Adventure Trailers Drawer Systems for Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Adventure Trailers Drawer Systems for Defenders

[font='Arial','sans-serif']I was very excited when I learned that Mario at Adventure Trailers was branching out from making trailers and was introducing a product line of drawers. If anyone has had an opportunity to check out an AT or better yet, meet Mario, than you will understand my excitement. I was not disappointed as he is making the entire line of drawers out of a composite material that is much lighter than plywood.[/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] The D-90 drawer will weigh about 48 lbs. [/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] The first prototype drawer I saw had a Toyota FJ80 parked on top of it with minimal deflection of the material! Read and see more here; [/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'][font='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.adventuretrailers.com/drawer.html[/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] along with pictures of a test fit in my 90 (pics near the bottom).[/font][/font]

[font='Arial','sans-serif']Mario is willing to do an initial run of at least 5 of these drawers for $565[/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] a piece[/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] if I can put this together (a substantial savings from the one off price of $780). At this point I'm looking for people that will be interested in this drawer. Mario will be taking deposits once we have 5 (4 more beside me) and will have them built and shipped out 4 weeks after the close of the deal. I'm thinking that we should keep this running thru December 31 so we can have our drawers in late January.[/font][font='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A D90 closed copy 800.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	16885   Click image for larger version

Name:	A D90 open copy 800.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	16886  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I'm interested, but I need to measure the interior cargo area dimensions of my 110 to see if the 90 drawer will work.
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am not interested right now, but I am curious about this choice of composite material. Is it waterproof? At least for a soft top, I can't imagine going with anything other than stainless or aluminum for durability in the weather. But even for a wagon, I am sure driving rain and a host of other scenarios would result in them getting wet inside and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I am not interested right now, but I am curious about this choice of composite material. Is it waterproof? At least for a soft top, I can't imagine going with anything other than stainless or aluminum for durability in the weather. But even for a wagon, I am sure driving rain and a host of other scenarios would result in them getting wet inside and out.
The composite material that the drawer and box are made from is a closed cell polyurethane composite structural product that is used in the marine industry. It does not absorb water, rot or react with any metals. In addition it is sprayed with a two-part polyurethane coating with texture, similar to Line "X". The sliders are treated steel and the ball bearings are stainless steel. All hardware is plated steel. The latch is a combination of a polymer similar to HDPE and stainless steel. As you can see the box is extremely resistant to weather of any sort, perhaps even more than steel or aluminum when you consider the non-reactivity that plagues metals. In addition, I believe that this material is more resiliant to impacts than metal and as a bonus it weighs considerably less.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Good to know, thanks!
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

How is the box intended to mount into a Defender? Perhaps use the default forward facing rear seat mounts in the ST? Also, what about locks? Could one easily mount a tuffy lock keyed to match the rest?
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
How is the box intended to mount into a Defender? Perhaps use the default forward facing rear seat mounts in the ST? Also, what about locks? Could one easily mount a tuffy lock keyed to match the rest?
There is no prescribed way to mount it. I agree with you, for a ST I would use the existing seat bolt holes and am not sure myself on the SW. The proper way would be to drill some holes either thru the floor vertically or thru the wheel wells horizontally. The latch comes with a lock on it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
I'm interested, but I need to measure the interior cargo area dimensions of my 110 to see if the 90 drawer will work.
Did you measure the back of your 110? I'm assuming that the dimensions are the same b/t the 90 and 110.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97D90
Did you measure the back of your 110?
Not yet; it's in the shop right now, about a 3 hour drive away. I'll have to do it after the New Year.

I imagine the dimensions are the same, but I want to be sure after installing my new cargo barrier.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Can you provide dimensions?

Thanks!

John
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson
Can you provide dimensions?

Thanks!

John
Per Adeneture Trailer's website:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/drawer.html

Outside Box 32" wide x 8.75" high x 36.0" deep
Inner Drawer 27.5" wide x 6.25" high x 33.5" deep
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

TTT for anyone else wanting to join in on this group buy.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Andrew- Dale here- how have you been, well I hope. I am in for at least one, possibly a second for my Conquerer trailer. Do they all have to be said size ( I assume so, but hated not to ask)?
Also, the 110 tub is actually about 5" shorter ( less deep) than a 90, allowing for the seatbacks, but still plenty of room for a HiLift or ??? behind the drawer. Width and height are the same. What is the official order date, and when do you need funds? Dendy ( NashvilleRover) is also considering one, and if need be, we can post up on D-web to try to get a minimum order. Thanks.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader
Andrew- Dale here- how have you been, well I hope. I am in for at least one, possibly a second for my Conquerer trailer. Do they all have to be said size ( I assume so, but hated not to ask)?
Also, the 110 tub is actually about 5" shorter ( less deep) than a 90, allowing for the seatbacks, but still plenty of room for a HiLift or ??? behind the drawer. Width and height are the same. What is the official order date, and when do you need funds? Dendy ( NashvilleRover) is also considering one, and if need be, we can post up on D-web to try to get a minimum order. Thanks.
Hey Dale, all is well and you are still my hero for having a rear heated window!

There is no hard date or timeline with the drawer order. Would be nice to get the first order in by the second week in January since I know we are all busy with the Holidays. AT is making a few different sizes (see their website) but the idea was to have one specific to the 90s and 110s since no one domestically fills that niche.

As far as the funds go I will point people directly to Mario at AT for payments. He has asked for 3-4 weeks once the orders are finalized to manufacturer and ship the drawers. Posting up on D-Web would be greatly appreciated. I'll also get this up on ExPo as a cross reference.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

D-Web post made. ExPo is a great idea as well.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I'll take one.
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:05 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Maybe this has been stated and I am just too full of Holiday food to read correctly, ... but does the discount offer extend ONLY to slide drawers specific to the rear 90 and 110 tub, ... or does it extend to any drawer they make or that someone would want to have them make?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Dendy
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRover
Maybe this has been stated and I am just too full of Holiday food to read correctly, ... but does the discount offer extend ONLY to slide drawers specific to the rear 90 and 110 tub, ... or does it extend to any drawer they make or that someone would want to have them make?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Dendy
This would be for the drawer specific to the 90/110.

Going to be out of town and range until January 4 so will try and get this wrapped up when I return.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I'm in for one if the above dimensions are for the final product. (I have a custom seat arrangement so can't go over 36 inches depth.) I'm going to be off-line from Jan 3 to Jan 10th but please count me in.

DW
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Back in town from a wonderfull New Year's get-away in the desert! So far it looks like potentially there are five of us for an order.

1. 97D90 (Andrew)
2. John Karlsson
3. Rovertrader (Dale)
4. Doug Walker
5. Nashvillerover (Dendy) MAYBE?

TTT for anyone else wanting on the group buy. I think we give it another week so let's say Janyuary 12 will be the deadline. I'll talke to Mario and find out the details of how we should are to settle up with him.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I'm going to measure and I'll let you know before the 12th. Keep meaning to do it, but been busy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market