Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:53 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Another Sketchy eBay Truck

Land Rover Defender | eBay

2012 90 - Mexican Defender, for sale in California. Ad mentions this: "The procedure for the registration of this car may vary in each State and is responsibility of the buyer."

Should this be flagged?

EDIT - 2013 110 by same seller - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...m=182025252300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2016, 04:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Nothing sketchy about it. Just can't import/register it.
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Nothing sketchy about it. Just can't import/register it.
Might have difficulty even "exporting" it as well, since it's likely here on a bond which would make it difficult to legally transfer ownership I'd assume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mexican trucks are allowed to cross into the US if registered and tagged in Mexico, just like our trucks can cross into Mexico.
They aren't meant to stay.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:20 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
when I drove across the Mexican border in the USA nobody cared what strange plates were on my 110 or what it was, they were only looking for a large pile of dope
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You know some UN-educated defender buyer will be taken in by this... SAD
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:43 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
do a glavy frame swap and slap your vin on it, if it wasn't so expensive it would be a viable option for someone with a ROW 90
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:52 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
do a glavy frame swap and slap your vin on it, if it wasn't so expensive it would be a viable option for someone with a ROW 90
because that wouldn't be in any way illegal ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:51 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
Should this be flagged?
No need to flag, but a YMMV tag might be funny. As in your mileage may vary on your way to the DMV, but it would most likely be your last.
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:29 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Might have difficulty even "exporting" it as well, since it's likely here on a bond which would make it difficult to legally transfer ownership I'd assume.
As Doug said, vehicles crossing from Canada or Mexico to the US do not require a bond. They are expected to remain in the US for less than 1 year. When in the border states, you see endless Canadian and Mexican cars respectively crossing each day and driving on US soil.
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
because that wouldn't be in any way illegal ...
nope....not at all Jason. Only thing "illegal" about that idea is the engine is not EPA compliant....but there are many, many, many vehicles that fit that bill.

All you would be dong is taking a Galvy frame, for your D-90 you have, and putting a bunch of parts together on it. What could be illegal/bad form is if you swapped your vin plate onto this vehicle.
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
nope....not at all Jason. Only thing "illegal" about that idea is the engine is not EPA compliant....but there are many, many, many vehicles that fit that bill.

All you would be dong is taking a Galvy frame, for your D-90 you have, and putting a bunch of parts together on it. What could be illegal/bad form is if you swapped your vin plate onto this vehicle.
Thats OK then as i'm buying Puma truck in London ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

So how would this work - if someone were to buy this wouldn't it be considered an illegally imported vehicle the instant the sale closes. At that point it is no longer a valid Mexican registration.

What bugs me about this ad is that the "procedure for the registration of this car may vary in each State" is misleading to a buyer. Yes it is true that registering an fresh import does vary, but guess what - It is not legally imported.
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
You know some UN-educated defender buyer will be taken in by this... SAD
Then weeks later they come here to whine that they weren't able to register their new truck in California.....and they can't find the seller to get their money back.......and CBP arrived at 5:30am this morning looking for the truck........

Doing my standard sticking the VIN number here so its searchable: saldvbr83ca426795
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:18 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
when I did that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
As Doug said, vehicles crossing from Canada or Mexico to the US do not require a bond. They are expected to remain in the US for less than 1 year. When in the border states, you see endless Canadian and Mexican cars respectively crossing each day and driving on US soil.
well that less then 1 year permit is a bit of a joke also. I can think of a few vehicles that have gone missing over the years. When I drove around with European plates in the 90's I got a few extra parking tickets in NYC, Boston, Chicago ...they might still be looking for that truck. Then drove it to Mexico via the Baja and back in Brownsville TX and nobody ever asked me for anything. When it came time to ship back to Europe it turns out I never had a 1 year permit, WW accidentally let me drive out of the gates in Newark and thus shipping it back turned into a major headache for them, they told US customs I had driven in from Mexico... that was the 1st RoRo vessel and I didn't know about Raymond Blvd. Should have never shipped it back was worth 5x here.
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:55 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
nope....not at all Jason. Only thing "illegal" about that idea is the engine is not EPA compliant....but there are many, many, many vehicles that fit that bill. All you would be dong is taking a Galvy frame, for your D-90 you have, and putting a bunch of parts together on it. What could be illegal/bad form is if you swapped your vin plate onto this vehicle.
That's basically what I was suggesting. You couldn't just put your vin plate under the hood but you could buy it as 'parts' never register the vin and potentially skirt the issue.

You could buy a puma in the uk; have it disassembled and reassemble stateside on a new frame as parts importation is legal. The cost of having a truck removed from the frame and disassembled plus the cost of another 'donor' vin makes this a rather unattractive option. Where's there's a checkbook there's a way for anything.
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

There have been a few other Puma engine trucks on Ebay lately. A pickup just sold. It had the Puma motor, dash, bulkhead, transmission, hood etc.
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
There have been a few other Puma engine trucks on Ebay lately. A pickup just sold. It had the Puma motor, dash, bulkhead, transmission, hood etc.
Why skirt around and sugar coat calling these trucks what they actually are?
Old February 17th, 2016, 09:54 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

1. Buy a new defender (either this on on eBay or one in the ROW and get it on US soil).
2. Either take the truck apart before it gets here (ROW) or disassemble the one on eBay.
3. Take a 25+ year old legally imported vehicle or NAS and take it apart.
4. Rebuild your 25+/NAS truck using a galved frame and every other part from the Step 1 vehicle with the exception of the VIN plate (brake booster?)

This would be VIN swapping - plain and simple. Would love to hear from one of the companies like ECR or Himalaya as to why they simply do not do this (import disassembled cars).

If you were to buy all of the parts ala carte that might be a different story.

Importing info.

Quote:
From the CBP: NEVER purchase a used vehicle in the U.S. if the owner cannot show that it is currently registered in the U.S. and demonstrate that it conforms to DOT and EPA standards.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
not worth it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
ebay