Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Am I off base on my asking price?

--NOTE-- I put this in the flea market to respect the For Sale section because I am in fact looking for feedback

I recently posted my 94 D90 on CL in NJ/NYC area at $33K OBO. Below is the truck history and work I've put in over the last 3 years. I happen to live in an area where there are folks with deep pockets of disposable income (Were that the case, I would keep my 90 and also enjoy my soon to be owned 84 110 double cab from Phil.) and its possible i'll get a local sale.

I would appreciate honest opinions on the truck and pricing and I will absolutely consider all offers should anyone be interested. Don(another member) has seen the truck and the work done over the last few years as well in case anyone wants a outside opinion.

Link to a slideshow of photos: http://sryc.net/defender90.html

"written for non Defender folks"
1994 #994
3.9L V8 Manual
Clear NJ Title

New clutch master and slave cylinder and heat shield
Bigger 4 core radiator in stock radiator
New viscous radiator fan
New water pump,
Rebuilt power steering pump
New Cloyes roller timing chain
Rebuilt oil pump and new timing cover gasket.
New intake manifold gasket aka valley pan gasket.
Replaced stock Lucas fuel injectors with Bosch 4 hole pattern
K&N air filter
New Spark Plugs and plug wires
New Magnaflow y pipe, cats, and exhaust system, passed NJ Emissions
New brake discs and rebuilt original calipers.
New fuel filter and replaced fuel pump as well as new 10mm aluminum fuel tank skid plate.
R380 transmission rebuilt with Ashcroft UK kit, less than 100 miles on the trans.
New redline fluids in transmission and transfer case.

Body

Replaced doors from another 94(hello bubba's) that were, rhino lined, and dynamat'ed.
Removable glass two piece door tops
ARB bull bar winch bumper installed(no winch)-recently repainted
New rubber bulkhead vent seals= no more leaks
Repaired rusted floor footwells with new metal
New three piece rubber seat box, floors, trans tub, and bulkhead insert. Originally made for military vehicles and now sold by Exmoor Trim.
Custom installed, removable rubber mat in rear tub.
Rear crossmember replaced with galvanized x-member
Rear tire carrier and third light re-powder coated and functional.
Safety Devices safari roof rack
Grey fiberglass removable hard top with glass windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
how many miles?
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:11 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
how many miles?
Looks like 89k based on the odometer in the photos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I can't open the photos.
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I don't think you are high on the asking price. Key word being asking... Real market value is probably in the upper 20's. You might catch someone sleeping at 33k but you should be prepared to sell it around 28 in my opinion.

I can't open the photos either this is strictly based off your description of a well maintained, usable, but not 100% original 94 NAS 90.

I am also not sure your description is doing you any favors. A lot of those things can be disclosed after the initial inquiries. Too much information up front keeps people away. You want them to contact you with questions, so that you have the opportunity to "sell" it to them.

Contact me directly I can help you put something together.
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:06 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
It's 89k miles and thanks for the info. Strange why some cannot see the images(granted the slide show is flash so no luck on most mobile and tablet devices. Thanks Adam for your offer. I'll PM you.

------ Follow up post added November 6th, 2013 10:10 PM ------

Josh, why can't you view the slideshow?
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:16 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

You might be better off just doing a big album on imgur.com or something. Those photos as really small.
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Matt - your 90 is very nice and we do live in a Defender friendly area. Your truck sounded amazing that night you dropped off the windows. And I know you have put a ton of solid work into it so I don't think $33k asking is bad at all.

A few things:

- like Adam/transient said the description might be too much info. You have done a lot but I think buyers in our area might want to see a dollar / hour figure rather than a list. I would spreadsheet all the work out and anyone interested you tell them you could provide documentation.
- IMO soft tops will be the sellers in our area vs a glass top and rack. The guy that bought mine has kept it in the garage and I don't think he has put the top back on yet. Another friend does the same. I might look into selling the rack and maybe getting a Rovers North top or something used off of the board. Although going into winter it might not be bad to have the glass top.
- add lights to that front ARB - I don't remember if you had them or not - I know when I threw my Hellas on the white truck and said I would include them my buyer was pretty excited about it.
- have you posted it on Autotrader? Or Cars.com?
- I am posting from my phone and can't see the pics - not sure what you used for a backdrop but that can go pretty far. Take pics of it with the beach or the Navesink in the background. I think a lifestyle shot would go a long ways.
- have you thought of consignment? I think Lomedico motors might do something. They had a red 90 on their lot earlier this year that I don't think was his. Your yellow 90 would stand right out and his shop gets a lot of traffic.

Hope this helps and I will spread the word around as much as I can.
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
All very helpful, thanks. I had resized them in the code. The actuals are much larger.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Yeah I see that now. Here's the full album. Why not just post it? https://picasaweb.google.com/1182516...191/Defender90
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I was originally planning to embed it in HTML and then adjust the width and height know I got the embedded slide show to function.

------ Follow up post added November 7th, 2013 07:47 AM ------

I'm also contemplating installing the newer belt rail for a ST and having an exterior respray and the from roll cage parts powder coated as well. If I did part out the safari rack, what do you think that would go for?
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
I was originally planning to embed it in HTML and then adjust the width and height know I got the embedded slide show to function. ------ Follow up post added November 7th, 2013 07:47 AM ------ I'm also contemplating installing the newer belt rail for a ST and having an exterior respray and the from roll cage parts powder coated as well. If I did part out the safari rack, what do you think that would go for?
You'll get the biggest bang for your buck by having the truck FULLY detailed, and removing your front headlamp surrounds and grill, and refinishing them so that they're not gray...and retaking your photos.

This is one of the worst times of the year to sell a soft top, so it's not going to fly off of the shelf. Even hard tops are selling slower. If it was an Audi with Quattro, this would be the ideal time to sell. Your price isn't too far off, so as long as you're willing to negotiate you shouldn't have any issues (aside from it being the wrong time of year).
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Matt, the price you set IMO is as much dependent on your timeline as it is supply and demand. If you can wait then don't budge on price. If you get tired of waiting then you'll have to sweeten the deal somehow to get it moving. Looks like a nice truck at a fair price, given you have time from the the supply/demand lines to cross.

GLWTS

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:42 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I can surely wait. The danger is when I have the 90 and the 110 double cab, I just may decide to not sell the 90 which will prolly not go well with SWMBO. I'm going to pull the grille and trim and resort those.

Have a great weekend.
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Matt you've probably seen but it's back up for sale again by the dude you sold it to, for $40k.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/4303305653.html

1994 Land Rover Defender 90 WE FINANCE EVERYONE !!! - $39995 ( GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS & SELLERS )

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
1994 Land Rover Defender 90 odometer: 90206

CLICK HERE TO GET PRE APPROVED IN SECONDS

1994 Land Rover Defender 90 2dr Convertible Manual Black on Yellow Yellow 940615 Look what just came in... With 90206 miles, a 1994 Land Rover Defender 90. Color: Yellow on Yellow Yellow Engine: 0 8 Cylinder Engine Stock number: 940615 Transmission: Manual Miles: 90,206 CONVERTIBLE, RARE, 5 SPEED MANUAL. Here's your chance to own an original 1994 Land Rover Defender 90. This vehicle will definitely make you stand out among the crowd as there are only so many Defenders out on the road today. With 90,206 original miles, it is just waiting for you to take it on the road and drive to the trails, the beach or anywhere you need to go. Don't let this rare vehicle slip away as these are a true rarity to see for sale. You can be one out of only 1943 owners of this vehicle imported to the US for that year!! $5,000 in receipts of service in the last few years! Clean car fax vehicle also! Call today and speak to any of our many sale associates who will gladly assist you in anything you may need to become its next proud owner.

Great Neck Car Buyers and Sellers Please call 516 487 5681 or visit Greatneckcarbuyers.com
Great Neck Car Buyers & Sellers 195 Northern Blvd Great Neck , New York 11021 cd655f09-3524-46b5-a37e-4ef954db3f55
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Matt, the price you set IMO is as much dependent on your timeline as it is supply and demand. If you can wait then don't budge on price. If you get tired of waiting then you'll have to sweeten the deal somehow to get it moving. Looks like a nice truck at a fair price, given you have time from the the supply/demand lines to cross.

GLWTS

Clay

^+1 to this, it's all about timeline.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Pics from new ad for posterity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Matt you've probably seen but it's back up for sale again by the dude you sold it to, for $40k.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/4303305653.html

1994 Land Rover Defender 90 WE FINANCE EVERYONE !!! - $39995 ( GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS & SELLERS )

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
1994 Land Rover Defender 90 odometer: 90206

CLICK HERE TO GET PRE APPROVED IN SECONDS

1994 Land Rover Defender 90 2dr Convertible Manual Black on Yellow Yellow 940615 Look what just came in... With 90206 miles, a 1994 Land Rover Defender 90. Color: Yellow on Yellow Yellow Engine: 0 8 Cylinder Engine Stock number: 940615 Transmission: Manual Miles: 90,206 CONVERTIBLE, RARE, 5 SPEED MANUAL. Here's your chance to own an original 1994 Land Rover Defender 90. This vehicle will definitely make you stand out among the crowd as there are only so many Defenders out on the road today. With 90,206 original miles, it is just waiting for you to take it on the road and drive to the trails, the beach or anywhere you need to go. Don't let this rare vehicle slip away as these are a true rarity to see for sale. You can be one out of only 1943 owners of this vehicle imported to the US for that year!! $5,000 in receipts of service in the last few years! Clean car fax vehicle also! Call today and speak to any of our many sale associates who will gladly assist you in anything you may need to become its next proud owner.

Great Neck Car Buyers and Sellers Please call 516 487 5681 or visit Greatneckcarbuyers.com
Great Neck Car Buyers & Sellers 195 Northern Blvd Great Neck , New York 11021 cd655f09-3524-46b5-a37e-4ef954db3f55
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	88847   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	88848  

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	88849   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	88850  

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	88851   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	88852  

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 7.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	88853   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 8.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	88854  

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 9.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	88855   Click image for larger version

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 9-1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	88856  

Name:	GREAT NECK CAR BUYERS flananuts 9-2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	88857  
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:33 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Looks like he had it repainted because the paint was shot, beyond shot. Everything else looks like it was when I sold it to him. I did repaint the light trim and the grille before he bought it. The owner of the dealership was a standup guy and he paid a premium to buy it in my opinion.

It's a good truck and it will make someone with a garage a happy customer.
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:34 PM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

In the last two photos, it appears that the hood release procedure is similar to mine--yank on the remnants of the broken release cable with a pair of pliers, hoping that this isn't the time the whole thing breaks off; and resolve to soon install the new cable that's been sitting in the back of the truck for several years...
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:45 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
No- it's one better, a section of parachute cord tied to the latch mechanism and then tied to the grille. Stay Classy San - DIAGO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market