Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Looks like the prior owner did everything. I wonder what the asking price is on it.
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

He's got a separate listing up asking $6k for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
From the ad:

Reply sgvcw-3666683729@sale.craigslist.org [?]

Posted: 2013-03-08, 12:34AM EST

RANGE ROVER V8 '77 Body on '88 Chassis (Oxon Hill)

The Basics: 3.5 L 8 Cylinder motor; Automatic Transmission; 4 door Range Rover with Power Windows; Grey Interior Motor Rebuilt Approximately 5,000 miles ago.

The Fun Stuff: The prior owner started with an 88 SWB Range Rover Classic bodied car. He rebuilt the engine and resolved all mechanical issues - the car runs beautifully and shifts smoothly. The full-time 4 wheel drive works as it should and the center locking differential (with working low and high ranges) will pull you out of anything. Mechanically, the car is exceptionally strong.

The 3.5L was completely rebuilt; period correct, engine down to the block. New parts where sourced from Atlantic British and these included New: pistons, piston rods, Bearings, cam, planning the block and heads, steering pump, oil pump, water pump, timing chain, tappets, and all nuts, bolts, hoses and belts. The motors produces the original 150-155 BHP. It's extremely smooth motor and runs very nice. It currently has just over 5,000 miles on the new motor. THERE ARE NO OIL LEAKS and in a Land Rover product that is extraordinary. When the engine was out, POR15 satin black was used to treat the interior firewall, chassis and motor compartment. POR is fantastic and is used to prohibit rust from developing.

The body is straight. The aluminum panels are rust free. The metal underneath the aluminum panels has been treated and is currently rust free. On the chassis/suspension, the four coil springs were replaced with New Old Stock (NOS) 2-door Range Rover coils to give the correct stance. The spring rating is a 1/4 ton. All Bushing have been replaced: The self leveling strut bushings, rear bushings, new rear panhard rod bushings, all front bushings, new panhard rod bushings front, steering linkage, new pitman arm, new lower tie rod ends, new upper tie rod end, new steering box, new steering damper and tires. These parts have 5,000 miles on them. The brake calipers and discs were replaced in 2011, but it is time for new pads because they have just started to squeak. The prior owner wanted a more classic look, so he purchased a 1977 FLM Panelcraft 4-door body which had never been installed and fitted it to the '88 chassis. The result is a very classic looking machine with all of the modern mechanical advantages. Companies like Panelcraft created 4-door body kits for the original Range Rovers, because there was no factory 4-door option at the time. As a result, this car is truly a one-of-a-kind. You will never see another '77 4-door body on a newer frame like this one. The Panelcraft conversion kit was so well respected in the industry, that these kits were used by the Land Rover engineers to design and build their own factory 4-door Range Rover model years later. Aside from the body, the 1977 period-correct parts include Rostyle wheels, raised metal-period correct letters on front hood and back tailgate spelling R-A-N-G-E--R-O-V-E-R, Wingard Bonnett Mirrors (NOS), aluminum vertical slotted grill, aluminum head light surrounds, 1977 steel bumper with 'Starter motor hand crank hole', UK spec side marker lights/housing (NOS and very rare), rear steel bumper 1977, Scuttle (Range Rover) aluminum badges, exposed gas cap housing (NOS), gas cap (NOS), rear brake/turn signal lights, lenses and housing (NOS), By Land Rover aluminum Badge period correct (NOS). With all these parts on it looked amazing and absolutely period correct. The prior owner didn't stop with the exterior! Interior period correct parts include: the three spoke steering wheel, Radiomobile radio, Speedometer/Gas/Water Temp Binacle dash, period correct steering cover with period correct signal switches, headlight switches and wiper switches, a complete new center lower dash with Oil gauge, Clock, Oil Temp gauge, and Voltage. The lower dash also included the Heater switches and period correct heater switch cover and instructional plate on how to engage the center locking differential. The interior Spare tire cover is a crazy hard to find NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) Vinyl tire cover. What to do with the power window switches and the auto selector required a lot of work. After painstakingly searching the web, the prior owner found a Company that used to covert manual Range Rovers to Automatic transmission (JANSPEED). He actually found the period correct gear JanSpeed selector cover! In regards to the power window switches, he based my box on the PanelCraft 4-door conversion that also featured power windows and made the exact same box that houses the switches. The Quirks: To make the car as true to a 1977 model as possible, the prior owner switched out portions of the dash and didn't finish hooking everything back up, so only the odometer and the heat work (no other gauges, radio, a/c or lights). The original interior was grey leather, but it is pretty rough at this point. Its serviceable for hauling around pets and kids, but by no means has it been restored. The car currently qualifies and is tagged "historic" in Maryland, which means that no inspection is required so you can drive it as is or continue the restoration with the items I listed above. Also, to be pretty, the car would need a paint job. Right now, it's what I would call a "10-footer," meaning it looks great from that distance, but not much closer. If I was going to keep the car, I'd replace the brake pads, paint it and restore the interior. I am letting it go because I'd like to spend the money on other projects. It needs nothing to be serviceable now, but it will need brake pads shortly. Other than that, it is 100% ready to go! The Deal: I am looking for TRADES of similar value - don't be shy - let me know what you've got - my interests are too broad to list - just shoot me an offer by e-mail. I have clear Maryland title. Jet skis? Off Road Vehicles? Muscle Cars? Conversion Vans? Rat Rods?, etc. The Disclaimer: Please be relatively local or plan on traveling here. I will not ship the vehicle. Also, please don't waste my time with obvious scams. THANKS Location: Oxon Hill it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests Posting ID: 3666683729 Posted: 2013-03-08, 12:34AM EST email to a friend Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram). Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-673295701.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	67699   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3595482988.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	67700  

Name:	image-2824952570.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	67701   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3566052751.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	67702  

Name:	image-268631275.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	67703   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-704343022.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	67704  

Name:	image-3503938979.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	67705   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3727789695.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	67706  

Old March 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
What are those wheels called? I've see them on Santana's before but rarely on LRs or RRCs.
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

They are the wheels that the RRC originally came with all those years ago

Since the Range Rover did not come with four doors until 1981, this vehicle has been rebodied. That and the EFi clearly indicate that this vehicle is not as the seller claims "period correct"
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:24 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Aha gotcha, thanks Rocky
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Arran73
Arran Thomson
1987 90 soft top

Registry
[QUOTE=Rocky;420284]They are the wheels that the RRC originally came with all those years ago

As well as the early 90's
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Actually it is a 88 with 77 parts... and a bad job at that if you see it in person
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple9music View Post
What are those wheels called? I've see them on Santana's before but rarely on LRs or RRCs.
"Rostyle"

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
door