Old November 19th, 2013, 03:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
From some casual research it looks like Carfax gained access to a database of totaled cars it previous did not have access to and fed this new information in 2/25/13 as this same date is used for others in this situation.

As you would expect when you bought a car before this date, checked Carfax and thought you're good and then are now trying to sell / trade the car in you get a nice suprise there. Still might be an error in VIN on the database and or feeding it into Carfax but I'd guess not. Good thing you ran a Carfax as this looks like a solid deal. I agree that I don't think the current owner was aware of this and wasn't trying to hide anything - he prob pulled a Carfax too when he bought it and saw it was clean.
It certainly looks like something at least took the truck off of the road for a few months in 2000 when the Total Loss supposedly happened. On 1/20/2000 the mileage was 43,597 and on 11/07/2000 it was 46,360; which was less than 3,000 miles in 9 months. That's probably above average for most of us, but that's actually way below average from how many miles he usually put on the truck. In the 16 months just before 1/20/2000 it was driven 20,000 miles, and in the 9.5 months immediately following 11/07/2000 it was driven 10,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It certainly looks like something at least took the truck off of the road for a few months in 2000 when the Total Loss supposedly happened. On 1/20/2000 the mileage was 43,597 and on 11/07/2000 it was 46,360; which was less than 3,000 miles in 9 months. That's probably above average for most of us, but that's actually way below average from how many miles he usually put on the truck. In the 16 months just before 1/20/2000 it was driven 20,000 miles, and in the 9.5 months immediately following 11/07/2000 it was driven 10,000 miles.
Yep agree that mileage supports it as well so I think it's likely this was a Total Loss that was just recently reported as Carfax gained access to a new total loss database. I don't think current owner was aware and heck still might be an error but sure looks like it was a Total Loss that now stains the Carfax.
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Portofino NOT Monza

Quote:
This isn't a secret board, just post up what you know about the red truck over in your other thread; I'm sure we'd all like to hear it, as the truck is a conundrum of sorts.
I agree with rijosho and apologize for any confusion, I am still interested in the Monza but trying to come to grips with no air and no rear seats.I love the story though, if true...Kids are grown and I have a Silver Lab that I could throw in the back but since air con is about 7k and this is Oklahoma, driving it without air might be a stretch,

Anyway, my understanding of the background on the Portofino that's on Ebay is that the the chassis has closer to 287k. It was sold to the LR dealer for about 15k and resold for about 22k. As someone mentioned, lots of buffing and wax and respray of arches and headlamp surrounds, etc....if anyone has followed the thread on the white 90 I was interested in, I guess the lesson is NEVER trust only one source, be it CarFax, Autocheck, etc. I have come to learn that the sleuthing on this Board is unparallelled and of immense benefit.

Having said that however, I'm still trying to decide "total loss" in Texas. Apparently, and from 2 minutes of research, in Texas that can mean a stolen car that was not recovered in a specific time frame... anyway, thanks again for a terrific Board..

KCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2013, 01:36 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
Having said that however, I'm still trying to decide "total loss" in Texas. Apparently, and from 2 minutes of research, in Texas that can mean a stolen car that was not recovered in a specific time frame... anyway, thanks again for a terrific Board..

KCD

According to the original insurer is was a total loss due to an accident.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitysucks View Post
According to the original insurer is was a total loss due to an accident.

Well, I guess that's that!

Two quick hypothetical questions though:

1. How much was a 97 Wagon worth in 2000?

2. How much diminished value should be attributed to "total loss"? Half?

Thanks again Board!!
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:40 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
From the seller:
"I have no idea why this carfax is reporting conflicting information. I am the second owner (and the third) when I put RI plates on the vehicle and had to transfer it from my company to me personally because RI does not allow corp plates without a business in the state. ECR completely combed over the vehicle and would have known if there was any rebuilding of this vehicle since they note when things as small as a washer or screw are missing, and they found no such item like this on this vehicle."
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
1. How much was a 97 Wagon worth in 2000?
Pretty consistently in the $30's. It was before the Internet bubble of 2001, plus it had been 3 years since the last NAS D90 came over, so people were realizing that there weren't any more coming our way at that point.

But I'm not sure how that matters. Are you just trying to judge how messed up it may have been when it was supposedly salvaged? Probably difficult to say.
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Pretty consistently in the $30's. It was before the Internet bubble of 2001, plus it had been 3 years since the last NAS D90 came over, so people were realizing that there weren't any more coming our way at that point.

But I'm not sure how that matters. Are you just trying to judge how messed up it may have been when it was supposedly salvaged? Probably difficult to say.
I am and I am also trying to figure out how much this car would be worth assuming the CarFax is accurate. Also, according the my limited reading of the Texas DMV site, if you have 2 out of 3 pieces on information, ie, accident location and an involved's name, they will send you the report for 6 bucks. The previous owner was apparently a dentist in Austin.

Anybody know anyone at ECR?
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Just call ECR - he used to be an active member here. Last time someone from here wanted info on a truck they serviced, he wanted $50-100 to go find the paperwork at their other facility though. This looks like an older build, so you may run into the same willingness.

To me, salvaged is salvaged, and worth a lot less than a clean title, as it'll be far more difficult to sell (when it comes time) because there will be many questions (as there are now).
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The seller of the 97' white SW is a forum member (one post): http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=72
Old November 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Quote from there owner this AM via text:
" I have never seen this before. I have no idea why this could be on the record since the vehicle has never been apart, no less a "Total Loss""
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorman View Post
Quote from there owner this AM via text: " I have never seen this before. I have no idea why this could be on the record since the vehicle has never been apart, no less a "Total Loss""
I thought kevincdoyle from here had mentioned this issue to him/the owner already.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Absolutely. I was a bit surprised to see it on EBay again at &42.. I believe another member visited with him also.
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:43 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Any word from the previous owner ?
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:02 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Did the seller provide anyone w his contact info?
Old November 30th, 2013, 02:07 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Sorry Mark the Defender sold for $42k this morning after rigorous inspection The vehicle was all original.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Mark, if you bought it you should know the insurance company that paid out on the total loss confirmed that the D90 (with the matching VIN number associated with the D90 for sale) was in fact a total loss out of a collision. Payout was made to the original owner, then he bought it back from the insurance company. I'm not sure how it has a clean title as the eBay seller says, but it has been in at least two collisions with one being a total loss.

That's why I was wondering if the previous owner had replied to Kevin.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:23 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitysucks View Post
Mark, if you bought it you should know the insurance company that paid out on the total loss confirmed that the D90 (with the matching VIN number associated with the D90 for sale) was in fact a total loss out of a collision. Payout was made to the original owner, then he bought it back from the insurance company. I'm not sure how it has a clean title as the eBay seller says, but it has been in at least two collisions with one being a total loss.

That's why I was wondering if the previous owner had replied to Kevin.
I never heard back from the Dr. in Texas. His name is Weil (wheel) and is in Austin.

That is why I shied away. Still looking tho!!!
1995 (must have air) or 97 Wagon, White preferred.

Thanks Board!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market