Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old November 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
AutoCheck/CarFax discrepancy?????

Looking at the

AutoCheck reads fine but CarFax is showing total loss?

Anybody run across this before?

Thanks for the time!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2013, 05:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have seen an accident on one, but not on the other. Since it is a loss, I would stay away.
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
Looking at the following car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141117044271...4271&viewitem=

AutoCheck reads fine but CarFax is showing total loss?

Anybody run across this before?

Thanks for the time!!!!!
Could you post the CarFax here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Could you post the CarFax here?
I talked with seller and am double checking VIN.

Will post CarFax if dealer ran incorrect VIN.

Stay tuned!!!!
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I talked with seller and am double checking VIN.

Will post CarFax if dealer ran incorrect VIN.

Stay tuned!!!!
Did you ever figure out the VIN? Is it not SALDV3243VA120423 , because the AutoCheck seems to link up with what he describes for the vehicle's location(s). Does the CarFax provide the same states of registration and just the Total Loss is what is different?

Funny how (per the seller's description) this is all that ECR did, but it somehow cost close to $30k for what would usually top out at probably $6-7k elsewhere. Unless he's just being sarcastic on how much the ECR work cost. Truck looks good though. If the vehicle history checks out I say get on a plane and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay ad spotter1
The reason I purchased this Defender is because it was completely rust free and was not subject to harsh treatment, beach use, road salt or adolescent drivers. I had it shipped directly to East Coast Rovers in Maine to fix anything that was wrong. They did the following. Install dual Optimum batteries, and a battery disconnect switch. Replaced all hinges (door, rear door, hood) with upgraded stainless steel hinges. Replaced the oil cooler hose with an upgraded braided stainless steel line so that my new Defender would not fall victim to the engine fire that so commonly claim NAS Defenders. The other problem that they corrected is the constantly flooding and shorting rear tail lights that I had replaced with LED sealed units so no more issues there. While it was there, I thought it was a good idea to replace the starter, alternator, and idler pulley which is a wise preventative maintenance item given the cost of a breakdown. I also had all fluids flushed and changed and replaced with synthetic lubricants, rust inhibited coolant, DOT brake fluid. The serpentine belt was changed along with new hoses. They also installed HELLA headlights which upgraded the stock lights and installed a bull bar with additional two fog lamps. I had both knuckle seals replaced, although they were not leaking it is a wear item on the Land Rovers and they eventually do leak. I also approved them installing the Brembo slotted disc brakes for improved breaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBay ad spotter1
They finished it off with a full set of heavy Defender floor mats and cargo area mats. The vehicle better than new when they were done (at almost the cost of what a new one I might add!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...#ht_466wt_1105
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SALDV3243VA120423 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	84502   Click image for larger version

Name:	SALDV3243VA120423 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	84503  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SALDV3243VA120423 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	84504   Click image for larger version

Name:	SALDV3243VA120423 4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	84505  

Old November 18th, 2013, 03:59 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
VIN SALDV3243VA120423 comes back to a vehicle reported as a total loss in Texas in 2000 (for some reason CARFAX says "CARFAX began reporting this information on 02/25/2013"). Looks like the original owner bought it back from his insurance company and rebuilt it then it got involved in another collision in 2001. It's interesting he lists this as a two owner vehicle, CARFAX and other sources list it as three
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitysucks View Post
VIN SALDV3243VA120423 comes back to a vehicle reported as a total loss in Texas in 2000 (for some reason CARFAX says "CARFAX began reporting this information on 02/25/2013"). Looks like the original owner bought it back from his insurance company and rebuilt it then it got involved in another collision in 2001. It's interesting he lists this as a two owner vehicle, CARFAX and other sources list it as three
Thanks gs-

Now you see my confusion, I need to look into it more....anyone know how to pull a dmv report from the great State of Texas?
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Thanks gs-

Now you see my confusion, I need to look into it more....anyone know how to pull a dmv report from the great State of Texas?
Probably call and they'll provide. Or maybe call, pay them, and they'll provide.
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Funny how (per the seller's description) this is all that ECR did, but it somehow cost close to $30k for what would usually top out at probably $6-7k elsewhere. Unless he's just being sarcastic on how much the ECR work cost. Truck looks good though. If the vehicle history checks out I say get on a plane and check it out.
I thought the same thing too, but asked the seller and this was his response:

Hi, I can not seem to find the actual receipt of the work performed by ECR short of calling them and asking them to send it. but I do recall the price being around $7,000.
- spotter1
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
We get Autocheck/Carfax discrepancies a lot here at the dealership... It's definitely good to check both. We've never called the DMV, but I wouldn't spend money on it until I knew what's correct.
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Kevin, I sent you a pm.

Another thing I find interesting, the Ebay Autocheck has different mileage listed than CARFAX and other sources. It shows the mileage as 25,300 in Nov. 05, looking at CARFAX its over 74,000. The mileage listed when a new title was issued in 2011 is the same on both, but when it was totaled in 2000 the mileage was around 43,000.

And most states won't give you registration information about a vehicle you don't own since it does contain confidential information about owners.
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitysucks View Post
Kevin, I sent you a pm.

Another thing I find interesting, the Ebay Autocheck has different mileage listed than CARFAX and other sources. It shows the mileage as 25,300 in Nov. 05, looking at CARFAX its over 74,000. The mileage listed when a new title was issued in 2011 is the same on both, but when it was totaled in 2000 the mileage was around 43,000.

And most states won't give you registration information about a vehicle you don't own since it does contain confidential information about owners.
I'm morbidly curious about this so I'm going to run it to ground. Trying to get the service records fron the Gunn Land Rover successor to see if there is a smoking gun(n). Hah!

Thanks for the efforts Board!!

By the way, if anyone wants to know the secret of the Portofino red one at adventure motor cars, just PM me...

KCD
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
KCD,
Please continue to post what you find out about the white car. The seller did a nice job with the description and it's history. He appeared to be genuine on what he knows. But buyer beware as always.
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:12 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
KCD,
Please continue to post what you find out about the white car. The seller did a nice job with the description and it's history. He appeared to be genuine on what he knows. But buyer beware as always.
Thanks down-shift, and I will. I don't want to pillory the owner as he/she may have been completely unaware of any shenanigans before they purchased it way back when. I am curious if anyone knows anyone at ECR that could review history. I am sure that they keep these things on record and I am also sure that they would be interested to know if they are being used as a reference for a suspect 90.

Having said that though, I am not convinced that this owner is complicit in any nefarious activities, he/she may be as unaware as the next person, particularly if CarFax did not pick it up until a few months ago...it may be as simple as someone transposed a number on a VIN that was reported to CarFax....

Anyway, still a cash buyer for the right 97 SW!!! (Alpine or Coniston) but emotionally available for Arles or Portofino!)

Thanks Board...

KCD
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:46 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:

By the way, if anyone wants to know the secret of the Portofino red one at adventure motor cars, just PM me...

KCD
This isn't a secret board, just post up what you know about the red truck over in your other thread; I'm sure we'd all like to hear it, as the truck is a conundrum of sorts.
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
This isn't a secret board, just post up what you know about the red truck over in your other thread; I'm sure we'd all like to hear it, as the truck is a conundrum of sorts.

Excellent point rijosha, didn't mean any subterfuge...
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Can someone post the carfax info in question - curious about this discrepancy as well
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
CarFax (i hope)

Not sure if this uploaded but here is CarFax..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf carfax120423.pdf (437.8 KB, 82 views)
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
That's weird. Can you update the Red SW thread as well?
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
From some casual research it looks like Carfax gained access to a database of totaled cars it previous did not have access to and fed this new information in 2/25/13 as this same date is used for others in this situation.

As you would expect when you bought a car before this date, checked Carfax and thought you're good and then are now trying to sell / trade the car in you get a nice suprise there. Still might be an error in VIN on the database and or feeding it into Carfax but I'd guess not. Good thing you ran a Carfax as this looks like a solid deal. I agree that I don't think the current owner was aware of this and wasn't trying to hide anything - he prob pulled a Carfax too when he bought it and saw it was clean.

------ Follow up post added November 19th, 2013 03:23 PM ------

Current seller is also selling his Ferrari 612:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141115985877

If that has a clean autocheck but bad Carfax then we can start questioning or he's just double unlucky

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market