it looks so exposed that I would think it would be a detriment to going off road or even worse being in an accident.
Barry,

Not sure how exactly this is set up. I cannot find any pictures from Rovers Accessories. From your description, it sounds just like how my stock gas tank is set up on my Series III. Kind of hard to see but if you look right under the 2 white dots on the sill you can see the tank:

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al..._ELSA_#photo=6

It's a known problem for the Series trucks. But you can get this:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...kidplates.html

I just don't tell my passengers they are sitting on top of the gas tank. It's hard enough to get chicks to get in my truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah but your filler is on the outside. Nice skidplate though
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
No SD rack, just was looking around at racks and everything with a ladder appears to overlap the driver's side jerry can holder on the SG tire carrier.

Ahh... well like I said most of the trickiness I haad to deal with was on the other side so my solution may not be relivant for what you're concerned with if you're going to go with a non SD rack.

-Brad
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:47 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

josh i may have something that will work
call me
781640264zero
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham View Post
I made more in 2009 in my mutual fund accounts than 4.75%...
Well, Jon I would hope so. The broad equity market rebounded nicely in 2009. Investment grade corporate bond funds had a banner year as well (thanks to declining rates and wide spreads.)

Comparing the 2009 internal rate of return on an array of equity and/or bond mutual funds to a (mythical) 4.75% annualized rate of return on liquid cash is not an apples to apples match by any stretch of the imagination, though.

They are three separate asset classes and the risk profiles for each are night and day different.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham View Post
wow, 4.74%... with a rate like that it would be better than paying cash!
I guess that I should have been real specific in what I meant. I will try again: OK hypothetically I have $25,000 in cash sitting on my dining room table (never mind where I got it). What do I do with it??? I want to buy a D90. I also want to get this cash somewhere other than my dinning room table, because it is losing value due to inflation. At a 4.74% car loan rate I would put the cash sitting on my dining room table in an investment that historically has a better return than inflation like a mutual fund (like all my money goes after living expenses). I am not in my 60s, therefore a CD or savings account would not be a proper investment for me. I never said anything about a CD or savings account being better, or something I would invest in! I never mentioned it because that investment is one I would not even consider.
OK, hypothetical scenario II, the Credit Union is now charging 10% interest for a car loan. I would pay for the D90 with the cash sitting on my dining room table. (just to be clear I do not have $25,000 in cash sitting on my dining room table)
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Haha, loving this thread. Some random comments.

Gustavo you nearly had me picking up the phone

I bought my truck having seen nothing but pictures but did have two knowledgeable people look at it and drive it (one worked at the dealer - they referred him when I called for an independent inspection). There is no way any of the mechanical problems I have had could have been identified beforehand if I had flown out to look at it.

Barry, the tank is a non-issue. As others have said if for some bizarre reason Josh agreed with your safety concerns he could simply disable it and empty it. I look forward to seeing pics one day of your children wearing helmets while being pushed in their strollers (which is a very dangerous activity). LOL

Finally to keep this on post, Josh, don't worry about rack interference with the tire carrier. You can get a custom ladder made no problem and it shouldn't be expensive.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Finally to keep this on post, Josh, don't worry about rack interference with the tire carrier. You can get a custom ladder made no problem and it shouldn't be expensive.
That is what I plan on doing as soon as I find a Safarigard rear tire carrier. I should have bought one when Casey was making his rounds on this forum. But I didn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling with all the previous problems others had in the past.
You can have on made to your specs by Wolf Fabrication. It should be easy for him to fabricate on to work with a rack/ladder setup.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

I just phoned Mr Maddox, and one of his associates will stop by at the office to pick up the check. They promised me a rate of 35% on a one year term; I couldn't refused.

"if your liquid flows to 8 figures you could get twice that ...

or

for 6 figures , I can promisse a ROI of 28%"

Call me
Bernie Maddox
(800) ISCREWU
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:43 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

First, just now had the time to read the whole thread- thought it another joke initially- way to go Josh, congrats for sure!! Now, come on down to safari in a week on the way to Asheville, great first experience with your new 90.

As far as the whole site unseen deal- no one, litterally -can detect what will be the outcome of a used car, much less a Defender. I just took in a 175k mile '94 maintained by a CAT mechanic and it is fantastic. I have had low mile ones that cost a fortune to get right. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have had one or two of them...

Fuel tank- used to be the way of early Defenders- even military ones- and all those Series trucks to boot. I would bet serious money that there are many more oil line caused fires than side mounted fuel tanks.

Now go enjoy the truck for a while, and come on down next w/e!! Nice find Barry.

Old April 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Everyone has to make their own decisions on such things and there are arguments either way... personally I have a very low tolerance for risking leveraged capital and consequently wouldn't take a loan for any vehicle for a rate that high. The offering would have to be significantly lower (and fixed income securities significantly higher) for that to be a worthwhile trade-off... but everyone's stomach for risk is different so ymmv

I paid cash for every vehicle I own... and consequently the D90 is by FAR the most expensive vehicle I have
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Charles,

Seriously, my company had pay investors 10% return on cash investments , only condition was 1 year minimum, most of the investments have a collateal so no one takes an actual risk.

want to pick the phone now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Haha, loving this thread. Some random comments.

Gustavo you nearly had me picking up the phone

I bought my truck having seen nothing but pictures but did have two knowledgeable people look at it and drive it (one worked at the dealer - they referred him when I called for an independent inspection). There is no way any of the mechanical problems I have had could have been identified beforehand if I had flown out to look at it.

Barry, the tank is a non-issue. As others have said if for some bizarre reason Josh agreed with your safety concerns he could simply disable it and empty it. I look forward to seeing pics one day of your children wearing helmets while being pushed in their strollers (which is a very dangerous activity). LOL

Old April 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah we should talk, but my biggest problems right now are ones you can't help me with (spousal indecisiveness).
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbier View Post
charles,

seriously, my company had pay investors 10% return on cash investments , only condition was 1 year minimum, most of the investments have a collateal so no one takes an actual risk.

Want to pick the phone now?
i'm in!!!!!!
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Charles,

Seriously, my company had pay investors 10% return on cash investments , only condition was 1 year minimum, most of the investments have a collateal so no one takes an actual risk.

want to pick the phone now?
(We should start a separate thread on this investment discussion...)

Well, I'd be interested in talking to you about it. The claim of a 10% annualized rate of return with 'no risk' gets my attention, for a little while anyway. (Not to be argumentative, but there's ALWAYS some type of risk.)

How can I contact you?
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah seriously you guys are making this thread nerd central and it's supposed to be all about me and my new cool truck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
90, ac