200tdi & 300tdi Engines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old December 15th, 2017, 02:59 PM
MOB993

200tdi & 300tdi Engines

Hi folks, Just putting out a feeler to see if there is any interest in 200Tdi/300tdi engines (or indeed any Land Rover engines) to be shipped from Ireland to where ever needed.

Here in Ireland there are a small number of Discovery's mainly 300tdi that are becoming available, mainly due to rust issues. With tighter vehicle testing regulations here there is no interest in fixing the majority of these so many end up in the scrap yard. The cost involved would obviously depend on the engine available. I did look at shipping a while ago and from Ireland to the New York is approximately $550. I can also source the conversion parts from the UK and ship with the engine if required.

I will be straight and say that I am not a mechanic and this will be done in my spare time to fund my own Defender project. I've done my own 19J to 200tdi swap myself and do all my own maintenance. I don't have a yard full of land rovers either and would be sourcing each engine one at a time.

Admins: If this is not allowed please delete this thread.

If anyone is interested please PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
speedpin
Adam
Looking ;)

Registry
what is your price point for an engine from radiator/intercooler to transfer case?
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IMO.... If you are not a mechanical person, you are just setting yourself up for a lot of problems with really unhappy people when an engine is found to be bad. With all of the costs involved in removing, crating and shipping, you really want to know it will be a good engine beforehand.

I would expect compression and leakdown tests and even better seeing it run.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
amen to all that John!
Old December 15th, 2017, 05:53 PM
MOB993

Never thought to put the thread here apologies.

I wouldn't ship an engine without testing and video of it running.

Price wise
For example I can get my hands on a 200tdi Discovery engine. Its sitting on a pallet with no ancillaries/rad/inter-cooler and has unknown mileage or history and would cost roughly $900 + shipping.

Another example:
A complete 1998 Discovery costs from $1200+
Located on the furthest possible distance from my location on the Island of Ireland (so max transportation cost to me) would cost approx $2100 + shipping.
All parts would be available including gearbox, transfer box axles and just cost a bit more in shipping.

If someone wanted a lower mileage/newer Discovery then it would obviously be more.

Alternatively I could just ship the entire vehicle but I think that would end up a big mess with customs etc. Not saying I wouldn't do it though.

Look at adverts.ie or dondeal.ie this is where the majority of the vehicles are advertised.

This is something I am just trying to get a feel for. I think my rates are fair giving people the option to buy either an engine without any history or an engine from a vehicle with known mileage/service history etc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
200tdi, 300tdi, engine, tdi